Loan Watch Rides Again!

21st January

Macclesfield  1-1  Crewe        (att:  2,435)

Heartbreak for Connor Kirby's side as they concede a last-gasp equaliser from a 95th minute corner

The stats suggest they bossed the first half an led through an own goal scored a minute from the break

But they couldn't hold out as Crewe came on strong in the second half and forced a number of late corners

Despite all that pressure, the equaliser was their only effort on target

So, the point moves Crewe up to 3rd in the table while Macc remain 3rd from bottom and cursing their luck 

12 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

You're right, now Urhoghide is getting "blooded", knows what's it's like in the trenches, and to up his game, and he may, or may not up his game.  Penney was outstanding, didn't need any ''blooding", he was hauling ass out of the backfield, with the ball at his feet, knocking opponents aside and then...

Why develop either Player amongst teams other than Wednesday?  The U23's might be doing a lot better, if Wednesday didn't send the all best out on loan, and Wednesday just might get some young Players from within.

Penney got the Urhoghide v Blackburn treatment against Boro and never recovered.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Penney got the Urhoghide v Blackburn treatment against Boro and never recovered.

He busted his shoulder against Villa (arguably his best game for us) and played injured and often out of position since.

It was as soon as Bruce took over that he got set for operation that kept him out till end of the season.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, malek said:

He busted his shoulder against Villa (arguably his best game for us) and played injured and often out of position since.

It was as soon as Bruce took over that he got set for operation that kept him out till end of the season.

Ah ok.

So his busted shoulder didn’t affect his performance until he was rubbish. 

Ok then.

On 20/01/2020 at 08:55, Ethel The Tree said:

We've heard nothing of any changes in Matt Penney's situation

So I'm guessing he'll be over his hamstring injury by now and is back in Hamburg, ready to win back his place when their winter break ends

First game a week tomorrow - Greuther Furth (a)

Where?  I hear you ask   :biggrin:

Penney played 30 mins in a Friendly on Sunday. Should be fit for Fürth next week. 

19 hours ago, Ian said:

The players are the least of your worries.....stop saying bloody backfield......it’s up there with soccer as a phrase we don’t use

Carrying the ball from defence to attack is the phrase you need 

Sounds very like American Football to melol

How about renaming a penalty as a 'field goal?'

I'm just trying to be helpful.

• Like 1

25th January

Macclesfield  2-1  Forest Green          (att:  1,653)

Forest Green hope to establish themselves as serious promotion contenders and started this game like a house on fire

They took the lead on 17mins and generally dominated proceedings while Macc struggled to get going

The visitors then missed a penalty at the start of the 2nd half and it proved to be a turning point

Connor Kirby started as usual but was subbed off on 72mins, with his replacement immediately playing a part in Macc's equaliser

Macc then went down to 10 men following a red card with ten minutes remaining

But rather than cling on for another valuable point they managed to conjure up a late winner!

• Thanks 3

On 20/01/2020 at 07:55, Ethel The Tree said:

Where?  I hear you ask   :biggrin:

No.8  SpVgg  Greuther Furth

Furth is a small city in northern Bavaria - picturesque, loads of historic monuments, old buildings etc and a population of around 130k

It's situated close enough to the larger city of Nuremberg to be mistaken for a suburb ... but it isn't

The club traces it's history back to 1903 but two sides SpVgg Furth and TSV Vestenbergsgreuth joined forces in 1996 to create the club we see today

The merger provided financial stability, enough at least to upgrade the stadium and quickly establish themselves in Germany's 2nd tier

In fact, they actually won promotion to the top flight in 2012 but came straight back down again having failed to win a single home game

throughout that following season - although they did beat FC Nurnberg away, so that probably eased the pain a bit  :mellow:

They've pretty much remained the perennial mid-table 2.Bundesliga side ever since, and as they're currently placed 8th that looks set to continue 

28th January

Greuther Furth  3-0  St Pauli          (att:  9,220)

Matt Penney, fit again following the hamstring injury he picked up at the beginning of November,

had to make do with a place on the bench

He was eventually called upon after 77mins with his side trailing to a goal scored just before the break

Unfortunately, the home side scored again in the 86th minute before adding a third in injury time

Still, it probably felt good to be back - although the defeat leaves Jos & co looking anxiously over their shoulders once again   :sad:

Meanwhile ...

Newport Co  1-0  Macclesfield          (att:  3,354)

This was Ash Baker  v  Connor Kirby and the honours went to the Welshman

Connor played this one at RB according to the BBC, LB according to Macc's Twitter updates

Either way, he did all his best work in defence

Wasn't enough though as Newport were good value for their 1st half lead and seemed comfortable holding on to it  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

29th January

VfL Osnabruck  1-3  Sandhausen      (att: 13,298)

Joost van Aken's 16th start for VfL seemed to hinge on a penalty awarded to the visitors 2mins before half time

The home keeper was then shown two yellow cards in quick succession (VAR raising it's ugly head?) and it was his replacement who 

eventually got to pick the ball out of the net seven minutes after the original offence took place   :mellow: 

10-man VfL got the goal they wanted straight after the break but conceded again on the hour

Pushing for a second equaliser meant leaving themselves open to the counter and Sandhausen took full advantage with a third goal late on

• Thanks 1

Disappointed there aren't any new additions to follow on this thread, but not surprised

Our U23s aren't doing well enough and those senior players who might be considered surplus are earning too much

So never mind, eh?

I'll continue with the three that's left and maybe one or two youngsters might get a few games in non-league before the season ends

1st February

St Pauli  1-1  VfB Stuttgart             (att: 29,546)

Matt Penney played the whole match, his 7th league start and another big game played before another full house

The visitors arrived 3rd in the table and edged a tight first half, but St Pauli were the first to score after 56mins

More of the same followed - Stuttgart having more possession and creating the better chances

And it eventually paid off for them with an 81st minute equaliser scored by veteran ex-international Mario Gomez

The point was probably of more value to Stuttgart who move up a place while St Pauli's position remains precarious

• Like 2

Also ...

Macclesfield  0-1  Northampton           (att:  1,712)

Tempted to call this one Connor Kirby  v  Chris Lines, but then Vadaine Oliver featured in the visitors line-up too

He being an ex-academy player who signed professional terms with us but never made the first team - although he has carved out a career for

himself in the lower leagues, 28yr old now with about 60 goals in over 300 appearances in all competitions - but I digress   :rolleyes:

Connor was back in midfield by the looks and picked up his customary yellow card in the 1st half before being subbed off on 74mins

Northampton were already ahead by then and held on to move up to 5th in the table

Macc just have to hope Stevenage keep losing - which they did, 3-0 at home to Orient

• Like 2

Before consulting Wiki, I had Darmstadt down as one of maybe three top venues favoured by British bands touring Europe in the early 70s

In fact, the way Deke Leonard describes the place in his various memoirs kinda makes me wish I'd been there  :rolleyes:
  Now, thanks to t' internet I can say Darmstadt is located in SW Germany, close to Frankfurt, and known as "The City of Science"

Noted for it's universities and hi-tech industries, being mission control for the European Space Agency as well as leading the way in chemical and

pharmaceutical research
  So now I'm thinking Deke and the boys probably had a greater influence on future generations than they could ever have imagined back in 1971  :biggrin:

No.9   SV  Darmstadt  98

Their football club never really achieved those same dizzying heights though - remaining a 2nd tier fixture on average
  Things changed in the 90s when they encountered a sharp decline in fortunes that eventually led to insolvency proceedings around 2008
  The club avoided bankruptcy and welcome investment then triggered a dramatic rise from Germany's 4th tier all the way to the top flight in 2015

Nose bleed territory this, after a gap of 33yrs
  They couldn't maintain it though and after two seasons were relegated back down to the cosy mid-table surroundings of 2.Bundesliga

2nd February

Darmstadt 98  2-2  VfL Osnabruck       (att: 14,429)

Joost van Aken & co really needed to rediscover the form that got them within sight of the playoffs before the winter break 

But two straight defeats have seen them drop off the pace and it doesn't help having a man sent off two games running

The home side took the lead on 35mins (it had been coming tbf) but a penalty awarded 7mins later meant the sides went in level at half time  

When the card-happy ref reduced VfL to 10 men with half an hour remaining a draw probably looked like a good result

VfL took a shock lead on 77mins but conceded again before they could park the bus

Disappointing, but the draw was probably a good result after all 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Before consulting Wiki, I had Darmstadt down as one of maybe three top venues favoured by British bands touring Europe in the early 70s

In fact, the way Deke Leonard describes the place in his various memoirs kinda makes me wish I'd been there  :rolleyes:
  Now, thanks to t' internet I can say Darmstadt is located in SW Germany, close to Frankfurt, and known as "The City of Science"

Noted for it's universities and hi-tech industries, being mission control for the European Space Agency as well as leading the way in chemical and

pharmaceutical research
  So now I'm thinking Deke and the boys probably had a greater influence on future generations than they could ever have imagined back in 1971  :biggrin:

No.9   SV  Darmstadt  98

Their football club never really achieved those same dizzying heights though - remaining a 2nd tier fixture on average
  Things changed in the 90s when they encountered a sharp decline in fortunes that eventually led to insolvency proceedings around 2008
  The club avoided bankruptcy and welcome investment then triggered a dramatic rise from Germany's 4th tier all the way to the top flight in 2015

Nose bleed territory this, after a gap of 33yrs
  They couldn't maintain it though and after two seasons were relegated back down to the cosy mid-table surroundings of 2.Bundesliga

Twinned with Chesterfield