Loan Watch Rides Again!

Here's the latest instalment of Connor Kirby Watch ....

11th January

Macclesfield  1-1  Oldham       (att:  2,205)

Well our boy kept his place in Macc's starting XI and picked up another yellow card in the first half

He was subbed off after 80mins and Oldham went ahead five minutes later

But in a dramatic finale Wheater saw red for the visitors, handling a goal bound effort on the line

And Macc rescued another valuable point by scoring the resulting penalty in injury time

• Thanks 1

So-o-o....

Colchester  2-1  Macclesfield        (att:  3,252)

This was Connor Kirby's 28th game for Macc under his third different manager/coach - not counting caretakers etc

He also played the full 90 without being shown a yellow card  :biggrin:  However ...

Being 2-0 down after 16mins kinda spoiled his new gaffer's hopes of starting with a win and ending the U's 12 match unbeaten run

They did stick at it though, Macc just about edged the match stats at full time and pulling a goal back made for an interesting last twenty minutes

But the defeat leaves them just 2pts from bottom - with a couple of games in hand

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

So-o-o....

Colchester  2-1  Macclesfield        (att:  3,252)

This was Connor Kirby's 28th game for Macc under his third different manager/coach - not counting caretakers etc

He also played the full 90 without being shown a yellow card  :biggrin:  However ...

Being 2-0 down after 16mins kinda spoiled his new gaffer's hopes of starting with a win and ending the U's 12 match unbeaten run

They did stick at it though, Macc just about edged the match stats at full time and pulling a goal back made for an interesting last twenty minutes

But the defeat leaves them just 2pts from bottom - with a couple of games in hand

macc make us look like a well run club …...

• Haha 1

Thanks again Ethel the Tree.  I hope Shaw & Penney return to Wednesday, and eventually end up in the Squad because I think there's a Player in both of them, Shaw up front, and Penney down the left side, hope Kirby  gets a spot too.

Edited by Neon Nick
forgot to mention Kirby.

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

macc make us look like a well run club …...

His loan spell has definitely been educational   :mellow:

Aside from gaining valuable experience playing regularly in a competitive senior league

He'll know what players feel like representing a club whose existence depends on rulings in a court of law

Where the owner is being sued over debts owed to past employees, amongst others

Where wages arrive late, players go on strike and senior staff seek employment elsewhere

Where their local SAG step in to prevent games from going ahead

And where postponements result in a points deduction etc etc

I think a lot of players, clubs and fans will get a taste of this as the decade progresses - 'life in the EFL'

An organisation that needs to fine it's members in order to cover it's own legal fees?

EFL ... Every Fkr Loses!   :dry:  

9 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

Thanks again Ethel the Tree.  I hope Shaw & Penney return to Wednesday, and eventually end up in the Squad because I think there's a Player in both of them, Shaw up front, and Penney down the left side, hope Kirby  gets a spot too.

We've heard nothing of any changes in Matt Penney's situation

So I'm guessing he'll be over his hamstring injury by now and is back in Hamburg, ready to win back his place when their winter break ends

First game a week tomorrow - Greuther Furth (a)

Where?  I hear you ask   :biggrin:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

We've heard nothing of any changes in Matt Penney's situation

So I'm guessing he'll be over his hamstring injury by now and is back in Hamburg, ready to win back his place when their winter break ends

First game a week tomorrow - Greuther Furth (a)

Where?  I hear you ask   :biggrin:

I speak German, been to the BRD many, many times, don't even need a map to get around.  Don't know anything about Greuter-Fuerth FC though, other than where it is.

As for Penney, I remember him as a LB, running it out of the Wednesday backfield, into the oppositions' backfield, was always wondering when he'd get his goal, think it was 2016-17, maybe 2017-18, but he looked like the real deal.  He ran it out, faster than a "hoof out", and, suddenly, he disappears, re-appearing in the BRD.  I could see a Wednesday back 4 of Urhoghide, Iorfa, Boerner, and Penney.  

Keep us here in Owls Americas posted, you are a reputable source.  

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Neon Nick said:

I speak German, been to the BRD many, many times, don't even need a map to get around.  Don't know anything about Greuter-Fuerth FC though, other than where it is.

As for Penney, I remember him as a LB, running it out of the Wednesday backfield, into the oppositions' backfield, was always wondering when he'd get his goal, think it was 2016-17, maybe 2017-18, but he looked like the real deal.  He ran it out, faster than a "hoof out", and, suddenly, he disappears, re-appearing in the BRD.  I could see a Wednesday back 4 of Urhoghide, Iorfa, Boerner, and Penney.  

Keep us here in Owls Americas posted, you are a reputable source.  

Thanks again.

Backfield?.......I feel ill

Neon Nick suggests that we have Urhoghide and Penney in our back four.

Well Blackburn targeted Urhoghide and destroyed him to the point that he had to be taken out of the firing line at half time on Saturday.

This is professional football at Champioship level and it is knowing and ruthless.

Hopefully he can have develop his defending in Under 23 games or even a loan spell perhaps?

4 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Well Blackburn targeted Urhoghide and destroyed him to the point that he had to be taken out of the firing line at half time on Saturday.

This is professional football at Champioship level and it is knowing and ruthless.

Hopefully he can have develop his defending in Under 23 games or even a loan spell perhaps?

You're right, now Urhoghide is getting "blooded", knows what's it's like in the trenches, and to up his game, and he may, or may not up his game.  Penney was outstanding, didn't need any ''blooding", he was hauling ass out of the backfield, with the ball at his feet, knocking opponents aside and then...

Why develop either Player amongst teams other than Wednesday?  The U23's might be doing a lot better, if Wednesday didn't send the all best out on loan, and Wednesday just might get some young Players from within.

15 minutes ago, Neon Nick said:

You're right, now Urhoghide is getting "blooded", knows what's it's like in the trenches, and to up his game, and he may, or may not up his game.  Penney was outstanding, didn't need any ''blooding", he was hauling ass out of the backfield, with the ball at his feet, knocking opponents aside and then...

Why develop either Player amongst teams other than Wednesday?  The U23's might be doing a lot better, if Wednesday didn't send the all best out on loan, and Wednesday just might get some young Players from within.

Absolutely the right move to get Penney out on loan for the season. He started well, then faded badly in his last few games and with being out injured for a long while Fox has really cemented his place at LB so the experience Penney will get playing first team football (and the experience of playing abroad too) far outweighs any thing he'd get from playing from the U23s. I'd much rather see our players like Kirby etc out on loan getting proper game time experience.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

I think they did the same to Liam Palmer a few games past when they put four past us and he was caught day dreaming.

2 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

The players are the least of your worries.....stop saying bloody backfield......it’s up there with soccer as a phrase we don’t use

Carrying the ball from defence to attack is the phrase you need 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1