Rita Nettleship

An instantly recognisable name from a fondly remebered past.

I was frequently on the same coach as Rita with a mate. We were a good bunch but Rita was always on hand to (kindly) put us straight if we started to get too boisterous.  

The coach journey was frequently more enjoyable than the game and that was largely down to Rita who was responsible for the safe, friendly and respectful atmosphere.

She came across like a 'nice' teacher to an immature teenager...... tended to keep our shared bottle of Sherry under wraps to avoid any disapproval

A fantastic and dedicated football fan.

• Like 2

On 06/10/2019 at 00:54, Ronnie Starling said:

Whilst listening to Praise or Grumble on the way home a fellow Owl called in with the sad news the Rita Nettleship had passed away. For years she was head of the SWFC Supporters Club and whilst I didn't know her personally she seemed to be a passionate Owl who loved her club doing lots of positive work. I'm surprised there wasn't a thread on here or accept my apologies if there is. I hope the club show their appreciation to her dedication in supporting the club. She would be deserving of a minutes applause. I think the funeral is October 14th at City Road. RIP Rita.

The Funeral Service will take 
place at City Road Crematorium on 
Monday 14th October 2019 at 11.00am.
Family flowers only please but donations in lieu, if desired, 
to Swallownest Care Home,
which can be made on the day of 
the funeral as a donation box will 
be available at the Crematorium 

Edited by Charles Clegg
  • Thanks 1

Didn't know her personally but growing up in the 70,s she was someone most Owls were aware of for the work she did especially with the travel.

She gave so much of her own time for the good of all fans. A minutes silence is the least we can do. 

Would be good to see some representation by the club on Wednesday if not already arranged.

Whilst listening to Praise or Grumble on the way home a fellow Owl called in with the sad news the Rita Nettleship had passed away. For years she was head of the SWFC Supporters Club and whilst I didn't know her personally she seemed to be a passionate Owl who loved her club doing lots of positive work. I'm surprised there wasn't a thread on here or accept my apologies if there is. I hope the club show their appreciation to her dedication in supporting the club. She would be deserving of a minutes applause. I think the funeral is October 14th at City Road. RIP Rita.

I worked with Rita about 15 years ago and she was Wednesday through and through.  She would rush off at 4.00pm when we finished to catch a coach to somewhere on a freezing January night to watch the Owls, returning early hours in the morning, not even I did that!   Not only that, she was very funny with a typical Sheffield sense of humour, a strong Northern woman but so lovely as well.  I thought the world of her.  Sad to hear of this news, I'm going to try and get to her funeral.  RIP Rita, a true Owl if ever there was one.

Edited by Mus
  • Like 1

Guest everydays_wednesday

Me and my wife who travelled in the 70s and 80s on the supporters club coach send our condolences...a true Wednesday legend RIP 

On 06/10/2019 at 13:51, Mickjj said:

Could not have put it better, lots of great memories. R.I.P. Rita

image.jpeg

Met Rita a couple of times when our local branch of SWSC met up with the main branch. RIP. a great woman.

Incidentally, I always wear one if the above badges when I attend matches. Bought for me in approx 1948, when Dad made me a member of the hoyland branch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Met Rita a couple of times when our local branch of SWSC met up with the main branch. RIP. a great woman.

Incidentally, I always wear one if the above badges when I attend matches. Bought for me in approx 1948, when Dad made me a member of the hoyland branch.

The one I have was passed down to me, it has the buttonhole hoop on the back instead of a pin

On 06/10/2019 at 00:59, Owls_about_that said:

RIP Rita, my Aunt God bless her soul was big friends with her and she was a formidable woman. As a kid in the 80's I sold cushions on the North for the Supporters Club when it was based in the house on Penistone Road :-(

I totally agree with all the sentiments and condolences posted on here for Rita. and would like to add my own, but are you sure we still sold cushions for the North Stand in the eighties?  I thought that they were banned after the cushion throwing debacle after Bronco was sent off against Villa.  I may be wrong, at my age I often am.

42 minutes ago, dumboldowl said:

I totally agree with all the sentiments and condolences posted on here for Rita. and would like to add my own, but are you sure we still sold cushions for the North Stand in the eighties?  I thought that they were banned after the cushion throwing debacle after Bronco was sent off against Villa.  I may be wrong, at my age I often am.

can't say when but they were certainly on sale after the 60s.

May have been 'suspended' once or twice!

R.I.P. Rita.

Well said Ronnie

She is so synonymous with Wednesday and will be greatly missed

Never knew her personally but like all Wednesdayites I knew of her because of her devotion to the club and it's fans

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2019 at 20:06, dumboldowl said:

I was only born in late 73 so must have been the eighties, often ended up collecting them from the pitch at the end of games ha. Them flat square ones were lethal, you wouldn't want to get hit by one of them!

Edited by Owls_about_that