Sit a few games out Westwood

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

6 – Chris Woods

Woods often found himself the second choice to the brilliant Peter Shilton in his international career, but that didn’t stop him from making a name for himself as a great keeper.

He played sporadically for England from his debut in 1985 until 1992, when he was selected to be the first choice keeper at that year’s European Championships.

Woods succeeded Shilton despite stiff competition from the promising David Seaman. 

At the 1992 Euros Woods kept two clean sheets, but despite his strong performances England were unable to score until the final group game, which they lost to Sweden 2-1, knocking them out of the tournament. 

In Woods’ international career he kept 26 clean sheets, the fifth best of any England keeper, and accumulated 43 caps.

I don’t give a sh*t how he played for England....here’s similar write up for his time with us

Woods was always hampered playing for Wednesday due to the strong short stretch of elastic he had attached between him and the goal posts making leaving his line almost impossible.

despite being an England international he made monumental errors in big games......in the 1993 he single handedly won Arsenal the FA Cup when instead of throwing his cap of a routine header from Linnigan that was straight at his chest he decided to bend him knees, turn himself in to a subbuteo esq keeper and palm it in to the roof of the net.

Around that time Wednesday would have won the league had they not had the double done over them by Sheffield Unitednwoth Woods culpable for losses in both games showing a complete lack of bottle and ability to keep his legs together

Absolute sh*te for Wednesday

7 minutes ago, mark77 said:

The first was his fault although the defender (not sure who) had time to clear but waited for the ball to drop.

Sat at the Leppings Lane end of the South Stand. Amazing save prior to the corner and was fouled clearly for the equaliser. However Dawson must be pushing. Been flawless when he's played this season...

I'll take that back, seen replay for the first time. Westwood's fault.

Just now, Ian_D said:

thought he played ok

Despite 

a) failing to instruct Fox to leave a routine throughball, conceding a corner instead 

b) dropping a routine catch at the forwards feet for him to tap in to the net for their first goal

c) flapping at a corner in the last minute allowing them to equalise

What would he have to do for you to think he’d had a bad one

• Haha 1

Tbf, if Dawson had made those mistakes, he would be getting absolute slated on here by the usual lot. 

A keeper of Westwood's quality shouldn't be fumbling one, let alone two relatively tame corners. 

He cost us today, though the complete and utter panic of the team as a whole didn't help things. Suppose that is the time when you are looking for your senior, most experienced players (Westwood, Lees etc) to set the tone and calm things down. Needless to say, that didn't happen. 

I still reckon the defender charging in on the final corner would be given as a foul most weeks.

But agreed an awful error for the first goal and for the last corner, he should still be getting a piece of it, regardless or not of whether there's a foul. Considering Dawson played well against Stoke and kept a clean sheet, he owe's Monk big time for keeping the shirt. Another performance like that and its time to give Dawson a chance, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Real mixed day for him today. Two excellent saves in the second half but both goals he was at fault for. Who’d be a goalkeeper!

A lot of keepers are great shot stoppers. Dawson is a great shot stopper, but gets abuse for not being commanding. Well Westwood has hardly been the most commanding figure recently and flapped at two corners today which resulted in goals. Why does he not get the same treatment?

It’s all well and good making top saves, but I start to get worried when I see keepers struggling with the basic stuff. 

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A lot of keepers are great shot stoppers. Dawson is a great shot stopper, but gets abuse for not being commanding. Well Westwood has hardly been the most commanding figure recently and flapped at two corners today which resulted in goals. Why does he not get the same treatment?

It’s all well and good making top saves, but I start to get worried when I see keepers struggling with the basic stuff. 

Yes, it is a bit sad seeing a really top class player wane a bit with age. He is still our best keeper but there isn’t the gulf between him and Dawson now that there was. I suppose that’s how is should be as Dawson gets better and Westwoood gets older.

Guest Willow Owl
4 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

Dawson wouldn’t be first choice for the vast majority of league 1 teams. Westwood is still very much one of the best goalkeepers in the league. A lot of fans have incredibly short memories.

And a lot of fans don't know when it's time to move on. Basic errors today cost us. 

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, Ian said:

I don’t give a sh*t how he played for England....here’s similar write up for his time with us

Woods was always hampered playing for Wednesday due to the strong short stretch of elastic he had attached between him and the goal posts making leaving his line almost impossible.

despite being an England international he made monumental errors in big games......in the 1993 he single handedly won Arsenal the FA Cup when instead of throwing his cap of a routine header from Linnigan that was straight at his chest he decided to bend him knees, turn himself in to a subbuteo esq keeper and palm it in to the roof of the net.

Around that time Wednesday would have won the league had they not had the double done over them by Sheffield Unitednwoth Woods culpable for losses in both games showing a complete lack of bottle and ability to keep his legs together

What a loaf of crap. That season he was brilliant and not for his saves we would have got no where near where we finished. Idiot 

Guest Willow Owl
1 minute ago, Ian said:

You’ll find you are in a minority.....he was consider poo for us by most fans

Not by those who went to every game that season. Short memories the wembley only brigade have !!!

3 hours ago, Animis said:

two corners; played into the six yard box should always be the keepers - he'll be disappointed at both goals.

Dawson would have been hanged drawn and quarted on here and never wanted to play again by some on here. 

I'm not sentimental and I have no favourites, I just want to see us win games. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Played in the team that finished 3rd in the top division and in the team that reached 2 cup finals whilst being England No1, so yes , you’re right absolute sh*te. 
Not a patch on Tidman, Adamson, Brad Jones, Stringer or Marlon Beresford

FFS

• Haha 1

Guest Willow Owl
2 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Played in the team that finished 3rd in the top division and in the team that reached 2 cup finals whilst being England No1, so yes , you’re right absolute sh*te. 
Not a patch on Tidman, Adamson, Brad Jones, Stringer or Marlon Beresford

FFS

Right on brother, Some of our so called fans are proper idiots. 

6 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Right on brother, Some of our so called fans are proper idiots. 

Would never say any Owls fans are idiots but It really frustrates me that some feel everyone is either “world class” or “w4nk” , the best ever or the worst ever.

The facts might be boring but carry far more weight than the gut feeling or bitter ranting of some of our OT “experts”.

But in the end.......

...... WAWAW