The Refusal by Sheffield Wednesday to accept Legal Tender.

2 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Everything is moving in that direction, the new Spurs stadium is also cashless. 

I heard last week of (let's call them fellow europeans) with mobile cashless card readers on them 'working' heavily crowded area's, buses, trams, london underground, big city shopping area's, the likes of meadowhall etc. taking just £10 or £20 off everyone they could 'contact', can you imagine how much they could end up with by the end of the day?

2 hours ago, np pontefract said:

I have been supporting Sheffield Wednesday since I was a small boy in the late sixties.

In that time, I must have spent Thousands of pounds on Food and Drink inside the ground.

To me, a drink of Tea, Coffee or possibly Bovril and a pie, and an occasional Pint is part of what is often called the "Match day Experience".

That spending, inside the Ground, has now, sadly, come to an end.

It would appear that every kiosk in the North Stand has gone "Cashless".

The club are now Refusing to Accept Cash payments.(LEGAL TENDER)

I will not be "told how to pay" by the club. 

I will, of course, continue to purchase food and drink on match days, all of it OUTSIDE THE GROUND......

My answer us don't spend money in the ground. I don't because everything is a rip off.

2 hours ago, np pontefract said:

I have been supporting Sheffield Wednesday since I was a small boy in the late sixties.

In that time, I must have spent Thousands of pounds on Food and Drink inside the ground.

To me, a drink of Tea, Coffee or possibly Bovril and a pie, and an occasional Pint is part of what is often called the "Match day Experience".

That spending, inside the Ground, has now, sadly, come to an end.

It would appear that every kiosk in the North Stand has gone "Cashless".

The club are now Refusing to Accept Cash payments.(LEGAL TENDER)

I will not be "told how to pay" by the club. 

I will, of course, continue to purchase food and drink on match days, all of it OUTSIDE THE GROUND......

Have you got the internet in Pontefract yet or are you in a cyber cafe within civilisation? 

Edited by Colinwestzicoest
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John O'Brien said:

I went to the Amsterdam Arena a few years back to watch Celtic in the CL against Ajax and if you wanted grub or a drink you had to purchase a pre paid swipe card from the boothes outside the ground. The lowest was £10, highest £50 and if you didn’t use it all there was no refund.

Good god man, delete this post immediately..!

:Chansiri::Chansiri::Chansiri:

• Haha 1

The only people moaning about this are all the old farts who can't get with the times, the same old farts that can't work self checkouts in the supermarkets. I actually never carry a penny in cash with me anywhere, everything is done by card and its far safer in the bank than in your wallet. 

The sooner the old farts die off the better really. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

The only people moaning about this are all the old farts who can't get with the times, the same old farts that can't work self checkouts in the supermarkets. I actually never carry a penny in cash with me anywhere, everything is done by card and its far safer in the bank than in your wallet. 

Agreed but closing statement is tad extreme!

4 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Once the old farts die off the club will lose a fortune in sales of Worthers Originals. 

• Haha 1

Cashless is a good idea IMO, in theory it’s much quicker.

The problem is, I’m afraid, that the staff appear to have no effective supervision at all, and don’t know the names, prices and availability of the 7 or 8 things they sell.

Lost count of how many times I’ve tried to get a hot drink on a freezing night at the stroke of half time, and left empty-handed when 2nd half starts having moved about halfway along a 20-person queue.

Literally ANY question the servers are asked about products or pricing involves them going off down the other end of the kiosk to ‘check’. There’s always one person stood next to each active server doing absolutely nothing physically, but not in any way supervising or advising either. There’s no workflow of any kind; each server does the entire interaction, from taking the order to checking it’s available, to dishing it up to taking the payment, themselves - for every single customer. Getting a cup of tea takes at least three minutes. That’s five people served per hatch, per half time.

It’s absolutely INSANE how badly run it is.

I don't understand why people moan about the people working behind the kiosks, what do you expect when you employ monkeys and pay them peanuts, these are usually kids who have barely left school yet, their mums still buy their trousers. Unless you need a beer there's no reason to buy anything anyway, if you can't go 90 minutes with scoffing your fat face on an overpriced mars bar then you need to see a doctor. 

• Haha 1

For businesses it’s cheaper and more secure. They don’t have to pay for security firms to remove cash from the site. They also don’t have to worry about staff errors with charging, and also staff putting their hands in the till.

This stuff about people “scanning” your card is a little bit of scaremongering. For someone to get money from your card using a contactless payment they wound need

1)a pos terminal, or something that emulates a terminal

2) a retail / merchant account with a bank that is linked to the pos device 

To get the above you have to go through checks. And when the account is up and running, the bank is monitoring for suspicious activity, especially in the early days. 

You can’t just go to shop, buy a terminal and then start walking down the street scanning people’s cards in their pocket. It doesn’t happen.  

Don’t get me wrong, there are risks. Someone could steal your card and go on a spending frenzy - one mitigating factor is the fact there is a floor limit of 30 quid. Banks are also supposed to be safeguards in place to limit the number of contactless payments made in a certain amount of time - in this scenario the card starts to ask for a pin. 

There’s more reported cases about card skimming using ATMs than people scanning contactless cards.

All said and done though, the onous is on the banks to protect their customers money, and they will refund fraudulent transactions. 

Edited by bigdan2003