Loan Watch Rides Again!

26 May

Greuther Furth  0-2  VfL Osnabruck

Joost van Aken didn't make the matchday squad - might be due to injury, or else the coach needing to shake things

up after the lousy run they've been on?

Either way, this was a huge result for VfL - first win of the year and a rare clean sheet to boot

They even had a third goal ruled out by VAR

Still too close to the drop zone for comfort but perhaps JvA will now have his work cut out to get back into the side

• Like 1

27 May

St Pauli  0-0  Heidenheim

And whaddya know, Matt Penney failed to make the matchday squad in this one an' all

Coincidence or is something up?

On the face of it, a good point for Jos's crew - Heidenheim would've gone 2nd with a win

Visitors also missed a first half penalty so a goalless draw is probably okay

But where's Matt (and Joost)?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

27 May

St Pauli  0-0  Heidenheim

And whaddya know, Matt Penney failed to make the matchday squad in this one an' all

Coincidence or is something up?

On the face of it, a good point for Jos's crew - Heidenheim would've gone 2nd with a win

Visitors also missed a first half penalty so a goalless draw is probably okay

But where's Matt (and Joost)?

I guess their loan deals have expired and are being renegotiated till end of the season in Germany? 

Don't know why Penney and Van Aken were not included in match day squads today, but for me it is positive that Penney left dreaded KIN football agency and signed with New Vision sports.Hate bloody KIN.

3 minutes ago, malek said:

Don't know why Penney and Van Aken were not included in match day squads today, but for me it is positive that Penney left dreaded KIN football agency and signed with New Vision sports.Hate bloody KIN.

Tell us more Malek...examples?

29 May

VfL Osnabruck  2-2  Jahn Regensburg

Joost van Aken missing from the matchday squad once again  :dry:

VfL's hopes of building on their one game winning streak took a knock when they went 2-0 down and then missed a penalty

before half time

But two goals in three second half minutes levelled things up

A win would have seen them move above their visitors to the dizzy heights of 10th in the table

The draw means they're currently 5pts above the drop zone with five games left

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

No Penney in the St Pauli squad today again either.  I guess it’s the loan deals needing to be extended etc 

Dunno really, that young Swedish lad St Pauli have on loan from Brighton is playing today

I can't imagine Penney's loan terms are much different - especially as he's been training and played already since resumption

Might be injured I suppose

JvA's absence makes it doubly curious but he's been below par by all accounts

So maybe it's just coincidence after all  :mellow:  

13 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Dunno really, that young Swedish lad St Pauli have on loan from Brighton is playing today

I can't imagine Penney's loan terms are much different - especially as he's been training and played already since resumption

Might be injured I suppose

JvA's absence makes it doubly curious but he's been below par by all accounts

So maybe it's just coincidence after all  :mellow:  

Really not sure why Penney isn't playing. Not heard anything about him getting injured or anything along those lines.

Here is how well St Pauli with Penney in their team and without:

1. Penney starting - W5 D4 L1 = 19 points from 10 games

2. Penney getting subbed on - W1 D1 L1 = 4 points from 3 games

3. Penney not included - W2 D4 L6 = 10 points from 12 games

Promotion form when he is starting and relegation for when he is not in a matchday squad.

30 May

Karlsruher  1-1  St Pauli

The draw keeps things as they were at the bottom of the table - Karlsruher 3rd bottom and St Pauli 5pts ahead of them

The home side edged it on stats and missed a 2nd half penalty before St Pauli took the lead around 55mins

The lead only lasted a couple of minutes though and Jos getting himself booked in injury time suggests a nervy finish  

5 June

VfL Bochum  2-0  St Pauli

Matt Penney recalled to St Pauli's bench .... but he didn't get as far as the pitch

It's hard to fathom the details (unless you're watching the game on tv) but Bochum seemed good value for the win

They went ahead from the spot after 15mins, had one goal ruled out by VAR before half time and another for offside after the break

The 2nd goal that did count came 15mins from the end and sparked Jos's final round of substitutions

Didn't make much difference though  

1 hour ago, 360wiseowl said:

Jos has completely lost the plot. No consistency amongst his squad. It’s like he wants to get sacked. 
Look at the stats with Penney playing compared to the stats when he’s not involved. Speaks volumes. 

I don't know enough about Jos's squad to question his selections tbf

Perhaps you wouldn't normally change your left back if you're chasing a tight game against a side who're clearly on top?

I dunno

Does seem like Penney is now back in the reckoning though

And that's good with four games left, especially as they might need to win at least two of them

2 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I don't know enough about Jos's squad to question his selections tbf

Perhaps you wouldn't normally change your left back if you're chasing a tight game against a side who're clearly on top?

I dunno

Does seem like Penney is now back in the reckoning though

And that's good with four games left, especially as they might need to win at least two of them

Earlier in this topic you got stats with Penney starting for St Pauli against him not starting. On St Pauli's FB page there are many St Pauli fans questioning if Jos actually wants to get fired. They just can't understand his team selections these last few games.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, malek said:

Earlier in this topic you got stats with Penney starting for St Pauli against him not starting. On St Pauli's FB page there are many St Pauli fans questioning if Jos actually wants to get fired. They just can't understand his team selections these last few games.

Those stats speak for themselves

Which makes me think Penney's absence has nothing to do with tactics

He started the first game after lock-down but was then the first player to be replaced - fitness? injury?

He was an unused sub the following game and was then left out of the squad altogether for the next two

We know Jos likes to assess his players by what they do in training

So maybe Matt is a bit behind his teammates - or carrying a knock?

Either way, it looks like he's back in contention now and I'm sure he'll get his chance

Especially if St Pauli keep losing

3 minutes ago, 360wiseowl said:

Sounds like you have inside information?Penney was the 2nd player to be replaced that first game back- dimi the first on 38 minutes.

In contention because he’s back in the squad?? Jos is playing silly buggers. The facts are there to see. A bit behind his teammates- nah, I believe there’s more to Jos selection these last 4 games. 

oops   

As for the rest of my post, I'm just guessing along with everyone else   :rolleyes:

7 June

Stuttgart  0-0  VfL Osnabruck

Another valuable point away to the side currently sitting 2nd in the table

It moves VfL above St Pauli on goal difference and 5pts above danger

Joost van Aken failed to make the matchday squad once again

Loan Watch hasn't really lived up to it's name these past few weeks

As neither one of the two players we're supposed to be watching has actually featured

I was tempted to 'do a Livingston' and overlook these remaining fixtures unless there's a change

But then thought: sod it.  Both sides have only four games left, so I may as well see it through to the end   :mellow:

• Like 1