Bannan & Hutch

We sit far too deep as a midfield and allow teams to play against us without so much as a challenge. It didn't work 2 seasons ago, it didnt work last season and it's not working this season.

The least we should be doing is closing teams down quickly and forcing them into errors. Sitting 10 yards off them means your opponent dominates and always looks dangerous, as nobody is stopping through balls. QPR were given the freedom of Hillsborough yesterday to string pass after pass without so much as a sniff of any sort of challenge.

If our midfield continues to do this we will lose many more games than we win. Across the city, Wilder's team were in your faces as soon as you had the ball, forcing mistakes and loss of possession. It works.

7 hours ago, james o connor said:

I literally don’t see what reach brings . He’s so weak. Don’t get me wrong I understand why we sold joao , I wish it was reach we flogged instead . He’s a complete passenger . We literally never look like scoring . Fletcher is a quality target man but he scores 10 a season . We need a midfield who are going to get 7-10 each . Those lot would get 7 between them. We are so stale and it’s painful to watch 

Don’t say anything about Reach, you’ll be leeched on the next time he puts in a decent cross.

He’ll then go back to being the best player at the club and a future England international 

Fox has a better cross than Reach 

Edited by FreshOwl

7 hours ago, David1867 said:

Thats ridiculous to suggest luongo isn't putting effort in training. The guy has been here 3 weeks so why would he decide to wreck his future at a new club by throwing it off in training? 

Did i suggest he wasnt putting the effort in? No i didnt, maybe he just isnt performing as well as the others in training/ playing as well. Try reading the post before replying!

1 hour ago, 2roland2 said:

Thats because he takes every set piece, he won’t let anyone else near them . Unless you haven’t been watching anyone can see he’s in awful form, he’s playing far too deep, he’s passing backwards and sideways more and more it’s like watching darren potter but he’s learned to pass. His set plays have been poor. 

Said it before ore I can forgive him because all good players have form dips in their careers but he isn’t anywhere near his best right now. 

2 Roland 2... i don’t know what the hell you have done to deserve -159 negative but here is a positive from me...I don’t like seeing people ganged up on

2 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Thats because he takes every set piece, he won’t let anyone else near them . Unless you haven’t been watching anyone can see he’s in awful form, he’s playing far too deep, he’s passing backwards and sideways more and more it’s like watching darren potter but he’s learned to pass. His set plays have been poor. 

Said it before ore I can forgive him because all good players have form dips in their careers but he isn’t anywhere near his best right now. 

Which is because he’s better than anyone else at delivering them...

Both are good enough. It's how they're being used within a system. Hutch alluded to the fact that Bruce was trying to use him in a different way which enabled him to get forward more. A good manager would get a tune out of both of them. 

Don't like to mention Blades but Wilder got Clarke playing like fecking Messi and I know some Brighton fans who hated Norwood and now he's captain of United in the prem. They are both good players. They just need using correctly. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Mmmm we might not ever find out as he won’t let anyone else near them. 

This season  I would argue that his set pieces have been pretty damn awful. But like I said every good player at some point goes through a poor patch of form. I think this is his,  and it isn’t helped from Bullen not having a clue tactically. 

We’ve seen how our standard of delivery drops when he doesn’t play.

He also creates many chances through set pieces

Getting after our best players when we have a dip in form is a strange pastime on here

Against Barnsley without bannan Harris and Murphy were unplayable- because the midfield were consistently feeding them the ball to feet to run at their full back. 

Not a 70 yard pass on to their toe - just consistently winning it and giving it.

On 02/09/2019 at 00:19, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Bannan has been poor, and if he were to be dropped along with Reach, then it would be up to them to work hard to get back into the team.

A midfield of Lee, Luongo and Hutch, if playing a 3 is good enough in my opinion.

Hutch has been worse than Bannan and Reach, so why does he keep his place?

On 31/08/2019 at 16:31, FreshOwl said:

I’d get rid of both in the summer 

4 years they’ve been in that midfield and achieved foook all 

Why do we keep playing them season after season expecting things to change? 

Luongo and Lee are the pair I’d have moving forward 

I fear Bannan and Hutch are undroppable though, especially under Bullen 

I think its harsh to say get rid of both.

They both have their uses and we have achieved some degree of success by playing both regularly (Bannan/Hutch were both integral players under CC) but unfortunately for us I think its fair to say we've failed to find the winning midfield combination between Hutch/Lee/Bannan and to an extent Reach.  

I agree about Lee & Luongo being involved more, they are certainly 2 players i'd like to see us experiment more with, maybe even including Reach into that midfield 3 whilst still having 2 wingers Harris & Murphy in play.

The issue with Bannan, for all the good he does - his passing, work rate and quality on the ball he gets overwhelmed in midfield far too often especially as a 2. So you almost have to support him by playing another CM which makes him more effective but makes your wider areas/up top less effective. (This is one of the reasons why for long periods after CC left so were so reliant on Bannan and did nothing out wide, he along with sporadically Reach/FF were our only attacking outlets).

I think Hutchinson right now is more valuable, his reading of the game is excellent,defensively very good and he does have a diverse passing range when he does get on the ball in space (also a major frustration how against QPR he AND Bannan would both drop deep for the ball leaving us with nobody looking to play centrally with the ball...which led to constant wasteful long balls up to Fletcher) - IMO no reason why we couldn't play him as the anchor in a midfield 3 - and rotate between Lee/Luongo/Reach to see what works best. 

On 01/09/2019 at 21:45, 2roland2 said:

Wait hold on, I haven’t said he isn’t one of our best players he obv is. But his form atm is wee wee poor. And every player no matter how good goes through it. 

What it does t mean is we have to suck his balls if he is playing poor atm. On current form he shouldn’t be in the team. 

No you can use your normal clients lol