Suddenly short at Centre Half

Hutchinson had an immense game.   Iorfa has had a great season playing at centre half

How long is Borner out for because we now look very short suddenly!

However well done Hutchinson, immensely professional performance coming in at short notice.

Watching it back on sky now, and I can't believe the pundits were suggesting Palmer or Odubajo could have come in at centre half because Hutchinson is not natural there!   Do these people not watch us other than when we are on TV?!!!

• Haha 1

Yeah that Palmer/Odubajo comment made me laugh. It's not as if Hutch has never played there before is it? 

Keith Andrews said it's not his natural position but actually it is. We converted him into a midfielder. 

I watched Hutch's reaction when Pelupessy and the coach went to tell him that he was playing in defence when he was warming up. He just went over to Iorfa, fist pumped him and went over to do the defence drill with Bullen. A true professional. 

As for being short, we have Lees coming back and Thorniley as well. Not sure about Bates and Hutch is always an option so I think we'll be fine. 

• Like 1

We're insignificant as far as sky and everyone else is concerned its always whomever we're playing even if were the home side , which to be fair I like that means we cn go on a 10 game undefeated run and nobody at sky or in the media would take a blind bit of notice. Helps keep the pressure and expectations lower on the players. 

Even a little bit of homework would heve been esy to find out that hutch played his Chelsea career at cb and had been touted as the new John Terry before due to the injuries it all unravelled. 

• Like 2

What nonsense from know nowt pundits.

Hutchinson proved today he is still an excellent centre back and should slot in again if Boerner is injured

Fox has successfully played left centre back and Thornily who never lets us down was drafted in as a late sub.

Then Tom Lees is nearing fitness. Centre back is the least of our problems.

4 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

Yeah that Palmer/Odubajo comment made me laugh. It's not as if Hutch has never played there before is it? 

Keith Andrews said it's not his natural position but actually it is. We converted him into a midfielder. 

I watched Hutch's reaction when Pelupessy and the coach went to tell him that he was playing in defence when he was warming up. He just went over to Iorfa, fist pumped him and went over to do the defence drill with Bullen. A true professional. 

As for being short, we have Lees coming back and Thorniley as well. Not sure about Bates and Hutch is always an option so I think we'll be fine. 

To be fair I think goalkeeper and cb is probably our least position of worry. I've total confidence in Dawson or Westwood in goal and a cb partnership involving iorfa, Lees, Borner or Thornilly at the moment the way we're drilled I have confidence in,even as today hutch having to tag in at the last minute didn't derail us. We haven't seemed this together since S. G was in charge. 

4 minutes ago, Blatter said:

What nonsense from know nowt pundits.

Hutchinson proved today he is still an excellent centre back and should slot in again if Boerner is injured

Fox has successfully played left centre back and Thornily who never lets us down was drafted in as a late sub.

Then Tom Lees is nearing fitness. Centre back is the least of our problems.

To be fair I'd prefer leaving fox at left back he's beginning to grow as a player there now he's being played as a proper old school fullback, is going from strength to strength. 

12 minutes ago, Beholder said:

No we aren't. 

Apart from Bates everyone is fit or will be by next Saturday.

Lees has been nearly fit for nearly a month, i've seen nothing of Monk to suggest he sees any value in Thorniley, and I don't know if Bates is anywhere near match fit and we have a few players on yellows close to the cusp of being suspended.

Today we lacked cover big time.

Edited by Salmonbones

Totally forgot about Bates.

Is he injured at the minute or just behind Thorniley in the pecking order?

Either way, Lees is more or less ready to go. Hutchinson looked awesome alongside Iorfa, so even if Borner is out for a lengthy period (hope not!), I'm not worried. We've plenty of good options, and the way Monk has us organised and well-drilled will make any uncertainty and variability less of an issue. 

Back 5 were awesome today. They have a potent front line and we bossed them all afternoon. Clean sheet against those players say we're ok at the back.

We missed Luongo today, we'd have won if he was there to drag them out of position.

Bazx is a different class, great vision, right place and unphased on the ball...but he's poo at corners and free kicks...we need to vary them a bit.

3 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Lees has been nearly fit for nearly a month, i've seen nothing of Monk to suggest he sees any value in Thorniley, and I don't know if Bates is anywhere near match fit and we have a few players on yellows close to the cusp of being suspended.

Only Borner on the cusp of a suspension. 

Bannan has three yellows, and Hutchinson is three away from another suspension. 

Iorfa only has one, Odubajo, Fox and Palmer only on two apiece. 

Just now, frastheowl said:

Only Borner on the cusp of a suspension. 

Bannan has three yellows, and Hutchinson is three away from another suspension. 

Iorfa only has one, Odubajo, Fox and Palmer only on two apiece. 

Fair enough, I just kind of have in the back of my mind we seem to be picking up a lot of yellows

• Like 1