EFL Statement

1 minute ago, Peacenocchio said:

But what leverage would accountants have on the EFL or their decision?

If they can ignore a ruling in a court of law and apply a different burden of proof according to their own rules why would they worry about not complying with the fundamental principles of accountancy? 

I hope you are right btw.

Firstly there rules are pretty clear that you use the audited accounts as the starting point. Yes there can be adjustments for permitted expenditure, for non market value transactions but the fundamentals are clear cut.

Secondly they appear to be arguing that the fundamentals of the accounts are wrong. Basically you have included a transaction that the evidence / documents suggest otherwise. It's a ruddy big transaction. It's not like me estimating the light and heat accrual at 5k but it turns out it was 7k. This is a 60m transaction that fundamentally changes a huge loss into a small profit.

They can't be judge and jury on this - and there is no lower burden of proof 

5 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Big difference between theory and practice, his ins on radio Sheffield tonight was cringe worthy.  

I know qualified accountants who couldn't balance an ETB

I am old school I can still do that with pencil and paper. 

I still can't see how the price (value) of the stadium amounted to £60m. Existing use, reflecting a owner leasing it back to the club could only have fetched £20m or so - Leeds annual rent was £1.7m. Market value for a residential use would be less. 

6 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Firstly there rules are pretty clear that you use the audited accounts as the starting point. Yes there can be adjustments for permitted expenditure, for non market value transactions but the fundamentals are clear cut.

Secondly they appear to be arguing that the fundamentals of the accounts are wrong. Basically you have included a transaction that the evidence / documents suggest otherwise. It's a ruddy big transaction. It's not like me estimating the light and heat accrual at 5k but it turns out it was 7k. This is a 60m transaction that fundamentally changes a huge loss into a small profit.

They can't be judge and jury on this - and there is no lower burden of proof 

No way this ends well now....

I feel sorry for the players. As much as I moan about them and their limitations as a team, you can’t fault them for effort. As a group the core from the play offs is still here. Since Wembley they’ve suffered another play off loss - mentally tough to come back from. An unprecedented injury crisis where Carlos’ dream turned into a nightmare. The bizarre reign of Luhukay where senior players were frozen out and kids drafted in. Finally it looked back on track with Bruce at the helm, a proper manager. He jumps ship with his backroom team just before the season starts. Monk comes in and gets off to a good start, the foundations are certainly there to make something out of the season - and then bang this happens. It must have been an incredibly demoralising few years for some of them. 

They’ve been managed shockingly but you can’t really turn around and say they’ve not gave it their all. Because they have. Be really tough for Monk to lift them this season, because this will be hanging over them all season just waiting for the EFL to pull the trigger on the deduction. 

Just now, DJMortimer said:

Only side issues I know, but did this looming shadow have any bearing on the departure of Katrien Meire, the abrupt exit of Steve Bruce (although in his case the lure of his club and the Premier League are obvious) or the inordinate amount of time it took to employ a new manager?

I think Bruce going was as clear indicator that things weren’t right behind the scenes, I said so at the time. I know Newcastle is ‘his club’ but I’m convinced if he knew he could get us up, he would have stayed. Might be wrong, but Bruce is no fool.

11 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I flatter myself to be a little more pragmatic than you are portraying yourself to be.

Ultimately, I largely go along with what the club is doing because I don't really have much say in it. Doesn't mean I'm always happy with it. If you check my posting history, you'll find I have always advocated financial prudence because any short-term gains will usually catch up with you in the long run; as may be the case here.

I certainly wouldn’t want to look at your posting history, why would I !!! You don’t know me so don’t judge me. Just because I’m behind Mr Chansiri on what he has done, and trying to do at my club. 
It’s my view and choice.   UTO 

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Only side issues I know, but did this looming shadow have any bearing on the departure of Katrien Meire, the abrupt exit of Steve Bruce (although in his case the lure of his club and the Premier League are obvious) or the inordinate amount of time it took to employ a new manager?

Katrien yes, think it is obvious that one.

Bruce I'm not sure, his hiring was part of the stadium sale plan IMO to get him some cash and on board.

Manager, maybe in the fact that Chansiri wanted to save money FFP wise by sticking with Bullen whilst it was working.