Jordan Lonchar left

2 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I bet Bruce would have gen him a go too if he'd done just this ...

Please, please, please, listen. Before Jos and very early in young Hurst's career, myself and a party were dining in Hillsborough before a match, and , when asked when his lad would be signing for Wednesday, David , his father, replied 'He won't. Not if he listens to me.'

Bruce would never have had chance to 'give him a go. 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2019 at 06:12, Etchesketch said:

Jordan Lonchar has been released by the looks of it.  No Longer on the U23'a website profiles and now turning out for Worksop U19's and Jubilee Rangers U21's in the Meadowhall League.  Don't know what's happened here but he has just turned 19, had been a regular this season in the U23's and signed a pro contract in the first year of his scholarship.  Was deemed the most promising of our youngsters a year or two ago.  Ripped up the U18's with Hirst and Preston.  What's happened?

Hes taken a scholarship in the states. Its a safe career move. He will get to play for 3 more years and come out with a degree. Its kinda deciding your not good enough to make it as a pro, as by the time he has done his scholarship he will be 22 and a long way behind anyone who has gone through a proper youth system in europe. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Please, please, please, listen. Before Jos and very early in young Hurst's career, myself and a party were dining in Hillsborough before a match, and , when asked when his lad would be signing for Wednesday, David , his father, replied 'He won't. Not if he listens to me.'

I know I've read it many times on here B/g ..

It's nice to imagine how things turn out differently sometimes however 

Good story though ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Yeah it seems David was adamant his son was never going to sign for Wednesday. Strange if you ask me. Grass always looks greener.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

8 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

One way of looking at it, but in 20 years time, if/when young Hirst is coaching at a level befitting of an ex-player with an undistinguished playing career, do you think he'll look back and thank his advisors for turning him from crap player to temporary millionaire? Or will he think "if only..."? 

A failed (and let's be fair, he hasn't failed yet) footballer has a long time to live with his regrets.

Depends what motivates him the most I guess mate - coin or football success.

4 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Complete rubbish. 

When my son signed for the academy, David Hirst was coaching with his age group. We had the choice of my lad coming to Wednesday or signing for united. 

David Hirsts words to me were the complete opposite of what you've just said. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David1867 said:

Complete rubbish. 

When my son signed for the academy, David Hirst was coaching with his age group. We had the choice of my lad coming to Wednesday or signing for united. 

David Hirsts words to me were the complete opposite of what you've just said. 

Depends when he said it.  I think David Hirst's opinions on the club may have changed when he left his coaching and hospitality jobs after his falling out.

7 hours ago, Daizan10 said:

Hes taken a scholarship in the states. Its a safe career move. He will get to play for 3 more years and come out with a degree. Its kinda deciding your not good enough to make it as a pro, as by the time he has done his scholarship he will be 22 and a long way behind anyone who has gone through a proper youth system in europe. 

There's always a chance of having a decent career in America though

8 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Where school is he going to?

He’ll need to decide on which direction he wants to go, and because of the growth of football in the US it should present him with some opportunities - but the days of him earning top whack from football are likely gone.

In the MLS you have young players who’ve left PL clubs earning around 65k - Jack Barmby would be a case in point. Which in the Pacific Northwest doesn’t go very far at all.

I’m general though, I think it’s a smart move as it will equip him better for a life without mega earnings in the sense that he has more choices of career direction and trajectory

Good luck to him.

18 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

NOt really, I was listening to owls americast and they had a kid from Sheffield on who was breaking college scoring records, but ended up doing nowt as after college your trying to join a league filled with people who have been pros since 18 and you just cant catch up. Did end up with a masters in business though. College draft system, just doesn't work in soccer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

NOt really, I was listening to owls americast and they had a kid from Sheffield on who was breaking college scoring records, but ended up doing nowt as after college your trying to join a league filled with people who have been pros since 18 and you just cant catch up. Did end up with a masters in business though. College draft system, just doesn't work in soccer.

Not strictly true.

The best American players go abroad as youths.

There are a few per team who are registered to each club under a Generation Adidas contract.

The rest are drafted from the draft.

Remember 2nd/3rd division teams also have drafts and they pay money for players to get by.

Put it this way. For the same money he could get here playing for Alfteron, he could be playing in San Diego. 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2019 at 21:51, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

If it turns out young Hirst is crap, his advisors have actually played a blinder as he's got that 5 year contract as you say, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was around £7-10k a week. So, his advisors could well have made him a multi-millionaire on the back of a load of hysteria from some of our fans - and a decent spell for England youth!

we should have taken the 2m!

Great thread, lot of diverse, and equally valid opinions.  Kind of went from Lonchar, to Hirst the First and Second, and the Academy in general.  

I don't know what's happened to Lonchar, but, if he did move to the States, and does get into MLS, he'll make ridiculous money.  The MLS is known for wasting money, rather than being on par with English Football, this is why it's big news when an American Player or Manager, get's "drafted" to fight in England...they last about a month, but when they come back, they command a higher wage, for simply having fought in England.  Like to know which University he will be attending, haven't heard a word about it here, and that would be news in the collegiate sporting world.  

As for Hirst I & II, no comment.

The Academy?  Get it going, and give Borukov a shot, if he's not broken.

11 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

Great thread, lot of diverse, and equally valid opinions.  Kind of went from Lonchar, to Hirst the First and Second, and the Academy in general.  

I don't know what's happened to Lonchar, but, if he did move to the States, and does get into MLS, he'll make ridiculous money.  The MLS is known for wasting money, rather than being on par with English Football, this is why it's big news when an American Player or Manager, get's "drafted" to fight in England...they last about a month, but when they come back, they command a higher wage, for simply having fought in England.  Like to know which University he will be attending, haven't heard a word about it here, and that would be news in the collegiate sporting world.  

Why would give Borukov a shot

10 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Why would give Borukov a shot

21 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

If Borukov was going to get a game it would have been the end of last season when he was hot.  This season he has not scored a single goal for our U23's.  He's scored for his Bulgaria team.  Too old for U18's this season so his football is now exclusively for the U23's.

• Thanks 1

On 20/02/2019 at 06:29, McRightSide said:

Where school is he going to?

He’ll need to decide on which direction he wants to go, and because of the growth of football in the US it should present him with some opportunities - but the days of him earning top whack from football are likely gone.

In the MLS you have young players who’ve left PL clubs earning around 65k - Jack Barmby would be a case in point. Which in the Pacific Northwest doesn’t go very far at all.

I’m general though, I think it’s a smart move as it will equip him better for a life without mega earnings in the sense that he has more choices of career direction and trajectory

Good luck to him.

Jack Barmby is now playing for San Antonio in the USL. The English players in the MLS tend to have been pro's in England and not gone there as teenagers like Lonchar and done a University scholarship. That route will be extremely tough. 

6 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

Jack Barmby is now playing for San Antonio in the USL. The English players in the MLS tend to have been pro's in England and not gone there as teenagers like Lonchar and done a University scholarship. That route will be extremely tough. 

We’ve had a few youngsters head out there, Boden, Murphy, Johnson (David) and a couple of other academy lads who went together, but I don’t recall their names

9 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

That says more about the quality of the player than the accessibility to the MLS. 

Jack Barmby struggled in the MLS hence why he’s now dropped out.

It’ll be interesting to see where in the NCAA Lonchar shows up