Planning Application Made For Wednesdayite Car Park

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Its a massive loss , especially to the disabled supporters who use that car park on matchday . 

Yep. I broke my ankle over New year so my pal has been driving me to matches and parking there so I could get to the ground. Normally I park up by Sainsburys and there's no way I'd have been able to walk that distance. 

Guest Manwithastick

I have absolutely no clue where Middlewood Road or Wadsley Lane are. I am from Anston. Have lived in Anston or Todwick (or Newcastle for uni) all 

my life. I know How to get from my house to Sheffield Wednesday via the Parkway, Derek Dooley Way(?) and Penistone Road. I now know how to 

turn right in front of the top, then left, then left again back to the Wednesdayite carpark. Years ago,pre W'ite, I would park at the greyhound stadium. That 

ended when fuckface sued our supporters. As a kid we came to the game via the local supporters club bus which dropped us on Penistone. I'm also aware of 

Niagra sports as we used to use the Wednesdayite family bar, but I've no idea what that road is called. 

The reality is, many folk live away from S6 (or from Sheffield city centre) and don't know the area very well or at all.

6 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

It's easy done as you say, some people just deny it's possible without giving it some forethought.

i've parked up there a few times in desperation but disagree that it's easy  and one match i'd obviously parked in someone's place on the street mind and they'd tipped a bin contents on the car   

2 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

I have absolutely no clue where Middlewood Road or Wadsley Lane are. I am from Anston. Have lived in Anston or Todwick (or Newcastle for uni) all 

my life. I know How to get from my house to Sheffield Wednesday via the Parkway, Derek Dooley Way(?) and Penistone Road. I now know how to 

turn right in front of the top, then left, then left again back to the Wednesdayite carpark. Years ago,pre W'ite, I would park at the greyhound stadium. That 

ended when fuckface sued our supporters. As a kid we came to the game via the local supporters club bus which dropped us on Penistone. I'm also aware of 

Niagra sports as we used to use the Wednesdayite family bar, but I've no idea what that road is called. 

The reality is, many folk live away from S6 (or from Sheffield city centre) and don't know the area very well or at all.

wadsley the road that goes up past the park hotel Jim

7 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

And you cant think your way round the problem of not knowing where a road is?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Heard this rumour about Wednesday getting it since before the Lee Strafford days, it's never happened though, with the bridge over the Don to the training ground.

Think it's all been made up to be honest.

Edit:  I think I heard this from you once personally also at a Fans Forum or some other get together of fans during the time before Mandaric arrived.

entirely possible all sorts of rumours around at that time 

29 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

1. If you can use owlstalk you can probably use google maps.

2.  Find a road near the ground that is within your walking distance.

3. Go to street view and look for any parking restriction signs.

4. Pick a house number and get a post code.

5. Bang it in a sat nav and navigate.

I do this for away game parking and it works everytime.

Guest Manwithastick
14 minutes ago, the monk said:

And you cant think your way round the problem of not knowing where a road is?

Well yes, of course I can. The point I'm trying to make is folk saying there's loads of places to park. I wouldn't have the first clue where to start. All I know about the

streets near to the stadium are:

Penistone Road - no parking

The road near the Lexus garage - parked there once. Too far these days on my meds. 

A road near the Crown pub - parked there with a pal who gave us a lift. He got a ticket. 

The road that runs down to the kop - looks like double yellows and cones as far up as where we turn left to come back down to the junction (that used to be a

roundabout) 

That road - seems to be all cars on the pavement - I assume these are the ones that folk sometimes complain about getting tickets? Not surprised as there's always 

folk walking  in the road, including old folk, people with buggies etc. They even park in the bus stop.

The road the Chinese chippy is on (Vere?) - appears to be residents only? and obviously we wouldn't be able to park this close at 2.30-2.40.

Tim mentions The Park Hotel - I recall going in there for a couple of W'ite meetings I think. If I'm correct that's on the Leppings Lane side of the ground? If I recall

correctly I was  able to park at SWFC for those meetings. 

In my early 20's I did go to games with some local S6 lads - we drank in a huge pub in Hillsborough and I would park in their carpark. I noticed it has been demolished 

when I recently visited our store in Hillsborough (parked on the roof of a shopping precinct after following sat nav).

Perhaps some decent suggestions for someone coming from the SE of the city via the parkway/penistone road that's within 10 minutes stroll(heart condition means BP is usually 170/120) and available with 30 minutes to k.o?

11 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

Well yes, of course I can. The point I'm trying to make is folk saying there's loads of places to park. I wouldn't have the first clue where to start. All I know about the

streets near to the stadium are:

Penistone Road - no parking

The road near the Lexus garage - parked there once. Too far these days on my meds. 

A road near the Crown pub - parked there with a pal who gave us a lift. He got a ticket. 

The road that runs down to the kop - looks like double yellows and cones as far up as where we turn left to come back down to the junction (that used to be a

roundabout) 

That road - seems to be all cars on the pavement - I assume these are the ones that folk sometimes complain about getting tickets? Not surprised as there's always 

folk walking  in the road, including old folk, people with buggies etc. They even park in the bus stop.

The road the Chinese chippy is on (Vere?) - appears to be residents only? and obviously we wouldn't be able to park this close at 2.30-2.40.

Tim mentions The Park Hotel - I recall going in there for a couple of W'ite meetings I think. If I'm correct that's on the Leppings Lane side of the ground? If I recall

correctly I was  able to park at SWFC for those meetings. 

In my early 20's I did go to games with some local S6 lads - we drank in a huge pub in Hillsborough and I would park in their carpark. I noticed it has been demolished 

when I recently visited our store in Hillsborough (parked on the roof of a shopping precinct after following sat nav).

Perhaps some decent suggestions for someone coming from the SE of the city via the parkway/penistone road that's within 10 minutes stroll(heart condition means BP is usually 170/120) and available with 30 minutes to k.o?

How can you not know where Middlewood Road is though? That's just plain ignorance.

Where we usually park (off MR near ASDA previously a Netto) it's easy to park. On Saturday's. Midweek's different.

People getting to ground at 2:40 thinking they'll get a close parking space infuriate me too.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

Club need to have a think about things and try and accommodate our disabled supporters parking needs 

Edited by Ash76

10 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

How can you not know where Middlewood Road is though? That's just plain ignorance.

Where we usually park (off MR near ASDA previously a Netto) it's easy to park. On Saturday's. Midweek's different.

People getting to ground at 2:40 thinking they'll get a close parking space infuriate me too.

We park up at forty foot around 1 and its busy around there at that time, cant even imagine what it's like down the bottom an hour later.

2 hours ago, steelowl said:

really surprised we (swfc) didnt buy this when it was up for sale 

the loss of the carpark isnt good news at all 

DC met with Jaguar but couldn’t come to an agreement.

If we went up they were under the impression DC would go back in for it but we all know how that panned out...

3 minutes ago, We'llNeverBeMastered said:

We park up at forty foot around 1 and its busy around there at that time, cant even imagine what it's like down the bottom an hour later.

Where I say we park? Usually get a space near the top of the side roads at 2. Sometimes further down we sneak a spot at the bottom of the roads.

Later on I imagine no chance but that's to be expected.

As the development is at Planning Application stage could all those that use the car park, and would be seriously disadvantaged by its loss, submit a response to the consultation?

I suggest highlighting the "loss of amenity" and the serious inconvenience/difficulty resulting as a consequence.

1 hour ago, timrud said:

Park at Morrisons

That's where I used to park before I started using the Wednesdayite car park.  Is it still an option on match days? I'd heard they'd started monitoring the car park & fining/clamping any cars parked for more than 2 hours.