The Refusal by Sheffield Wednesday to accept Legal Tender.

2 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

There are some cities now in China completely cashless, mobile wallet, Wechat, Alipay etc.

Some reight toothless old Chinese grannies managing it am sure a few Wednesday old timers can ;)

Another country that likes to keep a beady eye on their population.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

WHICH MAGAZINE.

No idea

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

I do electronic repairs as a sideline.

I also build small machines.

I won't go into how.. for obvious reasons.. but I've seen a schematic for a "reader" that any enthusiastic hobbyist could make. 

Last week I cracked my main card and the contactless feature wouldn't work.. when I got my new one.. I dismantled the old one and had a look....the schematic would work with what I saw there.

Dont doubt that. Surely only half the job though if you want to nick money via contactless i.e act as the retailer rather than clone/skim in order to act as a consumer?

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

No idea

Dont doubt that. Surely only half the job though if you want to nick money via contactless i.e act as the retailer rather than clone/skim in order to act as a consumer?

The security protocols are vastly different...if I understand you correctly?

2 hours ago, dorian gray said:

I heard last week of (let's call them fellow europeans) with mobile cashless card readers on them 'working' heavily crowded area's, buses, trams, london underground, big city shopping area's, the likes of meadowhall etc. taking just £10 or £20 off everyone they could 'contact', can you imagine how much they could end up with by the end of the day?

How come the British criminals haven't got this technology? This country is going down the pan.

• Haha 2

To help the OP out.

From the Bank of England:

What does legal tender mean?

You might have heard someone in a shop say: “But it’s legal tender!”. Most people think it means the shop has to accept the payment form. But that’s not the case. 

A shop owner can choose what payment they accept. If you want to pay for a pack of gum with a £50 note, it’s perfectly legal to turn you down. Likewise for all other banknotes, it’s a matter of discretion.

Legal tender has a narrow technical meaning which has no use in everyday life. It means that if you offer to fully pay off a debt to someone in legal tender, they can’t sue you for failing to repay.

• Thanks 1

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

3 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Track is the wrong word I used.

It’s more down to I know what I’ve spent when I’m out. Say I take out £100 I know what I have and haven’t spent and am prepared to spend. Pay on card and I might go well over that amount without realising. 

So to say maybe I feel more in control of what I’m spending when it’s cash.

I also don’t like checking my online banking because it’s jusy depressing.

Does that make sense

Yeah. You’re saying it’s easier to be disciplined with your spending.

I guess we can rule out you being DC then. 

19 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

It must make financial sense in a costs/benefits analysis.....

No mistakes on the tills, no thieving, quicker, security guards etc etc plus there is all the info re. buying patterns etc which is gold dust to anyone selling BUT....

Any fraud, and there's a lot, is between the customer and the bank and is "worth" the above as a retailer.

Can't we just go back to bartering.  Would be much easier all round.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Can't we just go back to bartering.  Would be much easier all round.

"Money" is a receipt for barter.

It has no value without the signature of the guarantor.

That's why I've got a kettle and an air fryer made of solid gold.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

"Money" is a receipt for barter.

It has no value without the signature of the guarantor.

That's why I've got a kettle and an air fryer made of solid gold.

I have a neighbour who keeps chickens . Maybe i can steal a couple on a matchday ,and exchange them for a Bovril and a Horse Pie ? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I'm nonplussed to steam coming out of my ears, can you believe they don't accept cheques anymore either?  I'm looking for food outlets in Hillsborough where they accept cheques.

Good luck to you if can find one. :tango:

50 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

It must make financial sense in a costs/benefits analysis.....

No mistakes on the tills, no thieving, quicker, security guards etc etc plus there is all the info re. buying patterns etc which is gold dust to anyone selling BUT....

Any fraud, and there's a lot, is between the customer and the bank and is "worth" the above as a retailer.

so any feedback relating to such robbery's from individuals are suppressed so as not to rock the boat.