Loan Watch Rides Again!

On 25/11/2019 at 15:36, Ethel The Tree said:

This from Glynn Snodin (doing tomorrow night's pre-match) ...

Might struggle at Chesterfield , god only knows what Sheridan’s doing down there 

completely lost the plot by looks 

26th November

Chesterfield  1-5  Hartlepool         (att:  3,420)

Liam Shaw kept his place as Shez made six changes to his starting XI after the weekend's defeat

Perhaps a few too many though as the visitors eased into a 2-0 lead before 30mins were played

An own goal in 1st half injury time gave them hope but they were 4-1 down before the hour mark

Hartlepool had to see out ten added minutes a man short following an injury

But they were 5-1 up by then Chezzy couldn't capitalize anyway

• Thanks 1

John Sheridan was quite brutal in his assessment of last night's game

He had this to say about Liam's performance:

On-loan Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Liam Shaw made his home debut and the Spireites manager thought that the 18-year-old showed a lot of character.

“He made mistakes during the game but he’s an 18-year-old kid who wants the ball and still trying to compete,” said Sheridan.

“He’s shown really good things. He made mistakes but that’s part and parcel of an 18-year-old player who’s still learning the game.

He would have been better just being complimentary about his ability and potential. Last thing Shaw needs is any criticism after a 1-5 defeat. Save the little bit of criticism for when they win. Then Shaw will be able to take it.

17 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Sheridan’s having a nightmare, how he’s still in a job is beyond me 

I haven't paid much attention to Chesterfield's plight before this week

But Shez has bags of experience and a decent record too

Maybe he's starting from scratch there?  I dunno

The National League (and the National League North) are full of clubs who probably thought they'd bounce straight back after relegation

They may be small pools, but there are quite a few 'big fish' also struggling to get out

12 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I haven't paid much attention to Chesterfield's plight before this week

But Shez has bags of experience and a decent record too

Maybe he's starting from scratch there?  I dunno

The National League (and the National League North) are full of clubs who probably thought they'd bounce straight back after relegation

They may be small pools, but there are quite a few 'big fish' also struggling to get out

Small pools with a tiny gap to swim through to get upstream... and a ruddy great sewer grate at the bottom towards the abyss...

Time for another boring interlude

And since we're following JvA's progress there, it's only fair ...

No.6  VfL  Osnabruck

Osnabruck is one of the four largest cities in Lower Saxony (NW Germany) and has a current population similar in size to (say) Luton or Preston

It apparently took some heavy damage during the war and major rebuilding had one eye on the region's historic past

The results look tasteful and impressive - unlike Luton and Preston, which remain total dumps by comparison

Anyhow, the club.  We know what VfL stands for, and they cite 1899 as the year it all came together

In modern football terms, the club have never reached the top flight although there were early ambitions to be a part of it

The second tier with numerous visits down to the third has been their level

And promotion last season as 3.Liga champions means they're back again for another crack at the big time

29th November

VfL Osnabruck  2-1  Hamburger SV        (att: 15,800)

Joost van Aken recalled for the visit of the league leaders

Although it isn't clear whether he was playing left CB, left of a back three or as sweeper/holding midfield

Whatever, he saw plenty of the ball and after soaking up some early pressure VfL broke the deadlock around the half hour mark

A second in first half injury time meant Hamburg had their work cut out against the division's tightest defence

However, they did pull one back on 64mins but rather than seeing them pile on the pressure in search of the equaliser

The game opened up and was pretty much end to end until the final whistle

Great stuff in front of a full house, and 3pts that extend VfL's unbeaten run to six games and moves them up to 7th in the table

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30th November

St Pauli  0-1  Hannover 96      (att: 29,546)

Matt Penney still out injured so missed this early relegation 6-pointer

The second Hamburg v Lower Saxony game of the weekend probably had more hanging on the result

But the team from Hanover nicked it with a goal after 7mins

St Pauli were awarded a penalty about half an hour later only for VAR to reverse the decision

Jos really needs to stop walking under ladders - and I'd also be wary of opening the club's Christmas card if I were him

• Like 1

Guest Grez Bez
4 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

30th November

St Pauli  0-1  Hannover 96      (att: 29,546)

Matt Penney still out injured so missed this early relegation 6-pointer

The second Hamburg v Lower Saxony game of the weekend probably had more hanging on the result

But the team from Hanover nicked it with a goal after 7mins

St Pauli were awarded a penalty about half an hour later only for VAR to reverse the decision

Jos really needs to stop walking under ladders - and I'd also be wary of opening the club's Christmas card if I were him

When's he back from injury? 

Has he played his last game for St Pauli?

14 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

When's he back from injury?      Dunno

Has he played his last game for St Pauli?     Doubt it *

* unless Jos gets the boot

Which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, given their precarious league position

A change in manager might see Matt recalled when his loan is reviewed around Christmas time

30th November contd.

Macclesfield  1-1  Bradford City       (att:  2,751)

oops

Macc led at half time thanks to a 32nd minute penalty, Bradford equalised with less than 20mins to go

Just before then, Connor Kirby picked up yet another yellow card

I was just thinking how close he'd be to receiving a ban when he spared me the trouble

A second yellow shown in the last minute means he'll miss the next game anyway  :mellow:

Aldershot  2-2  Chesterfield          (att:  1,637)

Another potential relegation 6-pointer

And another penalty, this time awarded to the home side in 1st half injury time

Liam Shaw kept his place in the starting XI but was subbed off right after Chezzy's 50th minute equaliser

Aldershot went ahead 20mins later but Liam's replacement earned a valuable point with a second equaliser in the 94th minute

• Thanks 2

Things seem to be getting really ugly at Macclesfield ...

"As a group we'd like to inform the EFL and Crewe Alexandra Football Club that the game on Saturday won't be taking place despite growing reports that it's business as usual," the Macclesfield players said in a statement.

Connor Kirby would have missed this game through suspension, so will that carry to the next one - Walsall (a) next weekend?

Or is that one in doubt an' all?

They're back in court a couple of days after that, to see if their winding up order will be granted

Meanwhile, our friends at the EFL are threatening them will all sorts of nasty things if the Crewe (h) game doesn't go ahead as scheduled   :mellow:

5 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Things seem to be getting really ugly at Macclesfield ...

"As a group we'd like to inform the EFL and Crewe Alexandra Football Club that the game on Saturday won't be taking place despite growing reports that it's business as usual," the Macclesfield players said in a statement.

Connor Kirby would have missed this game through suspension, so will that carry to the next one - Walsall (a) next weekend?

Or is that one in doubt an' all?

They're back in court a couple of days after that, to see if their winding up order will be granted

Meanwhile, our friends at the EFL are threatening them will all sorts of nasty things if the Crewe (h) game doesn't go ahead as scheduled   :mellow:

I can’t see how they can punish them any more than they did Bolton.....suspended points deduction.....made a right hash of all this.....big surprise

8 hours ago, Ian said:

I can’t see how they can punish them any more than they did Bolton.....suspended points deduction.....made a right hash of all this.....big surprise

Macc's best option might be to field the juniors against Crewe and hope the result isn't too embarrassing

The current ownership seem incapable of solving the wage issue, never mind surviving their latest court ruling

So who knows where things will stand two weeks from now?

I would say Connor Kirby's loan there has been a success, given the amount of game time he's been able to put in

But is it coming to a premature end?  Looks like it  :sad:

I'd hope we bring back Connor Kirby as soon as we are allowed to, being around that kind of toxic atmosphere can't be having an overly positive effect. I'll bet the fact that SWFC are (probably) paying his wages and they're actually on time isn't making him overly popular either.

19 minutes ago, Minton said:

I'd hope we bring back Connor Kirby as soon as we are allowed to, being around that kind of toxic atmosphere can't be having an overly positive effect. I'll bet the fact that SWFC are (probably) paying his wages and they're actually on time isn't making him overly popular either.

Just seems like a sad situation all round

Connor has made 23 appearances for them (all competitions) so far and might reasonably expect to add another twenty to that total

Forty-odd senior games would be hugely beneficial at this stage of his career

As I understand it, he's one of five loanees at the club and they're clearly unaffected by the ongoing wage disputes

I'm not sure the senior pros there would resent their involvement while they choose to 'strike' - Just don't know

I suppose the upcoming court decision will have a bearing on if/when his loan deal is terminated

1 hour ago, Minton said:

I'd add Liam Shaw to that as well. My mate is a Chesterfield fan and says in his first game he was near enough in tears, think they lost 5-1 to Hartlepool. 

That balance of giving them first team football vs ruining their confidence. The player's personality being a factor as well.