GERRIT FORRAD!!! It’s good to see some “old fashioned” tactics employed

Two out and out forwards - outdated 

A 5h1t liner striker playing off a target man centre forward - outdated 

The “back to front” long pass - outdated 

Direct football - outdated 

Wide forwards- outdated 

OK, I know that Garry Monk isn’t an out and out Long Ball Merchant but it’s good to see that he’s not a football snob and that he is pragmatic enough to employ more “traditional” tactics alongside new concepts of play. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, shandypants said:

Two out and out forwards - outdated 

A 5h1t liner striker playing off a target man centre forward - outdated 

The “back to front” long pass - outdated 

Direct football - outdated 

Wide forwards- outdated 

OK, I know that Garry Monk isn’t an out and out Long Ball Merchant but it’s good to see that he’s not a football snob and that he is pragmatic enough to employ more “traditional” tactics alongside new concepts of play. 

it's a good job we played that way at the city ground, the seats are red, and didn't show the bloodbath from the slashed wrists of the 'modern football brigade'.

just goes to show that when some pick up on the 'keep me in this job talking ba**ex' stuff spouted after motd, they learn all sorts of shyte, whilst forgetting that conceding less, and scoring more than the opposition is what FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Wide forwards outdated.? That's exactly what I would call Salah and Mane.

the things in his post that are listed as 'outdated' are things scorned at by the 'modern football brigade', NOT the best manager liverpoo' has had for some time.

lateral forward movement isn't actually one of them, as the 'mfb' perhaps prefer to see forward movement not 'go forward', after all they prefer delays in the back line, and m/f in their dour build up.

no doubt as dawson humped the first down the field yesterday, there were shouts of 'ROLL IT OUT TO THE FULL BACK, THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT WAY TO PLAY'.

• Like 1

Pace, aggression and strength in the core of the team is a must and goes a long way in English football. You need that bit of quality on the ball too of course but it’s something Carvalhal refused to acknowledge. You can’t do it with technical players only. 

When you win playing flowing passing football it’s as good as it gets. But likewise going to Burton and getting bundled over isn’t fun either. This approach is much more consistent and harder to deal with. 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Pace, aggression and strength in the core of the team is a must and goes a long way in English football. You need that bit of quality on the ball too of course but it’s something Carvalhal refused to acknowledge. You can’t do it with technical players only. 

When you win playing flowing passing football it’s as good as it gets. But likewise going to Burton and getting bundled over isn’t fun either. This approach is much more consistent and harder to deal with. 

why didn't you apply when coco did?

seems you know a tad more than he did, or does.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

I'm kind of glad that Man City's pass it and pass it and pass it till you make the spectators eyes bleed kind of football is now seeming to lose that gloss of invincibility.

there's nothing wrong with a game built on continuous tiptap, IF you can afford the best players in the world, and plenty of 'em to cover injuries and suspensions.

citeh struggle when their first choice defence is out, and aguero isn't up top, but peps side when at it's best isn't afraid of going long, and the same for liverpoo' something the 'mfb' know is just shyte.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCOWL said:

I think we can play both ways. That makes us dangerous.

I loathe the idea of “footballing principles”

Win.

yeah! if we're 4-0 (5 minutes left, and taking the pith) eff about with it in our half to shouts of 'OLE', otherwise go for a fifth.

you're only inviting someone 'leaving one on you' by tiptapping it about.

you'll note the 'mfb' aren't here staunchly defending their philosophy, it's not that they cannot prove effing about with it inside your own half isn't better than crushing the opposition under a weight of goals.

it's the fact that they're stuck in the tv screen having put their foot through it being forced to watch our first goal yesterday.