Wednesday, Villa, Derby all facing sanctions

The EFL won’t do jack as they know as soon as they do something that hurts the competition - ie something that affects relegation or promotion - they’ll be taken to court and probably lose, hence the brum points reduction which does nothing but cost them money for coming a few places lower than they would have done. 

I'm not concerned about a points deduction, another pathetic embargo imposed by the clowns at the EFL would do more damage. 

I dont think the EFL are fit for purpose and this stupid FFP/P&S system fundamentally flawed. Any system that seeks to restrict clubs with money spending, while making competitiveness untenable otherwise by being complicit in inflating costs, due to acceptance and light governance of parachute payments is ridiculous.

To emphasise my point, us, Birmingham where stopped from signing players, while the EFL gladly ratified Bolton signing 18+ players last summer even though the financial problems were evident, players not paid and a pre season game cancelled.

15 minutes ago, striker said:

I'm not concerned about a points deduction, another pathetic embargo imposed by the clowns at the EFL would do more damage. 

I dont think the EFL are fit for purpose and this stupid FFP/P&S system fundamentally flawed. Any system that seeks to restrict clubs with money spending, while making competitiveness untenable otherwise by being complicit in inflating costs, due to acceptance and light governance of parachute payments is ridiculous.

To emphasise my point, us, Birmingham where stopped from signing players, while the EFL gladly ratified Bolton signing 18+ players last summer even though the financial problems were evident, players not paid and a pre season game cancelled.

Bolton also released or sold 19 players, so that's a moot point. Their financial difficulties aren't from spending in the transfer market, they haven't paid a fee for a player since 2014. If these players signed were on much lower wages than the players released, it would make financial sense and they need to be allowed to sign enough players to fill the squad.

Birmingham were placed under an embargo (which they also chose to ignore) and made promises to the P&S folk which they did not keep (telling them that they had £8.4m of player sales lined up when they had no such thing is a big one).

Whereas Derby and ourselves have made a big point of reducing transfer fees, selling players (Derby more so), reducing overheads and attempting to increase revenue, along with having more than 8 high earning players set for release. Villa have more or less tread water in these respects and will be in real trouble next season when their parachute payments end.

The EFL doesn't have a say in parachute payments either, that is a system brought in by the Premier League and as they are two separate bodies, can do nothing to stop it.

Edited by Minton
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, striker said:

The P & S system was introduced to stop rich clubs buying promotion and if it's implemented it would help smaller clubs compete. The fact that we are one of the richer clubs is why our fans are getting upset.

I can see the sense in P & S, it will take a few years to bed in but once it does clubs will not try and overspend and things will settle down. I'm totally against parachute payments because that does distort fair competition..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, prowl said:

The P & S system was introduced to stop rich clubs buying promotion

It wasn't. It was to stop clubs spending beyond their means over an extended period of time causing financial problems for the future of the club. Hence what P&S stands for.

You can argue it's doesn't work in its current form, but it wasn't brought in to try and slap down rich clubs in the way you make out.

9 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

The story is repeated by several others 

Doesn't change the fact that this article is 100% supposition and dot-joining, written as if it's already happened. We're not currently 'facing' anything at all, other than a need for caution and careful management. We'll see what happens in future, and yes it might become accurate in time. But it isn't now, that's my grumble.

1 hour ago, folger said:

Why don't we just spunk 50m on players then take the 9 points?

Because what they do there say we set going up automatically they would block it and if we were in playoffs they just take the points off ya to put us out the playoffs 

3 hours ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Changes need to be made to this mess.

Total joke that clubs like Man City continue to spend what they like without being penalised or getting tiny fines.

And clubs such as Wednesday have to compete with parachute payment clubs.

Many have cheated recently and also received only small punishments.

Pathetic English Football League!

the true fact is that English championship football is a 'handicapped' competition, and should be continuously advertised as such, and referred to as such, to embarrass the fl into action. Is it in anyway in breach of 'fair competition' rulings? 

instead of 'rewarding' the relegated sides with bucket loads of 'dirty' cash, then what about giving them 3 penalties start at the beginning of a home game, 2 for an away game, and 15 points start in the division, and let their manager referee the game?that might just about be fairer.

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The thing is they can’t dock points from all three clubs. 

they should dock us 8 points...

and then pay us £150m for the fuckingparachute money we didn't get, that very, VERY NEARLY SHUT THIS CLUB DOWN.

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

If it meant we could start next season with no sanctions with FFP I would take a 9 point deduction this season. 

Rolling accounts. It's not 3 years then start again. Brum will be under an embargo next season and every season they continue to be in breach of the loss cap.

Edited by Minton

3 hours ago, Quist said:

In theory they could dock points from all the clubs. If they dock from one have to do it to others who fall into same trap.

I think if Birmingham had not bought a player they would not have been referred to commission for punishment. If we had ignored embargo advice we too would have been referred. 

We bought Iorfa?? 

That said though we had no problems from the efl afterwards. 

I was reading something the other day that said Birmingham ignored the embargo and signed that left back. 

The league refused to allow them to register the player, but after a court case by the players representatives which they lost the EFL allowed him to be registered and play. 

This is one of the reasons I think we'll be OK as long as we've agreed that welet those out of contract at the end of season go,thus elevating FFP costs due to clearing some high wages off the books. 

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

We bought Iorfa?? 

That said though we had no problems from the efl afterwards. 

I was reading something the other day that said Birmingham ignored the embargo and signed that left back.

We weren't technically under embargo then, we just didn't have any wiggle room financially. But we did get a little windfall from Chelsea game, which will have largely covered Iorfa's initial fee. His wages we'll be looking to offset against a significant overall reduction next season.

Birmingham's continued dealings re: that particular player was a pretty brazen mick-take from what I can gather. Not surprised EFL were riled.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1