Loan Watch Rides Again!

12 minutes ago, malek said:

St Pauli won 4 times and lost only once when Penney started for them. 15 points from 8 games would be promotion winning form (or very close).

He's Jos' lucky mascot   :biggrin:

His 12 league starts for us (all under Jos) ....   W6   D4   L2   -   22pts

I can see a pattern there, can you?

3 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

He's Jos' lucky mascot   :biggrin:

His 12 league starts for us (all under Jos) ....   W6   D4   L2   -   22pts

I can see a pattern there, can you?

There certainly was a reason why Jos wanted him at St Pauli, especially considering that his last season at Sheffield Wednesday (Penney didn't feature in previous season) wasn't happy one.

2 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

I had a quick glance at the blackpool result Saturday see how Thornley was going on, not in team and not on the bench..... Is he injured? 

If he is, it must've happened during training

He's made two starts for Blackpool, played the whole game both times, and last appeared as an unused sub on 1st February - nothing since then  :mellow:

Same goes for Ash Baker

He started his first four games for Newport and was subbed off last time out (presumed injured?) also on 1st February - heard nothing else since  :sad:

• Thanks 1

6th March

VfL Osnabruck  2-6  Wehen Wiesbaden             (att: 15,469)

Worth bearing in mind that SV Wehen (p.12) have been glued to the relegation places all season

and arrived in Osnabruck second bottom, just 1pt above Dresden

So it must have come as a shock to find themselves 5-1 up going into 1st half injury time

VfL had scored first too! and did manage to score again before the break but a sixth for Wehen in the 92nd minute completed the rout

Joost van Aken probably counts himself lucky to have been an unused sub

On 02/03/2020 at 12:44, Ethel The Tree said:
On 02/03/2020 at 09:40, Drewswfc said:

I had a quick glance at the blackpool result Saturday see how Thornley was going on, not in team and not on the bench..... Is he injured? 

If he is, it must've happened during training

He's made two starts for Blackpool, played the whole

He was dropped and hasn’t been able to get back in.

Played in the stiffs this week and they got pounded (one goal coming from a JT mistake) and went off injured later in the game.

So wasn’t injured, but probably is now...but hasn’t impressed since moving there

• Thanks 2

I'll keep this thread going for those of us who might welcome a break from all the turmoil  :sad:

7th March

Plymouth  3-0  Macclesfield           (att: 12,310)

Home side maintain their push for automatic promotion while the visitors' lousy run of form continues

Connor Kirby started as usual, got booked early on and was then subbed off on 77mins with his side trailing 2-0

Plymouth added a third almost immediately afterwards and that's how it finished

Unless things improve, Macc's season is going to depend on how Stevenage get on and as luck would have it (!) they lost again as well

• Thanks 1

If Aue (p. 5) is the smallest city to have a side in the 2nd tier of German football then Sandhausen must be the smallest town

The population is listed at around 15k but the town itself is situated just a few short miles south of Heidelberg, a city roughly ten times bigger

In fact Heidelberg, being a world-famous university city, favours Rugby Union so perhaps those who prefer to watch football happily travel down to

Sandhausen to get their fix ...

No.11   SV  Sandhausen

... which might explain why their home stadium has a capacity capable of accommodating the whole town

Or maybe not, that part of SW Germany is fairly densely populated as it is and as their closest rivals appear to be Karlsruher (p.27) - and

that's about 30 mile away - then perhaps they're at the heart of a thriving catchment area anyway

Still a small town club though, who had to wait until 2012 to gain promotion to 2.Bundesliga for the first time in their history

They've held their own at that level since then but are struggling a bit this season - currently 14th

That's 3pts above the relegation playoff place and 1pt behind today's visitors: St Pauli

• Like 1

8th March

SV Sandhausen  2-2  St Pauli              (att:  9,872)

St Pauli were looking for their third straight win and things were looking good when they went ahead midway through the 1st half

But they conceded an equaliser from the spot on the stroke of half time - seems like Matt Penney was the culprit as he was also booked

Whether it was the foul, the booking or else injuring himself in the challenge?  He didn't appear for the second half   :mellow:

When Sandhausen took the lead after 63mins it had been on the cards, but then St Pauli found an equaliser with about 15mins remaining

and hung on to claim a valuable away point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

8th March

SV Sandhausen  2-2  St Pauli              (att:  9,872)

St Pauli were looking for their third straight win and things were looking good when they went ahead midway through the 1st half

But they conceded an equaliser from the spot on the stroke of half time - seems like Matt Penney was the culprit as he was also booked

Whether it was the foul, the booking or else injuring himself in the challenge?  He didn't appear for the second half   :mellow:

When Sandhausen took the lead after 63mins it had been on the cards, but then St Pauli found an equaliser with about 15mins remaining

and hung on to claim a valuable away point

Yes, it was Penney who conceded unlucky penalty.

Did quite well in the first half and then got replaced for what was I believe a tactical decision. Their back-line looked shaky so they countered it by switching to 3 man defense, substituting Penney for another CB.

• Thanks 1

Have to blow the cobwebs off this thread 

I don't like 'behind closed doors' as a concept myself, but I suppose they're official appearances that count etc so ...

17 May

St Pauli  1-0  FC Nurnberg

Visitors went down to 10 men after 55mins

Matt Penney started but was subbed off on 68mins

The player who replaced him bagged the winner 6mins before FT - tactical genius that Jos fella  :biggrin:

Arminia Bielefeld  1-1  VfL Osnabruck

So VfL took their lousy run of results to the league leaders

Went behind to a 1st half penalty but came away with a point thanks to a 94th minute equaliser

Joost van Aken played the whole game 

Just hope these players come through safely - all of them really, but Matt & Joost in particular

• Like 2

I guess we'll be waiting a while yet for official confirmation on how the 2019/20 season might finish

But League 2 seem to have thrown the towel in already - although it remains complicated  

So it's safe to say Connor Kirby's loan spell at Macclesfield is over, here's the summary of his time there ...

total ...   P 39        W  8         D 15         L 16         Goals  1

league      29  +5        4  +3      12  +1      13  +1              1

cups           5              1              2              2

The stats perhaps only tell half a story, but 39 games generally amounts to a full season of senior football

So good for him, I'm sure the experience will be invaluable

As for everything else that happened at the club while he was there - and it's quite a list - I'll wait till his book comes out

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 14:41, Ethel The Tree said:

Have to blow the cobwebs off this thread 

I don't like 'behind closed doors' as a concept myself, but I suppose they're official appearances that count etc so ...

17 May

St Pauli  1-0  FC Nurnberg

Visitors went down to 10 men after 55mins

Matt Penney started but was subbed off on 68mins

The player who replaced him bagged the winner 6mins before FT - tactical genius that Jos fella  :biggrin:

Arminia Bielefeld  1-1  VfL Osnabruck

So VfL took their lousy run of results to the league leaders

Went behind to a 1st half penalty but came away with a point thanks to a 94th minute equaliser

Joost van Aken played the whole game 

Just hope these players come through safely - all of them really, but Matt & Joost in particular

Just to add Ethel..... it was Joost that gave away the first half penalty. That said reports suggest he had a decent game. Cant find much on how Penney played.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I guess we'll be waiting a while yet for official confirmation on how the 2019/20 season might finish

But League 2 seem to have thrown the towel in already - although it remains complicated  

So it's safe to say Connor Kirby's loan spell at Macclesfield is over, here's the summary of his time there ...

total ...   P 39        W  8         D 15         L 16         Goals  1

league      29  +5        4  +3      12  +1      13  +1              1

cups           5              1              2              2

The stats perhaps only tell half a story, but 39 games generally amounts to a full season of senior football

So good for him, I'm sure the experience will be invaluable

As for everything else that happened at the club while he was there - and it's quite a list - I'll wait till his book comes out

Reckon he'll have done a hell of a lot of maturing as that season went on. Really looked like he stepped up to the plate with all that was going on. Hopefully we can see him given a chance at some level when he's back.

23 May

Darmstadt 98  4-0  St Pauli

Matt Penney watched from the bench as St Pauli's five game unbeaten run came to an end

Jos made four changes around the hour mark with his side trailing 1-0 

Didn't do much good as they conceded three more in the last 20mins and then missed a penalty in added time  :mellow:

VfL Osnabruck  2-4  Hannover 96

VfL were 2-1 up at the start of the 2nd half, probably hoping for their first win since the middle of December

Hannover scotched that idea with three goals of their own in the last 20mins of this one

Joost van Aken played the whole game and even got himself on the score sheet by bagging Hannover's first goal  :dry:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

23 May

Darmstadt 98  4-0  St Pauli

Matt Penney watched from the bench as St Pauli's five game unbeaten run came to an end

Jos made four changes around the hour mark with his side trailing 1-0 

Didn't do much good as they conceded three more in the last 20mins and then missed a penalty in added time  :mellow:

VfL Osnabruck  2-4  Hannover 96

VfL were 2-1 up at the start of the 2nd half, probably hoping for their first win since the middle of December

Hannover scotched that idea with three goals of their own in the last 20mins of this one

Joost van Aken played the whole game and even got himself on the score sheet by bagging Hannover's first goal  :dry:

Van aken had a mare of a game scored the own goal didn't stop the cross coming in for hannover's 3rd and still looked so slow 

3 minutes ago, 360wiseowl said:

When Penney starts they win or draw. St Pauli were shocking today. Jos made too many changes with players and formation 

It’s not as if we haven’t seen that before? 🙄

19 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

Van aken had a mare of a game scored the own goal didn't stop the cross coming in for hannover's 3rd and still looked so slow 

So do you reckon football-without-crowds is going to catch on?

Seems like there are two choices ...

Either get used to it - or forget about it altogether

I'm leaning towards the second option, although I might think differently if Wednesday were playing   :unsure:

It's like going to a reserve game , you can hear the echoes and shouts of the players ultimately it's just nice to have something to watch and take mind off what's going on with the world.

I still think the leagues over here should just be ended and start preparing for next season 

6 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

So do you reckon football-without-crowds is going to catch on?

Seems like there are two choices ...

Either get used to it - or forget about it altogether

I'm leaning towards the second option, although I might think differently if Wednesday were playing   :unsure:

• Thanks 2