• Reach
    • Bannan
    • Joao (88)
    • Hooper (59)
    • Boyd (74)
    • Onomah *59
    • Forestieri *74
    • Matias *88

Dawson 7 - some good saves second half, distribution mostly fine but the clean sheet is the main thing.

Iorfa 7 - very good defensive work today.

Lees 8 - thought he had an excellent game, handled Diedhou very well.

Hector 7 - solid again, distribution was quite iffy in the first half.

Lazaar 7 - a good game from him, passed it quite well and got into good positions but he’ll need two world-beating performances to get the club to consider bringing him back I suspect.

Reach 6 - some good creative moments mixed in with frustrating periods. His deliver into the box shows why he’s an asset to the team, his failure to impose himself shows why he’s not enough of an asset for the club to reject bids out of hand.

Bannan 8 - MOTM, brilliant goal and dictated our game in a very professional manner, he used the ball very well every time he got it.

Pelupessy 6 - broke up play fairly well at times but his passing was as unadventurous as ever. Hutchinson has progressed in that area, Pelupessy needs to do the same or he’s going to end up being surplus to requirements.

Boyd 6 - he was fairly neat in possession but struggled to impose himself, his lack of pace and/or physicality is starting to remind me of Stevie May.

Hooper 6 - his link up play is very good but match fitness is always the problem with him - at his physical peak he’s able to put the fear of God into defenders, at the moment he struggles to keep up.

Joao 7 - very dangerous movement in the first half and deserved his goal (great finish it was too) but he cut a frustrated figure in the second half, subbing him was the right move.

Difficult one to judge today as we tired a lot in the 2nd half. Gone for Bannan as his moments of magic made the difference. Thought Iorfa did well and Dawson made a couple of big saves at a time when Bristol would have really grown in confidence had they scored.

Bannan for me,ran the show and scored a beaut,so 9 for him.

8s for Joao who was a handfull all game,Iorfa,who improves every time I watch him.and Dawson who I thought looked solid and pulled off some decent stops,good confidence boost.

The rest id give 7s to,Im one of the few that actually likes Boyd,his movement off the ball and intelligent runs mark him out,alas as hes aged hes lost half a yard,otherwise hed be a genuine asset

Edited by legendaryswan

16 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Jack Hunt had ridiculous attacking expectations on his shoulders because of how we set up when he was here.

He was more than ok in his time with us imo.

His crossing was as per normal yesterday .......garbage 

How often do we complain about sides coming here , snatching a quick goal, or maybe a couple, then PARKING THE BUS.

That is precisely what we did on Monday. I was  sitting in the South  opposite the Penalty spot, Kop end, and came out with a crooked neck, all the play being at the Lepp end. Despite the distance between us, I think I was nearer to their GK than he was to play.

The only point of note was a shot fromm Reach, just inside the touchline, almost in line with their goal, which brought out a reflex save from their Keeper , with his right(backward) arm after the ball passed him heading for goal.and was heading for the back of the net.

2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

How often do we complain about sides coming here , snatching a quick goal, or maybe a couple, then PARKING THE BUS.

That is precisely what we did on Monday. I was  sitting in the South  opposite the Penalty spot, Kop end, and came out with a crooked neck, all the play being at the Lepp end. Despite the distance between us, I think I was nearer to their GK than he was to play.

The only point of note was a shot fromm Reach, just inside the touchline, almost in line with their goal, which brought out a reflex save from their Keeper , with his right(backward) arm after the ball passed him heading for goal.and was heading for the back of the net.

I agree with all the play being at the Lepp end in the second half. Bristol could not do anything in the area despite their possession but the ball stayed down there. Wednesday's two goals were two moments of brilliance from outside the box and they usually are unable to dominate the game in midfield and pen teams back in their half. There is a touch of grabbing a goal and then hang on. Despite the role of Bannan, with his passing ( not often that creative in fact),  midfield reinforcements who can pass and move and get the ball back are badly needed.

Dawson - 7 - Confident performance. Looked assured at all times, and made two crucial saves late on to deny Bristol a sniff. Did struggle with his kicking however. 

Iorfa - 7 - Athletic. Solid. Dominant. A all-round steady full back display. 

Lees - 7 - Dealt with Diedhiou, a strong, difficult opponent, very well on the whole. His distribution wasn't great yesterday however, too many, aimless, floaty balls into No Mans Land. 

Hector - 8 - Class. Act. Another calming, commanding display which oozed class throughout. If we don't sign him, he'll take some replacing. 

Lazaar - 7 - A performance like he produced prior to his injury. Strong and positive when defending, presses and anticipates rather than looks to contain. Constantly a good option going forward also. 

Pelupessy - 7 - Often a critic, but thought, after a slow start, he grew into the game and performed his role well. 

Bannan - 8 - Man of the Match - He produced the perfect 1st half performance. Before his goal, he looked in the mood, spraying balls from flank to flank. Absolute belter, and a sumptuous ball for Joao's goal. Dropped off a tad in the 2nd half, and struggled to have as much as an impact, due to Bristol's dominance. 

Reach - 6 - Had a decent 1st half, saw a lot of the ball, but didn't really do enough with it. Tidy performance. Nothing more. 

Boyd - 6 - Another workmanlike performance, which is what Boyd gives you. But offensively, he does limit us somewhat. 

Hooper - 6 - Thought he struggled for parts of the game, but then showed his quality in brief moments. Could/should have done better with the chance early on following Lee's header back across goal. Assist for Bannan's goal also.

Joao - 7 - It was one of those games he decided to turn up for. Despite us going fairly direct at times to him, he competing well. Stretched the play and gave Bristol's centre halves a problem when looking to run in behind (his goal a prime example). Took his goal superbly. 

Onomah - 6 - Agreed with his introduction, Hooper was becoming anonymous and Bristol were dominating the midfield. Helped shore things up, and allowed us to break on a couple of occasions. 

Forestieri - 6 - Glimpses of quality, but seemed obsessed with playing as a left back. He was clearly instructed to help out defensively, but he was playing behind Lazaar at some points!

Matias - N/A

Overall....

Bristol perhaps a tad unfortunate to not take anything from the game. We were exceptionally clinical, and Bristol weren't. Had they taken their chances (two glorious ones), the result could've been different. That said, Bruce has made us proud to keep a clean sheet, and the whole team worked tremendously hard to make it happen...right from the goalkeeper to the centre forward. 

We played some good football in the 1st half, but also had to defend well against a dangerous Bristol side. 2nd half was attritional, and ensuring Bristol didn't find a way back into the game. Good attributes to make habits.  

That said, if we keep that back four next season...we'll continue to be a tough nut to crack. It's full of athleticism, strength, pace, and good technical ability. Unfortunately, I fear Hector and Lazaar may well be financially beyond us.

• Thanks 1

I thought Hector was superb, but has to be Bannon as MOTM, scoring a screamer and creating the other.

Some of our fans are going to need to get a reality check.  Lots around me were really moaning that we didn't go for the jugular in the 2nd half, and really moaned when Hooper was replaced by Onomah as they wanted Fessi on as a 2nd forward.  Bruce won't do that, he will defend a lead rather than going chasing another goal, especially against a dangerous team higher in the league than us..  

I am amazed that we have a winger on one side who runs everywhere, except when he has the ball, or there is a huge gap on his side of the pitch and a winger on the other side who has been playing for weeks with a damaged Achilles and a knee injury, yet still manages to play as well as anybody else on the pitch. Hopefully, we will have realistic competition for the wide positions next season.

I would give Tom Lees, Reach, Bannan and Iorfa my top score of 8 out of ten, for doing a lot right and hardly making a mistake all match.

Captain fantastic Tom just pipped everyone for me and was exceptional, effortlessly and unfussily making so many important tackles and blocks, while also covering for the mistakes made by the more eye catching Hector, who also had a very good game, but needs a perfectionist like Lees covering his back. A really good solid defensive display and led by example, his covering work allowed Iorfa to get forward so much, which gave us more threat down the wing, right up to the opposition's area.

Reach just lacked a better touch and a bit more pace a couple of times for him to get my MOTM, but it was close.

Bannan scored a great goal and played some amazing balls, but just missed out for me for being out of position too often, messing about in dangerous areas, playing several very loose balls to put team mates in trouble and getting in the way several times when he seemed to be trying a bit too hard to impress somebody or maybe score a goal for somebody watching? 

Iorfa had a fantastic game, with his captain's support and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet yet again!

A lot of good performances with everybody doing good things and bad things throughout the game.