Sit a few games out Westwood

Guest Willow Owl
14 hours ago, Ian said:

Haha...anytime you want to compare games attended feel free to shout up

I'm 52 pal and been watching Wednesday 45 years. In that time we have been blessed with some very good keepers. Chris Woods was up there with them, but has nothing to do with Westwood debate. Stick to facts, and Westwood made 3 basic errors and 2 outstanding saves yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

I'm 52 pal and been watching Wednesday 45 years. In that time we have been blessed with some very good keepers. Chris Woods was up there with them, but has nothing to do with Westwood debate. Stick to facts, and Westwood made 3 basic errors and 2 outstanding saves yesterday. 

It was you who made the “Wembley only” comment....and years watching means nothing, it’s the games in those years that would counter your snide comment.....but seeing as you mentioned it I can trump 52 and 45 if it’s important to you.

and yes we have had some good keepers.....and Woods is no where near up there with them in my and many others opinions

Edited by Ian

39 minutes ago, RigBon said:

Around this time last year, Dawson had gone 16 (SIXTEEN!) games without keeping a clean sheet. Is that what you want to return to?!

No one wants to return to that.....I think we’ll all stick with Dawson’s clean sheet record this year.....or doesn’t that fit your agenda?

3 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Its not as though he's Ola Tidman is it?

OK a couple of gaffes, but every keeper does it

It’s not just a couple of gaffes though is it.....there’s probably half a dozen or more added to the injury issues

At Blackburn he was good 

Although early on he parried a ball that was easy meat but made it look like the ball was radioactive , they all seem to do this these days though up n down the leagues ..

However yesterday different kettle of fish ..

He looked like he was drowning at corners 

It's obvious words have been had on the bullshìt timewasting ...he's speeded up that crappolla ..

My take is that the  18 yard area is his back yard 

And he should be the gaffer there ..

He wasnt yesterday for certain and our next games will be scrutinised in great detail on this weakness by forthcoming opponents that's as sure as eggs are eggs ..

Trouble is Dawsons just as weak in this area too!!!!..

it's been like this a long while ..

This is a weak area for us ...

Watched the highlights & he was at fault for both goals. He should also have told Foxy bingo to leave that header, before the corner for their first goal.

Conversely, he made a great save low down from Ayew, & a point blank miracle save just before that corner for the second goal.

Compare that with their keeper. He spills the Reach shot, for our first and saves from 2 powerful Fletcher headers. It's a fine line between hero & villain being a keeper.

Guest Willow Owl
18 hours ago, Ian said:

It was you who made the “Wembley only” comment....and years watching means nothing, it’s the games in those years that would counter your snide comment.....but seeing as you mentioned it I can trump 52 and 45 if it’s important to you.

and yes we have had some good keepers.....and Woods is no where near up there with them in my and many others opinions

It was you who first mentioned that Woods was S---E and i was in a minority thinking he was a good keeper. The Wembley only brigade was aimed at the extra 20k that only probably saw Woods at Wembley where he made the linigan error. (No disrespect meant ).

It was you that first mentioned games attended, as though you were some sort of Wednesday superfan. I mearly replied i had watched Wednesday for over 45 years ( many years season ticket ) and my comment was not meant as " Snide "

I'm interested to know who you believe was, or is better than Chris Woods.

Never particularly rated Woods myself. But that's another topic...

Westwood has dropped come gaffes this year. Age? Injuries? The shoot- 50p flyaway balls that pass for match balls these days?

Who knows. He's still got one thing in his locker though - Experience. He's dropped some gaffes, and you know what, I don't think it will bother him

I don't think it will play on his mind. which is a good thing. IMO. You don't want keepers getting into a mindset of thinking about errors too much. Which I think can happen with the inexperienced ones.

He's at an age where I think that will be water off a ducks back. Which is important in that position. 

He could be dropped for Dawson. But the very errors that he'd be getting dropped for....are the sort of situations that most think are Dawsons weakness.

I think Monk will leave things as they are. 

19 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

It was you who first mentioned that Woods was S---E and i was in a minority thinking he was a good keeper. The Wembley only brigade was aimed at the extra 20k that only probably saw Woods at Wembley where he made the linigan error. (No disrespect meant ).

It was you that first mentioned games attended, as though you were some sort of Wednesday superfan. I mearly replied i had watched Wednesday for over 45 years ( many years season ticket ) and my comment was not meant as " Snide "

I'm interested to know who you believe was, or is better than Chris Woods.

Are you kidding......I know it’s Monday morning but that’s ridiculously easy 

Hodge

Pressman

Springett

Westwood

Turner (Ian)

Carson

Camp

Without even spending too long wondering if I’ve missed any

Despite his errors, I wouldn't agree with benching Westwood...yet. 

Give him a few more games to see if he can iron out these errors. He's had indifferent spells before and managed to comeback strong. 

The other consideration is Dawson and more so some of our fans. 

You can just see Dawson getting brought back in and some of the idiots turning on him because he's not "Westy". 

It all then becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Those fans who don't think he's good enough will get on his back and then the moment he makes any sort of error, they'll be on his case straight away. Before you know it, you are back to square one. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 10/11/2019 at 03:47, StudentOwl said:

To be honest, I would be saying my gut instinct is he should be coming to claim the ball prior to it getting to their striker in the first place. I suspect that will either be a very unpopular opinion or clearly wrong when I view it again or both, but that was my instinct at the time. He does that, there's no corner in the first place.

Curious to see how far off my instincts are when I see it again

How about expecting your defender to actually follow his attacker in. Look at Fox’s reaction. He knows Westwood saved his blushes. Unfortunate what happened next but I still feel it would have been given as a foul if Nuhiu had gone in on their keeper like that.

Firstly my take on Woods. He was slow, cumbersome and flapped a lot albeit a good shot stopper. Overrated as he was in a very good team.

Problem with Westwood and Dawson they both share the same weaknesses two being they do not command their area and distribution is poor. They are both excellent shot stoppers. On that basis I think GM will stick with Westwood for the time being. Personally I believe Wildsmith is a better all round goalkeeper than both these two.