Bannan & Hutch

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

For Bannan’s standards he’s not been at his best so far this season, but agree with this.

Often the only one who creates something or the only one who has the balls to get on the ball and make something happen. Those around him often expect him to do it all. 

I’d like to see Luongo start in the middle. Looks to move the ball forward and doesn’t shirk responsibility. A three of Bannan Luongo and Lee could work. Not much size, but you’ve got three players with ability, drive and good fitness levels. 

I agree, Bannan had a poor game yesterday by his standards - too many loose passes and mis-controls. But even on a bad day he's still the one most likely to make something happen.

I'd also like to see Luongo given a chance.  I wasn't sure he could play the Hutch role but I didn't know his stats showed he won the most tackles in the league last year. He looked brilliant when he came on for his debut but tbh looked pretty ropey since then. My patience with Hutch is wearing thin so maybe we should go and give Luongo a go. (See what I did there?) 

20 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

At times yesterday there was simply no midfield. Reach doesn't know what he is. bannan has been poor all season but seems to blame everyone around him. Hutch is a defender and a good one.

Complete rethink needed.

Lee is our best midfielder at the club imo

I said at half time, we needed to change the formation and personnel - Lee and Luongo should have come on at half time to replace Reach and Bannan to add energy and bite to the midfield; drop Hutch as a defensive midfield and push the full backs forward. You're right about Reach - he doesn't look comfortable in this position of a sort of right midfield/wing - he rarely beats a man and then drifts inside but can't tackle.

3 minutes ago, Mus said:

I love Bannan, think he creates so much but my other half pointed out to me that when he doesn't play we usually win!

As a mainstay of the side who got to the playoffs twice, and missed a huge chuck of a terrible season through injury before coming back to help create an upturn in results...and being THE standout performer pre-injury when we were doing ok... I think your other half is wrong.

But that’s not surprising since the temptation is always to look at football in micro details

Edited by McRightSide

2 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Drop Bannan,  play Reach on the wing and tell both Hutch and Westwood that if they don’t up their game that they’ll be next.

The spine of our team has a few slipped discs.

I agree that the spine is a problem - QPR simply walked through us yesterday.

Seems to me the issue of buying players but not knowing how they would fit in to the system or formation started with the acquisition of Reach back in 2016. We have assembled a squad of individual parts, rather than a 'team'. Successive managers seem to have struggled with this. 

If we persevere with Reach on the wing, I think this must be in a front 3, with Harris or FF on the other wing with Fletcher down the centre. We then need two energetic centre midfielders to protect the key space - I would go Lee and Luongo. Get two decent full backs who have pace, and position Hutch in front of the two CHs. A sort of 4-1-2-3

1 minute ago, Animis said:

I agree that the spine is a problem - QPR simply walked through us yesterday.

Seems to me the issue of buying players but not knowing how they would fit in to the system or formation started with the acquisition of Reach back in 2016. We have assembled a squad of individual parts, rather than a 'team'. Successive managers seem to have struggled with this. 

If we persevere with Reach on the wing, I think this must be in a front 3, with Harris or FF on the other wing with Fletcher down the centre. We then need two energetic centre midfielders to protect the key space - I would go Lee and Luongo. Get two decent full backs who have pace, and position Hutch in front of the two CHs. A sort of 4-1-2-3

Totally agree.  FF and Murphy as “impact subs”, Reach and Harris swapping, midfield as you stated.

2 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

At times yesterday there was simply no midfield. Reach doesn't know what he is. bannan has been poor all season but seems to blame everyone around him. Hutch is a defender and a good one.

Complete rethink needed.

Lee is our best midfielder at the club imo

Hutch to centre back to partner Borner?

Then play a proper midfield three of:

Lee Luongo Bannan

Not a two and a one like we have been doing e.g:

Hutch      Bannan

Lee

And certainly NOT 4-4-2!!

It’s not just Bannan and Hutchinson. Lee is 30 now, Pelupessy is steady but doesn’t affect matters, Luongo looks decent. The central midfield is where a game is dictated and we don’t have the legs or physical presence in there across the board and haven’t for years. 

We do miss bannan when hr doesn’t play, but I think the team relies on him to dictate too much and it slows things down. We need midfielders to drive forward with the ball.

Playing that system requires 2 wide midfielders to tuck in or else we turn into a 4 2 4 and leave the 2 central midfielders exposed, which is what happened and our defence got overrun 

also giving the fullback s license to bomb forward is suicide , QPR just exploited our tactical naivety by putting balls in the spaces left . 

I thought Carlos was back 

Lee Bullen should get himself on here... there are enough ideas, formations and tactics to fill 3 or 4 little notebooks. I don’t understand why these coaches bother spending the time and effort with all these coaching badges and stuff when it’s all laid out here to cherry pick

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

As a mainstay of the side who got to the playoffs twice, and missed a huge chuck of a terrible season through injury before coming back to help create an upturn in results...and being THE standout performer pre-injury when we were doing ok... I think your other half is wrong.

But that’s not surprising since the temptation is always to look at football in micro details

Winning and losing football matches are not micro details. 

5 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

It does not matter how we set up if bb and hutch start we have two defensive midfielders who simply do what they want and have obviously not taken any notice of four managers. 

Think that’s a little harsh, but it is telling that our best sustained run of performances since DC took over occurred with López as one of the midfield options and with Bannan playing on the left.

I just can’t see how we can have a functioning side with two midfielders who both seem to want to play within touching distance of the CBs. Even with a 4-2-3-1 with double pivot, you expect your midfielders to play in midfield. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sulli_Owl said:

Think that’s a little harsh, but it is telling that our best sustained run of performances since DC took over occurred with López as one of the midfield options and with Bannan playing on the left.

I just can’t see how we can have a functioning side with two midfielders who both seem to want to play within touching distance of the CBs. Even with a 4-2-3-1 with double pivot, you expect your midfielders to play in midfield. 

Not harsh, I believe it to be true, I can't see any manager asking his 2 midfielders to be in spitting distance of the centre halves when in possession. They honestly do as they like and we need the big stick treatment. We can't score goals when the attack is not connected to the rest of the team. You do however hit the nail on the head with your other point. The best midfield we have had in recent years has been Wallace, lopez, Lee and Bannan. With n

Bannan on the left. Dropping lopez for hutch cost us a Premier league place in my opinion.