The Refusal by Sheffield Wednesday to accept Legal Tender.

40 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

I have been supporting Sheffield Wednesday since I was a small boy in the late sixties.

In that time, I must have spent Thousands of pounds on Food and Drink inside the ground.

To me, a drink of Tea, Coffee or possibly Bovril and a pie, and an occasional Pint is part of what is often called the "Match day Experience".

That spending, inside the Ground, has now, sadly, come to an end.

It would appear that every kiosk in the North Stand has gone "Cashless".

The club are now Refusing to Accept Cash payments.(LEGAL TENDER)

I will not be "told how to pay" by the club. 

I will, of course, continue to purchase food and drink on match days, all of it OUTSIDE THE GROUND......

The end of cash is not far away and I for one don't see it as a good thing.

It may be more convenient but everything I spend is now monitored and logged by the banks. 

Banks and credit agencies have complete control over our lives. Without a bank account you will cease to exist  exist financially. 

As governments become more authoritarian (which is the way things are heading ) it becomes easier and easier to control people through their access to money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, cjtowl1972 said:

The 'cashless' tills are an utter joke.

Went for a drink on the Kop at half time (intending to pay by card).

A queue of about 20 in front of me.

10 minutes later, about 15 in queue in front of me.

The 'cashless tills idea obviously not working, as slower than cash tills.

They’re not slower though are they? That’s sort of impossible. The speed of the staff might still be poor but cashless can only be quicker. 

10 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Must admit it's easier to not carry cash.

It's more hygienic 

Money can contain loads of harmful germs 

I wash all of mine before use..

I've been money laundering for years..

You're right

I once caught a disease off a 10 dollar

Hooker lol

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Beholder said:

The end of cash is not far away and I for one don't see it as a good thing.

It may be more convenient but everything I spend is now monitored and logged by the banks. 

Banks and credit agencies have complete control over our lives. Without a bank account you will cease to exist  exist financially. 

As governments become more authoritarian (which is the way things are heading ) it becomes easier and easier to control people through their access to money. 

Many people will be Happy to be Microchipped too - 

After all.....

"It's Easier"         

And

"That's the way things are going"

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Spencerowl said:

Serious question, and respect your choices but why? 

Contactless payments are quicker, and let’s face it our facilities for catering are hardly quick at the best of times. 

On on another note I find it baffling why food isn’t pre cooked a lot more, out of stock and cooking it at half time seems strange and the lines take so long. They had one bottle opener between 4 staff yesterday - I mean really? 

However the payment thing is just how it’s going across the board isn’t it? 

See what you did there.

Problem with contactless, there was no receipt given, when I asked for one, was told they had no roll, asked for proof how much I had paid, lady put in a code and showed me how much I would be paying for said item, I said, " but that is for a new order" she said " yes, but it's what you paid", "show me the proof" I said, she couldn't.

So is it all down to trust that they don't put in the wrong details?

If they are going down this road, then at least make it professional.

Edited by daleblue
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Pros and cons for both.

In theory card payments should be much quicker. Prevent human error with change etc. Also can stop employees pocketing a little on the side if they were that way inclined.

Downside is some people now won’t buy anything. It’s seemingly going slower. I’m relatively young and I prefer cash, I like to easily track what I’m spending and don’t like paying for small things on my card.

It’s a shame some of the kiosks are run so poorly. I was a supervisor on one for a season or two from 15-17. Couldn’t have been easier. Get there on time/early. Turn everything on. Stock up drinks first so they are actually cold. Cook the more popular things first and keep them hot, label everything up and certain things in same place, makes serving quicker. Track what you actually sell so you have enough stock for following games. Couldn’t have been an easier job. Never ran out, hardly any waste and surprisingly hardly any complaints. It’s easy and all about common sense. Somebody mentioned about 1 bottle opener, I get next match it’s still just 1 between 4.

You know it’s easier to track what you spend with your card, right?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

It's the way our society is heading now

Don't cater for us dodgy old f*****s any more

lol

it's all racing towards being 'robbed' by someone from north korea, iran, or moldova.

just as well some have **** all to lose in the first place.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Owlin' Wolf said:

They’re not slower though are they? That’s sort of impossible. The speed of the staff might still be poor but cashless can only be quicker. 

I take it you weren’t on the kop yesterday? The bars on the kop are a joke. I gave up trying to get a beer at half time yesterday, stood there for 10 minutes and the queue had barely moved

Guest The Horse
5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

You know it’s easier to track what you spend with your card, right?

Exactly.
To pay for a cup of coffee by cash, you'd have to withdraw a £10 note at minimum from a cash machine.
The change soon goes walk about as it's in your 'match' coat pockets that gets hung up and forgot about or goes down the sofa.
That's an expensive coffee.

Pay by card, you only pay for the coffee and you can track that easily in your account.

We have safe, secure and easy to use contactless payments these days. Vast majority of event venues will be cashless in the next few years. Use of cash is on a rapid decline, independant ATM companies are beginning to feel the affect. 

People need to get with the times.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, np pontefract said:

I have been supporting Sheffield Wednesday since I was a small boy in the late sixties.

In that time, I must have spent Thousands of pounds on Food and Drink inside the ground.

To me, a drink of Tea, Coffee or possibly Bovril and a pie, and an occasional Pint is part of what is often called the "Match day Experience".

That spending, inside the Ground, has now, sadly, come to an end.

It would appear that every kiosk in the North Stand has gone "Cashless".

The club are now Refusing to Accept Cash payments.(LEGAL TENDER)

I will not be "told how to pay" by the club. 

I will, of course, continue to purchase food and drink on match days, all of it OUTSIDE THE GROUND......

Can tell your old, did you go this mad when Asda banned cheques :duntmatter:

3 minutes ago, The Horse said:

Exactly.
To pay for a cup of coffee by cash, you'd have to withdraw a £10 note at minimum from a cash machine.
The change soon goes walk about as it's in your 'match' coat pockets that gets hung up and forgot about or goes down the sofa.
That's an expensive coffee.

Pay by card, you only pay for the coffee and you can track that easily in your account.

how's it get from your once a week (at best) coat, to the back of the sofa? have you nowhere to hang it up?

'oh! f***, where have I put my card?, never mind i'll get my other card, ooops!' 

where have I put my tenner?, never mind i'll get another out, sorted'

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

We have safe, secure and easy to use contactless payments these days. Vast majority of event venues will be cashless in the next few years. Use of cash is on a rapid decline, independant ATM companies are beginning to feel the affect. 

People need to get with the times.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! SAFE???

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

A sign of the times I'm afraid.

Soon their will be no cash transactions any where, of course it is for the consumers benefit.

The consumer? No mate, the government. No black money or illegal salaries and no cash drug deals.

Guest Hirst1867

Bloke in front of me on Kop other week ordered 3 hot drinks, 2 pies and about 4 chocolate bars. Waved £20 at them when they told him how much and when they said it was cashless walked away as he didnt have his card with him

I was thinking £20 wouldnt have been enough anyway