Fernando

We don’t really know what’s going on with him, but it does seem like we are planning for life without him in the future via a more traditional approach.

I think he still has a big part to play though and if Murphy drops off then he can take his spot or Harris can, with FF left hand side.

I get the feeling that FF will end up being a case of what could have been. Such a talented player, works hard too, but various issues have really prevented him from getting where he could have been. 

Edited by Bluesteel

In a 4-4-3 he is struggling with the manager knowing where to play him. He’s not one for leading the line and Harris isn’t going to give way which leaves the other flank and a 1 in 3 or 4 chance of starting. Pretty amazing though how he’s gone from a must start to a bench warmer.

Edited by GMOwl72

21 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

This goes back to Watford as well. Most appearances he’s managed for them was 28. He’s just not reliable and after 4 years no one knows his best position. 

His best position is blatantly obvious. Either left wing in a 442 or LHS forward in a 433. 

He’s pretty versatile mind and could probably do a number of jobs along the front line. Makes no sense whatsoever to leave a player like this out of the match day squad (unless he’s not trying in training), even more so when you select a purely one dimensional player like Rhodes or on the evidence of Tuesday night an either unfit or injury damaged Winnall.  

The opening fixtures have encouraged us to play with two wingers. Maybe at Preston or other places like Leeds we will play slightly narrow and that’s where FF will be more use than Murphy, so he could either play slightly wide or as a no 10

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Skyline said:

I think the stats from his first 2 seasons disagree with your statement

Year
Matches
Goals
Assists
Yellow
Red

2019-20

2018-19

2017-18

2016-17

2015-16

Last two seasons have been very poor for him. Rapidly becoming Rhodes Mk2-player everyone is waiting to see the second coming of.

52 minutes ago, Walt said:

His best position is blatantly obvious. Either left wing in a 442 or LHS forward in a 433. 

He’s pretty versatile mind and could probably do a number of jobs along the front line. Makes no sense whatsoever to leave a player like this out of the match day squad (unless he’s not trying in training), even more so when you select a purely one dimensional player like Rhodes or on the evidence of Tuesday night an either unfit or injury damaged Winnall.  

Not blatantly obvious at all. He told Carvalhal he feels completely out of position playing on the left and that Forestieri thinks he’s a central player.

Look at these quotes from 2017. 

“I asked Fernando for his reasons why he had a bad pre-season. The answer he gave was he can’t play on the left side because he must track back to defend and doesn’t feel energy to attack," Portuguese boss Carvalhal said.

“Fernando said he feels totally comfortable in attack and completely out of position on the left side.”

Turns 30 in Jan and is one of our highest earners.

Cracking player on his day, but I'd assume he probably leaves in the summer.

Think they'll always be a bit of *if only* about Nando. He was so good in his first season and yet it has never felt quite right since the whole Norwich farce. 

I dont hold any grudges against him for that, but still.

36 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Turns 30 in Jan and is one of our highest earners.

Cracking player on his day, but I'd assume he probably leaves in the summer.

Think they'll always be a bit of *if only* about Nando. He was so good in his first season and yet it has never felt quite right since the whole Norwich farce. 

I dont hold any grudges against him for that, but still.

Thing is, for me, he is still one of our most dangerous players when his head in the game. Unfortunately that seems to be inconsistent but he has the ability to pull some magic out of the bag and can be a potential match winner even if he has contributed to little else during a game.

58 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Not blatantly obvious at all. He told Carvalhal he feels completely out of position playing on the left and that Forestieri thinks he’s a central player.

“I asked Fernando for his reasons why he had a bad pre-season. The answer he gave was he can’t play on the left side because he must track back to defend and doesn’t feel energy to attack," Portuguese boss Carvalhal said.

“Fernando said he feels totally comfortable in attack and completely out of position on the left side.”

Not really bothered what FF thinks, it’s what’s best for the team. It is blatantly obvious that his best displays have come as a forward on the left hand side.  He quite clearly is not as good when he plays central. 

Can not see how anyone who watches us can see it any differently tbh. 

Nando will definitely play his part this season. We are now playing 4-3-3 and this is the correct formation for us. Left of a front 3 suits him down to the ground. However, the other 3 wide players will give you more tracking back. Nando will press the centre backs but won’t track back. I’d give him a start in an easier home game to see how he gets on. I’d be tempted to go with Harris and FF at home for qpr and let them swap wings. 

I won't be writing him off.

We've made some cracking additions with Harris, Murphy, Luongo etc.

But even though all the lads look a lot fitter this season it only takes an injury or two and things can start to look very different.

I'm surprised we haven't seen him so far when we're now playing a system which I believe would suit him down to the ground.

Harris has been in absolutely outstanding form however.

26 minutes ago, Walt said:

Not really bothered what FF thinks, it’s what’s best for the team. It is blatantly obvious that his best displays have come as a forward on the left hand side.  He quite clearly is not as good when he plays central. 

Can not see how anyone who watches us can see it any differently tbh. 

The players openly said he doesn’t want to play on the left because he doesn’t want to track back? How is that best for the team?

5 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

The players openly said he doesn’t want to play on the left because he doesn’t want to track back? How is that best for the team?

Simple. Because we get better results when he plays on the left hand side as opposed to when he’s central.

FF mainly played left wing in a *442 under Carlos where he had to track back or if he didn’t track back the opposition right back had a decision to make whether or not to stay at home. Would you want FF unmarked if your the opposition? *Also whether by design or not we often ended up something like 343 (first season) under Carlos when we got the best out of FF

The formation now looks like a 4231 to me which allows a bit more freedom for FF’s more natural attacking game from the LHS of a front three (whether FF likes it or not). There’s no way he’s getting in in front of Harris on current form  but he’d always be an option from the bench for me as he can play a number of roles unlike the rest of our forwards. 

Everyone needs to stop looking to make excuses for him. It's the manager, it's the FA, it's the tactics. One person can bring out the best in Fessi, Fessi. If he knuckles down and delivers consistently when in training and on the pitch then he would start. Simple as that. At the minute based on performances, he's a sub. If he performs more like Fletch, Harris, Murphy, Bannan, Reach, Hutch then he would get a start. But he doesn't and hasn't performed at their level for many years.

2 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

Apart from hes dross up front and good on the LHS

15 minutes ago, Walt said:

Simple. Because we get better results when he plays on the left hand side as opposed to when he’s central.

FF mainly played left wing in a *442 under Carlos where he had to track back or if he didn’t track back the opposition right back had a decision to make whether or not to stay at home. Would you want FF unmarked if your the opposition? *Also whether by design or not we often ended up something like 343 (first season) under Carlos when we got the best out of FF

The formation now looks like a 4231 to me which allows a bit more freedom for FF’s more natural attacking game from the LHS of a front three (whether FF likes it or not). There’s no way he’s getting in in front of Harris on current form  but he’d always be an option from the bench for me as he can play a number of roles unlike the rest of our forwards. 

I wouldn’t play anyone whose not willing to track back or play certain positions. Forestieri isn’t good enough for me to have a complete free role in the team.

Under no circumstances did we ever play 3 at the back under Carlos. We consistently played 442 and he was criticised for never changing that.

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Apart from hes dross up front and good on the LHS

Tell that to him. I agree he’s better from the left as an attacking player. But if he’s made a point of not wanting too “track back” then he’s shouldn’t be playing on the left. Their is 2 sides to the game.