Loan Watch Rides Again!

30 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

I'd add Liam Shaw to that as well. My mate is a Chesterfield fan and says in his first game he was near enough in tears, think they lost 5-1 to Hartlepool. 

That balance of giving them first team football vs ruining their confidence. The player's personality being a factor as well. 

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."

That's an old Klingon proverb, I think  :biggrin:

Seriously though, losing is part of football

Liam has turned out as a 17yr old for our U23s and been on the wrong end of a heavy defeat - more than once

Whatever experience he gets playing for Chesterfield will be character-forming in the long run

If no-one else comes calling, I hope this loan spell gets extended after Christmas

Guest Grez Bez
5 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

I'd add Liam Shaw to that as well. My mate is a Chesterfield fan and says in his first game he was near enough in tears, think they lost 5-1 to Hartlepool. 

That balance of giving them first team football vs ruining their confidence. The player's personality being a factor as well. 

That's why he's there. If he can't handle the pressure in front of a small crowd he'll have no chance at Hillsborough.

Mental strength is the biggest barrier to whether you make it if you ask me

No.7  SV  Holstein  Kiel

... or KSV Holstein (1900) if you prefer.

Kiel is that large northern city and major port on the Baltic Sea.  A population of around 250k means it just squeaks into Germany's top 30

Noted for it's high-tech shipbuilding industry (esp. submarines), being a base for Germany's Baltic Fleet and hosting various annual sailing events, it's hardly surprising then that the city should be 'twinned' with Coventry  :mellow:

The club joined the list of others effectively cast adrift when German football was restructured and the Bundesliga formed in 1963

In fact, promotion from 3.Liga in 2017 saw their return to this level after a thirty-five year gap!

They just missed out on promotion to the top flight the following season (losing to Wolsburg in the play-offs) and finished last season in 6th place

And that's where they are right now, having overcome the shock of being outclassed by Wednesday in a pre-season friendly  :biggrin:

7th December

SV Holstein Kiel  2-4  VfL Osnabruck          (att: 11,920)

Another goalfest as Joost van Aken was restored to his more customary role as left CB

VfL started the game a point behind their hosts but put them to the sword with three goals in a fairly dramatic second half

KSV were ahead on 10mins then conceded a penalty after thirty before being awarded one of their own two minutes before half time

But that lead quickly vanished after the break and VfL were already 4-2 up when a red card reduced KSV to ten men with ten minutes remaining

The result extends VfL's impressive run to seven unbeaten and moves them up to 5th in the table

• Like 1

7th December contd.

Chesterfield  1-2  Bromley           (att:  3,270)

Yikes!

Chezzy were actually leading at half time

But then conceded twice in the last 15mins - the second an OG

Liam Shaw was on the bench for this but came on in injury time, maybe looking for a lucky bounce?

The result keeps Bromley 2nd in the table but sees Chezzy slip to 2nd bottom 

• Like 1

8th December

Jahn Regensburg  1-0  St. Pauli            (att: 15,026)

Seems like this one went with the formbook

Defeat last weekend for Regensburg (p.17) ended their seven game unbeaten run

Whereas this defeat extends St Pauli's winless run to eight in the league, nine in all competitions

And yet Jos might feel hard done by to leave Bavaria with nothing

His side edged the 1st half only to concede after 42mins, then a red card meant they had to play the last quarter with ten men

Still, they gave it a go

There's no doubting injury has put a crimp on Matt Penney's loan spell

He's been out five weeks now and when he finally makes a full recovery it looks like he'll be joining a full-on relegation battle  :sad:

• Like 1

10th December

Chesterfield  1-2  Yeovil         (att:  3,161)

Rotten luck for Liam Shaw that his big loan opportunity should coincide with Chezzy's worst run of form all season

No wins since October, five defeats and just 2pts collected since then

Yeovil arrived 3rd in the division and with valuable points at stake it was hardly surprising to see Liam retain his place on the bench

And with Chezzy going behind after just two minutes and then conceding a second from the spot 20mins later, it was hardly surprising that

he stayed there

Shez had used all his subs before the hour mark and although they pulled one goal back shortly afterwards it wasn't enough

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

10th December

Chesterfield  1-2  Yeovil         (att:  3,161)

Rotten luck for Liam Shaw that his big loan opportunity should coincide with Chezzy's worst run of form all season

No wins since October, five defeats and just 2pts collected since then

Yeovil arrived 3rd in the division and with valuable points at stake it was hardly surprising to see Liam retain his place on the bench

And with Chezzy going behind after just two minutes and then conceding a second from the spot 20mins later, it was hardly surprising that

he stayed there

Shez had used all his subs before the hour mark and although they pulled one goal back shortly afterwards it wasn't enough

seems to be a theme developing that we only loan to crap teams ……...,macc , chessie , gainsboro, st pauli  all struggling , livvie not doing too bad but then they would seen as they don't play our lad . ...guess its character building if nowt else the boys 

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

seems to be a theme developing that we only loan to crap teams ……...,macc , chessie , gainsboro, st pauli  all struggling , livvie not doing too bad but then they would seen as they don't play our lad . ...guess its character building if nowt else the boys 

VfL Osnabruck are doing okay, which kind of makes sense

As Joost van Aken is the one least likely to come back!   :laugh:

14th December

St. Pauli  3-1  Wehen Wiesbaden         (att: 29,211)

As SV Wehen (p.12) were one of only three sides below them in the table, this was definitely a must-win for Jos & co

St Pauli took a deserved 1-0 lead into the break but allowed their visitors to draw level on 70mins

Looked a more even contest after that but a second goal with 5mins left and a third in injury time cured the jitters

Matt Penney didn't feature as we saw him back in Sheffield doing the community rounds midweek

There's one game left before the winter break and I can't see him being involved in that, either

• Like 1

14th December contd....

Nottingham Forest  0-4  Wednesday      :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And elsewhere ...

Walsall  1-1  Macclesfield                (att:  3,846)

An odd one this

There was talk in the week that the two players suspended for the Crewe game last week would serve their bans when that fixture was rescheduled

Well Connor Kirby's absence from this game suggests that wouldn't be the case

But the other player - Jay Harris - played, so I don't know what's gone off there

As for the match, Macc took an early lead and led at half time, but the stats say Walsall were well on top

So maybe it was a good, hard-earned away point at the finish

Chesterfield  0-1  Notts County             (att:  931)

FA Trophy match and clearly not one to capture the supporters' imagination

Liam Shaw was on the bench for the third consecutive game and unlike last time, was given a run-out ... in the 88th minute

Chezzy were already behind by then, so there wasn't much time for him to make an impact

As a side note ...

I checked Livingston's matchday squad - y' know, just in case (like you do)

And according to FlashScore Jack Stobbs is unavailable for selection due to injury

So maybe there's life in his loan spell up there yet - or maybe not

(St. Mirren  3-3  Livingston)     

• Like 2

Guest Grez Bez
17 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

14th December contd....

Nottingham Forest  0-4  Wednesday      :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And elsewhere ...

Walsall  1-1  Macclesfield                (att:  3,846)

An odd one this

There was talk in the week that the two players suspended for the Crewe game last week would serve their bans when that fixture was rescheduled

Well Connor Kirby's absence from this game suggests that wouldn't be the case

But the other player - Jay Harris - played, so I don't know what's gone off there

As for the match, Macc took an early lead and led at half time, but the stats say Walsall were well on top

So maybe it was a good, hard-earned away point at the finish

Chesterfield  0-1  Notts County             (att:  931)

FA Trophy match and clearly not one to capture the supporters' imagination

Liam Shaw was on the bench for the third consecutive game and unlike last time, was given a run-out ... in the 88th minute

Chezzy were already behind by then, so there wasn't much time for him to make an impact

As a side note ...

I checked Livingston's matchday squad - y' know, just in case (like you do)

And according to FlashScore Jack Stobbs is unavailable for selection due to injury

So maybe there's life in his loan spell up there yet - or maybe not

(St. Mirren  3-3  Livingston)     

Stobbs needs to be sent to someone like Cheesy. Needs games at 22.

Would love to see Alex Hunt and Thorniley loaned out too. Was disappointed not to see Alex get a run out for 10 mins yesterday

58 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Stobbs needs to be sent to someone like Cheesy. Needs games at 22.

Would love to see Alex Hunt and Thorniley loaned out too. Was disappointed not to see Alex get a run out for 10 mins yesterday

Non-league loans are a good option for some of our youngsters

They're usually a month long and can happen outside of the transfer window

But I agree, some of our boys need to see out the season playing regularly higher up the food chain

I'd include Baker, Preston and Wildsmith in that - even Grant and Borukov

Jack Stobbs?  I have a sneaky feeling his ship has sailed   :sad:

15th December

VfL Osnabruck  3-0  Dynamo Dresden        (att: 15,352)

Another predictable outcome

VfL extend their impressive run to stay in touch with the play-off positions - Dresden now with one win in eleven and rooted to the bottom

Joost van Aken looks at home in this side

31 minutes ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Osnabruck wining again and Van Aken starts. He could be playing in the Bundesliga next season (decent chance of them making it permanent transfer if so?)

Decent chance of his loan becoming permanent in January

He seems more suited at this level than he ever did in the Championship

By next week, he'll have played more minutes for VFL in four months than he did for us in two seasons

Of course, we don't know how this loan in structured, how much Heerenveen are still owed and how much VfL can afford

We'll have to wait and see, I guess

Just to add - what a fascinating and colourful history Dynamo Dresden have

I'd be hard pressed to summarize them in a few pithy sentences   :mellow:

I might have to give it a go though, when the time comes

That's assuming we still have a loan interest in 2.Bundesliga after their winter break