Old Wednesdayite Car park.

Was disappointed to find the old Wednesdayite car park closed last Tuesday evening.

Not all that surprised as patronage has been falling match on match since the closure of Penistone Road for a short time after games.

The main problem for me was there was no warning that the car park was to be closed leading to last minute panic trying to find alternative parking. Drove round the block again and was unfortunately the first one too late at the car park on Herries Road, arriving just as the attendant announced "Sorry full-up"

Took a chance and parked opposite the steel stockholders further down Herries Rd - £35 now on it's way to the B@stards at SYC :sad:. Not complaining too much as I knew I was taking a risk.

Anyway, now you've read my tail of woe:rolleyes: :-

Does anyone on here know if the Wednesdayite carpark is now permanently closed or was Tuesday evening a one off?

Edited by oldtawnyowl

7 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Was disappointed to find the old Wednesdayite car park closed last Tuesday evening.

Not all that surprised as patronage has been falling match on match since the closure of Penistone Road for a short time after games.

The main problem for me was there was no warning that the car park was to be closed leading to last minute panic trying to find alternative parking. Drove round the block again and was unfortunately the first one too late at the car park on Herries Road, arriving just as the attendant announced "Sorry full-up"

Took a chance and parked opposite the steel stockholders further down Herries Rd - £35 now on it's way to the B@stards at SYC :sad:. Not complaining too much as I knew I was taking a risk.

Does anyone on here know if the Wednesdayite carpark is now permanently closed or was Tuesday evening a one off?

There's a thread about this in the Wednesdayite section.  I don't use the car park but I thought that they had been using Hillsborough College Car Park all season.

Edited by wisewoodowl

Yes the thread in the Wednesdayite forum is about the new car park at the college which unfortunately is too far for me to walk (I'm an old git with some mobility problems).

My enquiry is about the Old Wednesdayite carpark which has still been in use prior to last Tuesday.

Yeah it's a bit pants isn't it. In fairness to Wednesdayite they've been communicating about this for some time now. The landlord of the property sold it for development a couple of years ago, and plans have been submitted to build a retail park on it. Don't know when it's due to start, but basically Wednesdayite had to move. They were actually expecting to have to move away during the middle of last season, but i think they managed to keep it until the end. 

Even if it was still open, it would be nightmare to get out of for games like tomorrow where they're closing both carriageways of Penistone road. 

I think think these some parking places on Herries road behind the old Wednesdayite car park - not sure if that's doable with the difficulties you might have walking? Again, might be a pain getting away after due to the diversions and closures in place. 

I believe a couple of schools are being used for parking nearby as well (think the club might have arranged these? not sure)

https://swfcparking.co.uk/football/events/oct-19/sheffield-wednesday-vs-leeds-united

They are possibly too far away though?

Edited by bigdan2003

There are plans which the owner, Jaguar Estates submitted in Feb for planning, which are still awaiting a decision according to the planning portal, and the council have asked for an extension of time to consider the plans until 29th November.

Erection of 3 retail units (Class A1), 8 storage and distribution units (Class B8), 2 drive thru restaurants (Class A3/A5), 1 vehicle maintenance and repair unit (Class B2) and 2 substations including provision of car parking, junction improvements to Penistone Rd and Herries Rd, access onto Herries Rd/ Herries Rd South, servicing, landscaping, pedestrian access and associated on and off-site works.

Its a fairly big development, and I expect that the business case for this will partly depend on revenue generated by access on Saturdays. I wonder what the developer will think of the Highways' dept plans to close off Penistone Road/Herries Road pretty much all of Saturday match days, essentially stopping access to the development.

1 minute ago, bigdan2003 said:

Yeah it's a bit pants isn't it. In fairness to Wednesdayite they've been communicating about this for some time now. The landlord of the property sold it for development a couple of years ago, and plans have been submitted to build a retail park on it. Don't know when it's due to start, but basically Wednesdayite had to move.

Even if it was still open, it would be nightmare to get out of for games like tomorrow where they're closing both carriageways of Penistone road. 

I think think these some parking places on Herries road behind the old Wednesdayite car park - not sure if that's doable with the difficulties you might have walking? Again, might be a pain getting away after due to the diversions and closures in place. 

I believe a couple of schools are being used for parking nearby as well (think the club might have arranged these? not sure)

https://swfcparking.co.uk/football/events/oct-19/sheffield-wednesday-vs-leeds-united

I don't know who in their right mind would pay £5 to park at Rivelin School which is at least 20-25 minutes walk away and to get to Hillsborough you'd be walking past streets which have ample free parking on them!

I live fairly close to there and it takes me up to 20 minutes to walk to the ground at a brisk pace, but the school is a 5 minute walk in the opposite direction.

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I don't know who in their right mind would pay £5 to park at Rivelin School which is at least 20-25 minutes walk away and to get to Hillsborough you'd be walking past streets which have ample free parking on them!

I live fairly close to there and it takes me up to 20 minutes to walk to the ground at a brisk pace, but the school is a 5 minute walk in the opposite direction.

Needs must though isn't it - at least there is somewhere folk can park when all the street parking is taken + i guess for residents of the area it's a right pain with folk parking outside your house etc. A mate of mine literally has to leave work early to get home to get his parking space outside his house on match day....otherwise he'd have to park miles away and then walk to his house. 

Given that some of the of the streets near the ground will be closed or have no stopping orders, I guess cars from those streets will need to find alternative arrangements as well. 

It's rubbish for people who have difficulty moving around though. 

15 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Probarbly people that are not selfish. 

They might think about other people,  the ones that need to park outside their own homes.

Then they won't have to walk 5 minutes to get to their own house. 

1 hour ago, oldtawnyowl said:

I park on Herries Road car park now, £5 so well worth it.

41 minutes ago, Animis said:

There are plans which the owner, Jaguar Estates submitted in Feb for planning, which are still awaiting a decision according to the planning portal, and the council have asked for an extension of time to consider the plans until 29th November.

Erection of 3 retail units (Class A1), 8 storage and distribution units (Class B8), 2 drive thru restaurants (Class A3/A5), 1 vehicle maintenance and repair unit (Class B2) and 2 substations including provision of car parking, junction improvements to Penistone Rd and Herries Rd, access onto Herries Rd/ Herries Rd South, servicing, landscaping, pedestrian access and associated on and off-site works.

Its a fairly big development, and I expect that the business case for this will partly depend on revenue generated by access on Saturdays. I wonder what the developer will think of the Highways' dept plans to close off Penistone Road/Herries Road pretty much all of Saturday match days, essentially stopping access to the development.

This. 

Surely no access on a Saturday afternoon, their busiest time, throws a spanner in the works? 

52 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Yeah it's a bit pants isn't it?

Even if it was still open it would be nightmare to get out of for games like tomorrow where they're closing both carriageways of Penistone road. 

This is the point, the old Wednesdayite car park (opposite the kop) Has been open for every game this season until last Tuesday, we have used it for each game and surprisingly the hold up due to the temporary closure of Penistone Road has only added 5 or 10 minutes to our journey home to Crookes.

NB. Don't try Parking at Rivelin or Marlcliffe School.

This letter is a hoax. See article in tonight's "Star"

10 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

You can't get out of the car park after game so no point opening it

This is just not true. The road has been re-opened within about 20/30 minutes of the final whistle and we have found it easier to exit the car park than before the present restrictions:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

'Park & Donate' are operating the old Wednesdayite car park for occasional games only.

Yes, it is open for Leeds, but bear in mind the road closures.

Thanks DeeJayOne. Even as a ST holder I was thinking of giving this one a miss and watching on TV, but will now be therelol

Would it be possible for Owlstalk to post on here whenever they plan to open the car park.

Thanks again.:rolleyes:

• Like 1