The Refusal by Sheffield Wednesday to accept Legal Tender.

24 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I heard last week of (let's call them fellow europeans) with mobile cashless card readers on them 'working' heavily crowded area's, buses, trams, london underground, big city shopping area's, the likes of meadowhall etc. taking just £10 or £20 off everyone they could 'contact', can you imagine how much they could end up with by the end of the day?

How do they get a retail contactless account without going through the security checks and giving over details?

Sounds like a reyt scam that

5 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

For businesses it’s cheaper and more secure. They don’t have to pay for security firms to remove cash from the site. They also don’t have to worry about staff errors with charging, and also staff putting their hands in the till.

This stuff about people “scanning” your card is a little bit of scaremongering. For someone to get money from your card using a contactless payment they wound need

1)a pos terminal, or something that emulates a terminal

2) a retail / merchant account with a bank that is linked to the pos device 

To get the above you have to go through checks. And when the account is up and running, the bank is monitoring for suspicious activity, especially in the early days. 

You can’t just go to shop, buy a terminal and then start walking down the street scanning people’s cards in their pocket. It doesn’t happen.  

Don’t get me wrong, there are risks. Someone could steal your card and go on a spending frenzy - one mitigating factor is the fact there is a floor limit of 30 quid. Banks are also supposed to be safeguards in place to limit the number of contactless payments made in a certain amount of time - in this scenario the card starts to ask for a pin. 

There’s more reported cases about card skimming using ATMs than people scanning contactless cards.

All said and done though, the onous is on the banks to protect their customers money, and they will refund fraudulent transactions. 

'the stuff about people scanning your card' isn't scaremongering, it's happening in the uk now, and with atm scamming it's very big business in certain parts of europe along with prostitution and drug dealing.

banks have been know to refuse to 'refund' people who have been scammed, looking for loopholes and excuses to allow them to wriggle out of repayments, with people having to seek support in the hope of regaining their money.

with 2018 pre Christmas attacks on uk banks by iran, 10,000 data records being stolen from parliament by Christ only knows who,  numerous US banking institutions, and the nhs being attacked what makes you think the bloke or woman in the street is safe, if the big boys can't keep it out?

• Haha 1

Just now, dorian gray said:

'the stuff about people scanning your card' isn't scaremongering, it's happening in the uk now, and with atm scamming it's very big business in certain parts of europe along with prostitution and drug dealing.

banks have been know to refuse to 'refund' people who have been scammed, looking for loopholes and excuses to allow them to wriggle out of repayments, with people having to seek support in the hope of regaining their money.

with 2018 pre Christmas attacks on uk banks by iran, 10,000 data records being stolen from parliament by Christ only knows who,  numerous US banking institutions, and the nhs being attacked what makes you think the bloke or woman in the street is safe, if the big boys can't keep it out?

It's scaremongering ffs, bet you read it in the sun.

15 minutes ago, Sonny said:

If you’re worried about this scam that isn’t actually true then just keep your card next to another one, like most people, or any metal object and it won’t work.

it is true, and you can buy a shield for your wallet or purse to allegedly protect from it, providing you don't just carry it loose on you.

it's quite staggering that people in this country think that some 'ragarsed' system we have here is immune from being robbed when we can't keep the nhs, parliament, and UK banking safe.

11 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

It isn't scaremongering re. cloning of cards on contactless payments - got done  twice and it's very common but they don't like to say so.

IT'S QIUTE SIMPLE, if you think everything is hunky dory, then carry on, IF HOWEVER you think you might just need to be more savvy and know more about this, then get googling, it's all there, WHICH are saying you should wrap your card in foil, but obviously it doesn't protect it whilst you're making payments.

It's why these folks are making a fortune

https://secrid.com/en-global/

and same problems with car keys too but that takes more expensive gear for a bigger prize.  

Your card can be got at with a phone app and the aim is as many small transactions as possible before discovery for items that are easy to sell on - in my case mainly train/metro tickets.

3 hours ago, cjtowl1972 said:

The 'cashless' tills are an utter joke.

Went for a drink on the Kop at half time (intending to pay by card).

A queue of about 20 in front of me.

10 minutes later, about 15 in queue in front of me.

The 'cashless tills idea obviously not working, as slower than cash tills.

It's not slower though is it, you have paid and done by the time the pint is half poured.

What is slowing things down is the abysmal service and lack of planning -  2 members of staff on the bar in the Grandstand yesterday, they knew it was going to be a big crowd FFS.

22 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

IT'S QIUTE SIMPLE, if you think everything is hunky dory, then carry on, IF HOWEVER you think you might just need to be more savvy and know more about this, then get googling, it's all there, WHICH are saying you should wrap your card in foil, but obviously it doesn't protect it whilst you're making payments.

I had my doubts about two dodgy characters behind me at Lidl.. I put the card in and used my pin.

I don't take my card to games I wouldn't want to lose it , I have cash they don't want it ,I wonder how much this is costing the club? - minus the costs of collecting the money? I think its very poorly run with more staff and accepting cash im sure they could make 1000s more per game. 

45 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

It isn't scaremongering re. cloning of cards on contactless payments - got done  twice and it's very common but they don't like to say so.

Fair enough, we were on about people just taking payments by holding a machine next to you in Meadowhall though. Don’t doubt people clone cards.

The whole of the catering service at the ground, from the quality and choice of food and drink to the service is very poor and needs a radical rethink. However, the contactless option is quicker for payment and cuts out possible fraud by staff.

If the OP feels strongly about it just don't use it....but why put it on a forum as yet another negative stick to beat the club with.:dry:

4 hours ago, cjtowl1972 said:

The 'cashless' tills are an utter joke.

Went for a drink on the Kop at half time (intending to pay by card).

A queue of about 20 in front of me.

10 minutes later, about 15 in queue in front of me.

The 'cashless tills idea obviously not working, as slower than cash tills.

I don't think its the tills.. .Its the brain cells operating them .

The Kop kiosk is beyond ridicule... How can it take 5 minutes to push a hot water button into 4 cups of pre-made drink ?

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Fair enough, we were on about people just taking payments by holding a machine next to you in Meadowhall though. Don’t doubt people clone cards.

I do electronic repairs as a sideline.

I also build small machines.

I won't go into how.. for obvious reasons.. but I've seen a schematic for a "reader" that any enthusiastic hobbyist could make. 

Last week I cracked my main card and the contactless feature wouldn't work.. when I got my new one.. I dismantled the old one and had a look....the schematic would work with what I saw there.

4 hours ago, np pontefract said:

I have been supporting Sheffield Wednesday since I was a small boy in the late sixties.

In that time, I must have spent Thousands of pounds on Food and Drink inside the ground.

To me, a drink of Tea, Coffee or possibly Bovril and a pie, and an occasional Pint is part of what is often called the "Match day Experience".

That spending, inside the Ground, has now, sadly, come to an end.

It would appear that every kiosk in the North Stand has gone "Cashless".

The club are now Refusing to Accept Cash payments.(LEGAL TENDER)

I will not be "told how to pay" by the club. 

I will, of course, continue to purchase food and drink on match days, all of it OUTSIDE THE GROUND......

There are some cities now in China completely cashless, mobile wallet, Wechat, Alipay etc.

Some reight toothless old Chinese grannies managing it am sure a few Wednesday old timers can ;)

It must make financial sense in a costs/benefits analysis.....

No mistakes on the tills, no thieving, quicker, security guards etc etc plus there is all the info re. buying patterns etc which is gold dust to anyone selling BUT....

Any fraud, and there's a lot, is between the customer and the bank and is "worth" the above as a retailer.