Bannan & Hutch

Just now, FreshOwl said:

I don’t see him win the ball and protect the back 4 that often, rarely even.

So if he’s not contributing much in either part of the field why is he starting? 

Probably because bully knows hutch has the character to take some stick and not be bothered about taking the flack. 

If he throws joey in there hell just get hammered. 

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

Probably because bully knows hutch has the character to take some stick and not be bothered about taking the flack. 

If he throws joey in there hell just get hammered. 

I’d argue Joey wouldn’t fair any worse 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Exactly we have ran everything through him for 5 years and where are we ? Mid table nothingness , just like we were before (for a fraction of the cost to watch) . It’s so frustrating watching other clubs run properly with fresh ideas , going places and we are trapped in this time warp waffling on about bannan, Hutchinson , forestieri etc. They would get bought in a car boot sale 

I agree 100% 

I'm a big fan of Fernando but its time for him to move on .

Bannan and hutch duo needs ending now 

People keep blaming the players around them but they aren't contributing enough

At the start of the season I got negged to death saying hutch ,Lee and bannan wouldn't get 10 goals between them 

So far I'd be amazed if they get 5

If strikers are scoring then midfield need to contribute 

1 nil down any game this season and can't see us turning it round with what we've got in the team 

Edited by WelshOwl74

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

If the full backs had played further up the pitch, as I think they were intended to, it would have been less of a problem

Bullen said they were supposed to but couldn't get the ball. The ball should have come from our creative midfielder(s). Some lovely pirouettes though and a consistent backpass. Apart from when hitting the first man or the keeper from free kicks. 

2 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

I agree 100% 

At the start of the season I got negged to death saying hutch ,Lee and bannan wouldn't get 10 goals between them 

1 nil down any game this season and can't see us turning it round with what we've got in the team 

It’s never they that’s the issue , it’s clearly Dawson and pelupessy :tango:

5 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

I agree 100% 

Lee does have it in his locker or did to get into double figures for  the season. 

I'm not sure if he's fully healed, fully fit and match Sharpe yet. 

When he's played he's normally gone off around the hour mark, which says to me he's not quite there yet. 

Guest Arnold
2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I’d get rid of both in the summer 

4 years they’ve been in that midfield and achieved foook all 

Why do we keep playing them season after season expecting things to change? 

Luongo and Lee are the pair I’d have moving forward 

I fear Bannan and Hutch are undroppable though, especially under Bullen 

I don't think hutch has had a good start to the season. Luongo should have started today 

No one can argue that when Bannan plays well he is brilliant. When Bannan turns it on Wednesday tick. But the same problem has been there for years... stop Bannan and you stop Wednesday.

They stopped our midfield from playing and Bullen just stood there watching. At 1-0 up we were all sat in the stands and could see it wasn’t working. We needed to change something. Bullen did nothing.

Their equaliser should have been a stark warning that the game was only headed one way. The crowd could see it yet Bullen still took no action

Then at 2-1 down he lost his sh*t and lord knows what was happening. I could write an essay on how bonkers the subs were 

Just like at Preston last week... his subs were reactive and desperate instead of being proactive before the game had been lost 

5 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

Can’t play hutch deep (making 5at the back) in home matches,leaves us totally exposed and outnumbered in the middle third.we have no movement or fluidity and  are totally reliant on some magic from the wings 

I mentioned this this morning. 

If we need to be on the front foot against teams then we don't need to play hutch there, better with luongo. 

If we're playing one of the better teams that will come at us at there place hutch comes in for me. 

Bullen needs to be more tactically astute and flexible with picking the team. 

Same with bannan against a side that are going to high press us and give us no time on the ball, we're better having him on the bench. 

Against a side coming for a point that are going to sit in and say "come break us down" he has the freedom to make things tick. 

2 hours ago, David1867 said:

This is the problem with Bullen. We need a complete clean break from the Carlos/Jos era with the next manager. Bullen isn't that man, on paper Luongo looks exactly what we needed in midfield but is hardly getting the game time! 

Unfortunatley Bullen was just a yes man for the previous 2 managers and it's starting to show. No new ideas, just same crap getting repeated. 

Maybe hes not getting the game time cos hes not performing in training?

2 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Problem with Hutch and Bannan is neither of them break the lines. They can pass the ball about but how many times does Bannan get into the box? It makes us so easy to play against sometimes.

This is why we've missed Lee so much and struggled the last two seasons whilst he was injured. 

Lee used to make those runs that suddenly give defenders cause for concern or another body to pick up and cover. 

This in turn creates space for others in and around the box. 

As you say neither hutch or bazza do this. 

52 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Problem with Hutch and Bannan is neither of them break the lines. They can pass the ball about but how many times does Bannan get into the box? It makes us so easy to play against sometimes.

Agree mate. There only Lee that bursts on wi the strikers and gets int box.

Don't know why we went to 442 when we've know  out centre mid is too weak to do it for 4 year.

Mebbe to get Fernando in. BT to be honest he got no where near Fletcher all game. 

No idea why we've done any of that today

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

1 hour ago, LoadABallacks said:

Doesn’t work, it’s not worked in 3 seasons now. If a team presses them they go missing too often 

We also forget that in Carlos’ first season, Bannan played wide left a lot of the time and not down the middle. 

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Hutch isn't there to create that's what the others around and in front of him are supposed to do. 

He's there to win the ball and protect the back four. 

As for bannan I've been saying for 4 years now, he's not a cm midfielder. 

Successive managers before he came here and Carlos all played him out wide as a wide playmaker. 

I don't think he suits this system. 

Been saying same. Hes best in an attacking midfield role behind the striker. If he's got 2 crunchers behind him he's fine. When he drops deep we ate effectively a man light in the middle and going forward because he's (unless he hits a Hollywood pass) show at bringing the ball forward and cannot tackle or drive us up ther pitch quick enough .. as well as disappearing when opposition midfield get in his face.

I think that's probably why he's never been a mainstay in any team before us and even the Scotland squad (I believe)

He's a good player don't get me wrong but it's about playing him in the right formation with right players behind him.

I honestly would like to see him in that front 3 on the left. He could whip in some delightful balls for whoever's in middle

10 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Been saying same. Hes best in an attacking midfield role behind the striker. If he's got 2 crunchers behind him he's fine. When he drops deep we ate effectively a man light in the middle and going forward because he's (unless he hits a Hollywood pass) show at bringing the ball forward and cannot tackle or drive us up ther pitch quick enough .. as well as disappearing when opposition midfield get in his face.

I think that's probably why he's never been a mainstay in any team before us and even the Scotland squad (I believe)

He's a good player don't get me wrong but it's about playing him in the right formation with right players behind him.

I honestly would like to see him in that front 3 on the left. He could whip in some delightful balls for whoever's in middle

Maybe your right, didn't villa play him in a kind of winger role when he first broke into the side??

He's not the quickest, but neither was Beckham, I'm not saying he's as good, but maybe would be able to do a similar Job out there without being a detriment defencivly in the middle. 

As for playing the lad as an attacking midfielder behind a striker. 

He's not composed enough in front of goal and wastes too many opportunities.