Bannan & Hutch

On 31/08/2019 at 16:31, FreshOwl said:

I’d get rid of both in the summer 

4 years they’ve been in that midfield and achieved foook all 

Why do we keep playing them season after season expecting things to change? 

Luongo and Lee are the pair I’d have moving forward 

I fear Bannan and Hutch are undroppable though, especially under Bullen 

The play off final was the key moment for me. It was so obvious our midfield was too lightweight. It seemed obvious to everyone. With a couple of key signings we could have gone up the following season.

How can nothing have really changed since?

7 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Hes in poor form, it happens to all players. The better players aren’t immune to a bad run. 

Right...but somehow on here it seems like they're not allowed. Despite the fact they probably have had more positive influence on our form over a sustained period of time.

The challenge is that the out ball for every player is Bannan. So if he's having an off day, then it seriously impacts us.

We have to learn to play football in a different way.

That's why Kieran Lee is so valuable.

Edited by McRightSide

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

They simply dont take control of the midfield and dominate. Many times on Saturday they were caught out of position or missing in action. This has happened time and time again for the last few seasons and showed they are not good enough to achieve promotion.

It's almost like it would work better with a 3 in there...

10 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

I agree but I think that’s partially down to bannan wanting to get involved in everything too. 

I think we need to change two things for him to get his form back. 

Get someone in as manager who doesn’t have or let him come sitting back deep to pick up every pass from the back and also he needs to learn to discipline himself to not do that himself.  He’s one of those players who would play the game on his own if he could he loves getting on. E ball but he needs to let other players do their bit and not try to cover everyone else’s job. 

It's not bannan dropping deep that is the issue, its Hutch doing it. The whole idea behind it is to draw their midfield in, creating a gap in midfield,  the CH should then be able to find a gap to slide the ball, so that you can work the ball through the zones. If one does it, the other has to move forward to receive the ball in the gap. The number 10 should also then drop, creating a higher midfield. There you can work through the higher zone, to the forward wings or to slip a through ball. 

When bannan comes to take the ball, hutch NEVER finds the forward space creating the impression that we play 2 deep midfielders. We then need to pass to the full backs or try the glory ball. When Nuhiu is on, he will drop deeper than Fletcher to optimise the space, but we then have no forward to play it to. 

When hutch drops to take the ball, the opposition allow him to have it (milwall being a great example of this... allow him to have the  ball because there is a 99% chance he will not create an opportunity). This means that there is only bannan in the middle, and he will have 2-3 men on him, effectively nullifying him. Hutch's options are then pass to a full back, who has the same options to pass forward, pass it to Lees (Borner will be marked as he is the better player) who will launch it down a channel or put his fullback in trouble, or hutch's final option is to go for a glory ball. All this time, hutch becomes another CH and exposes our midfield.

For me, you drop hutch and get someone in who knows how to play that role, ie Luongo. 

But, dont listen to me, listen to the people who think he's a brilliant footballer because he occasionally does a good slide tackle! Unfortunately Bullen fits in to this category!

16 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Btw I didn’t expect anything less than you portraying Hutchinson as anything other than crap, you have done it for a long time, even after he proved you and a lot of others wrong when jos went. 

Eh? Have I portrayed him badly in years gone by? I dont think so, but if you want to go digging to prove that you know me better than I know myself, then crack on big lad!

Hutch has been crap this season. Anyone saying differently is deluded. And it's not all about tactics... sometimes it comes down to using your bonce, and his natural instinct is to drop in to the back 4, exposing Bannan. This is his own choice. Bullen then doesnt do anything about it... why? I don't know.

And, for the record, I have had a go at Bannan before. He didnt play up to his level a few years ago, and I did have a dig (on here) about him. Maybe that's what you're referring to? Either way, I take it as a compliment that you take so much interest in what I post! ;-)

7 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

i Am not wasting time digging out old posts but you have given him grief and said he was done and not good enough when jos dropped him but anyhow.

The fact is he is the deep laying midfielder that’s his job, he isn’t a player who is goi g to do anything else. 

And again bannan is exposing himself, be it his own decision or bullens ( I think it’s tactics from Bullen)

all we are doing is trying to get the ball to bannan from the keeper or back four and he’s hitting long diagonal balls to the wingers or fletcher. Or better still..... stop knocking hopeful diagonal balls 

Which would be great but he’s the midfielder who should be there to pick up the second ball from fletcher. 

Hutchinson is playing deep but the defenders need to push up rather than sitting so deep and play a higher pressing game, it worked when we did it against reading and Barnsley and a couple of half’s in the other games.  

When we get someone who who knows what we are doing tactic wise you will see a marked improvement from both bannan and also Hutchinson. 

I only read your 1st paragraph, but I can categorically state that I never said anything when Jos dropped him... certainly not about him "being done and not good enough".  I've never thought that. I think he can be quality, but he needs direction and he isnt getting it. He isnt a natural midfielder, even he admits that. But to say I said he is done is either a fabrication on your part,  or you've got me mixed up with someone else.

1 hour ago, 2roland2 said:

Maybe I had you mixed up with a similar posting name. I guess when I saw the comment about him at the end of your quote I figured it was you but there are a few posters with Duncan in so guess it might not be 

Apology accepted :rolleyes: