Chansiri

1 hour ago, Costello 77 said:

How would you fund a club in the championship in 2019?

By buying and selling across all areas of the business as efficiently as possible. 

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, ka58 said:

By buying and selling across all areas of the business as efficiently as possible. 

I agree we should have sold some players when they would have commanded top transfer fees. But realistically that's not a sustainable business model that every club in the championship can follow. How many clubs turn a profit on transfer spend in this league? I'd guess at Bristol City and Brentford.. the rest must spend more on transfers than they recoup. For it to be a sustainable model, it would need to be the case that the players sold were heading to the prem with the money then coming into the division. It's also the case that if a premier league club comes in for a championship player, they tend to leave 9 times out of 10. That suggests we probably haven't had any offers for our players from the prem.

The division as a whole is a loss making business. If Chansiri was to cut back spending such that we were close to breaking even, most of the first 11 would be leaving and any players on decent money would be gone. Then we'd lose a big chunk of ticket sales as nobody will want to watch a team of Morgan Fox's every week at top prices, and revenue would drop. Then ticket prices would be cut and we'd still be making a loss... we'd basically be back to where we were under Milan losing £6m a year and having a team that couldn't compete.

So as far as I can see, the best way forward is to continue as we are and hope to get promoted but making a few sensible tweaks like cutting squad size down, as long as Chansiri is in a position to keep footing the bill. The Jos period aside, the last 4 years have been the best time to watch Wednesday since the 90s and that's down to how much money the chairman has invested in the playing staff

16 minutes ago, ka58 said:

We wouldn't be anywhere near promotion if we become a selling team. He is gambling short term for long term strategy. Get us out of this league and in the PL then put in the long term building blocks.

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

We wouldn't be anywhere near promotion if we become a selling team. He is gambling short term for long term strategy. Get us out of this league and in the PL then put in the long term building blocks.

And we are still in the same league as we were when he took over...

Gambling short term ?

We are in the last chance saloon FFS..

Just now, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

And we are still in the same league as we were when he took over...

Gambling short term ?

We are in the last chance saloon FFS..

Why are we in the last chance saloon? He has the money he is just being allowed to spend it. The improved nature of our club rests entirely on promotion I'm afraid. We need new infrastructure, at least 2 new stands (Kop and West) and this isn't going to come to fruition without promotion

2 hours ago, NYowl said:

DC again has gambled huge amounts of money and time on this club, with potential of reaching the holly grail of the premiership and the wealth that goes with it. Imagine if we had won the play off final what a great return it would have been and again I wouldn't have denied him a single penny of any profit he made.

I wouldn't begrudge Chansiri a penny of the profit if we got promoted in 2016.
Equally I don't feel sorry for the money and time he has put into the club and lost so far, that was the risk he took.

I doubt if we went up this season he would make that much money now overall with all the loses he must have run up since he took over..
If you say he is losing £20m a season plus what he paid for the club he must have lost £100m plus so far. You wonder how he can fund this if we are not a Premier League club for the next 3-4 years which is quite likely.

I posted this earlier on the "Chansiri loves Wednesday" thread which appears to have been taken down.

I am sometimes completely amazed at what is said on Owlstalk. There is a well known saying, be careful what you wish for.

Before we had the Sheard nonsense, there was a move to boost club funds and deal with the growing financial problem by asking supporters and local people to put money into the club, which would have resulted in more people owning shares and the club continuing to be owned by mainly Sheffield people. I was involved and there was a lot of posting on Owlstalk at the time, at the same time as Billsa (and his various other names) was posting. As usual, the idea received a lot of abuse. The quite general reaction was something like " we don't want to join the current directors and lost shareholders involved as they have failed us" or "we have already ploughed money in by buying matchday tickets/season tickets for many years, we are not paying any more" or "we want a rich person to buy the club and invest plenty of  money". The ownership of a lump of shares by Wednesdayite did not actually help.

So things continued to deteriorate and in the end, most of the Sheffield people who had put their hands in their pockets (or in the case of the original shareholders, ancestors had) gave their investments to Milan Mandaric and got nothing back.

Milan sold to Dejphon who is the current owner so many of you have achieved your wish, we have a rich owner putting shed loads of money in. And yet many are still not happy and give our owner some really unreasonable and in some cases insulting criticism.

It makes me wonder, what do you want?

Edited by Andrew Robinson
mistakes

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I agree we should have sold some players when they would have commanded top transfer fees. But realistically that's not a sustainable business model that every club in the championship can follow. How many clubs turn a profit on transfer spend in this league? I'd guess at Bristol City and Brentford.. the rest must spend more on transfers than they recoup. For it to be a sustainable model, it would need to be the case that the players sold were heading to the prem with the money then coming into the division. It's also the case that if a premier league club comes in for a championship player, they tend to leave 9 times out of 10. That suggests we probably haven't had any offers for our players from the prem.

The division as a whole is a loss making business. If Chansiri was to cut back spending such that we were close to breaking even, most of the first 11 would be leaving and any players on decent money would be gone. Then we'd lose a big chunk of ticket sales as nobody will want to watch a team of Morgan Fox's every week at top prices, and revenue would drop. Then ticket prices would be cut and we'd still be making a loss... we'd basically be back to where we were under Milan losing £6m a year and having a team that couldn't compete.

So as far as I can see, the best way forward is to continue as we are and hope to get promoted but making a few sensible tweaks like cutting squad size down, as long as Chansiri is in a position to keep footing the bill. The Jos period aside, the last 4 years have been the best time to watch Wednesday since the 90s and that's down to how much money the chairman has invested in the playing staff

We live in Sheffield within an hour of Sheffield is 12 million people. 

In the last 15 years we have produce only Beevers, Wood, Spurr, Palmer that have played 100 games for us and none of the youth we produce have we made significant money selling on.

Just 2 miles away from us in S2 in the same period they have produced player after player after player and have made probably close to £60-80m in transfer fees and sell on clauses.

You want to know how we compete in this league we go and recruit the guy running the SUFC youth set up and give him complete control over running ours we give him investment and top notch facilities and in the next few years we see players coming through into the first team on reasonable wages instead of buying players on big wages who either never play or are not good enough or develop players we can sell on for big money to EPL teams.

DC has taken us from a club in midtable losing £5m a season to a club in midtable losing £20m a season, with an aging over paid, under performing squad and in the process made it that we now pay the highest prices in the league to watch a team made up largely of free agents and players that were here before DC arrived and this season has had to sell the stadium to prevent us getting a point deduction because of his financial mismanagement of our team. 

Yes he has put money in but because he hasn't made a few mistake he has made bucket loads of them and continues to do so. We pray he gets it right but we have nothing left to sell so if the only plan is promotion then the season to come are not going to be worth thinking about.

53 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

I posted this earlier on the "Chansiri loves Wednesday" thread which appears to have been taken down.

I am sometimes completely amazed at what is said on Owlstalk. There is a well known saying, be careful what you wish for.

Before we had the Sheard nonsense, there was a move to boost club funds and deal with the growing financial problem by asking supporters and local people to put money into the club, which would have resulted in more people owning shares and the club continuing to be owned by mainly Sheffield people. I was involved and there was a lot of posting on Owlstalk at the time, at the same time as Billsa (and his various other names) was posting. As usual, the idea received a lot of abuse. The quite general reaction was something like " we don't want to join the current directors and lost shareholders involved as they have failed us" or "we have already ploughed money in by buying matchday tickets/season tickets for many years, we are not paying any more" or "we want a rich person to buy the club and invest plenty of  money". The ownership of a lump of shares by Wednesdayite did not actually help.

So things continued to deteriorate and in the end, most of the Sheffield people who had put their hands in their pockets (or in the case of the original shareholders, ancestors had) gave their investments to Milan Mandaric and got nothing back.

Milan sold to Dejphon who is the current owner so many of you have achieved your wish, we have a rich owner putting shed loads of money in. And yet many are still not happy and give our owner some really unreasonable and in some cases insulting criticism.

It makes me wonder, what do you want?

There's some on here think there's a queue of Billionaires waiting in the wings to pounce as soon as DC puts us on the market. They'll only be satisfied when they've driven him away and we return to the dark days. Only then will they realise the queue of billionaires isn't really there, they'd imagined it.

I'm not saying there isn't room for criticism as DC has to be held to account somewhat but vitriol aimed at him and his family is uncalled for to say the least. 

23 minutes ago, Professor Plum said:

There's some on here think there's a queue of Billionaires waiting in the wings to pounce as soon as DC puts us on the market. They'll only be satisfied when they've driven him away and we return to the dark days. Only then will they realise the queue of billionaires isn't really there, they'd imagined it.

I'm not saying there isn't room for criticism as DC has to be held to account somewhat but vitriol aimed at him and his family is uncalled for to say the least. 

I'm at the front of the queue for this ...

Red Teapot ......

Disgraceful behaviour ....

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Ash77 said:

Like i say negative people focus on negative things.

I hesitate to give you further cause to peddle negativity but 1 question only,

Do you want a new chairman then?

If you do and are genuine, you're likely deluded as well as negative because its highly unlikely we would get a better chairman, who's never allowed to make an error, who is willing to invest/lose c20-30m/pa, whilst also being insulted by a vocal minority imo. 

Have a great life focusing on negative stuff tho! :duntmatter:

I would be really happy for Chansiri to remain as owner and Chairman IF he had the personality to really delegate all football related stuff to strong and experienced CEO / Manager / Coach etc.

I doubt Billy Bean's at Barnsley every day deciding who they buy, and McCabe let's Wilder and his CEO get on with it.

Chansiri's been badly mugged by Doyen, some players, Hirsty, Leicester, Ashley et al but fine, he can afford it.

Many fans can't /won't and that's why crowds are going down.

Also, he's had 3 years to get a new training complex and failed (not FFP - constrained). 

For most, one of our top priorities.   

Plus, you can only sell your ground once. 

20 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

I would be really happy for Chansiri to remain as owner and Chairman IF he had the personality to really delegate all football related stuff to strong and experienced CEO / Manager / Coach etc.

I doubt Billy Bean's at Barnsley every day deciding who they buy, and McCabe let's Wilder and his CEO get on with it.

Chansiri's been badly mugged by Doyen, some players, Hirsty, Leicester, Ashley et al but fine, he can afford it.

Also, he's had 3 years to get a new training complex and failed (not FFP - constrained). 

Plus, you can only sell your ground once

I suppose technically, the club could buy it back from the "separate" owners for £1 and then sell it again for £60m? I know its all financial games but then selling it to another part of the family is just that in the first place. WE don't own any part of the club anymore anyway ( we are in the same position as The Arena and Sheffield Steelers supporters, so we are simply paying customers just like US sports supporters)and Chansiri still effectively owns the club and the ground.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

I suppose technically, the club could buy it back from the "separate" owners for £1 and then sell it again for £60m? I know its all financial games but then selling it to another part of the family is just that in the first place. WE don't own any part of the club anymore anyway ( we are in the same position as The Arena and Sheffield Steelers supporters, so we are simply paying customers just like US sports supporters)and Chansiri still effectively owns the club and the ground.

Not sure about that , mate.

Even in Hong Kong a company has to be run on fiduciary basis so you have to get a market price for asset sales.

You just worry that - down the line - we could be in a Coventry situation, playing at Keepmoat or some dump.

We are so skint our vital pre - season training camps were public parks in Germany. Worrying.

5 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Near promotion may as well be 15 places off. Makes no difference whatsoever. Tha gambling has now impacted to try it again. Any club thinking they arent or dont need to be a selling club outside the top 8 or so of the premier league need to wake up in my opinion. 

45 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Plus, you can only sell your ground once. 

What utter fuckingnonsense under our chairman our season ticket sales are the highest EVER in the club's history...mind you that doesn't suit your agenda does it

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

What utter fuckingnonsense under our chairman our season ticket sales are the highest EVER in the club's history...mind you that doesn't suit your agenda does it

Is that for this season? I have no idea, not seen anything