Ground being sold in February?

5 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I have heard this from two different people on here prior to reading this post. Both posters have a long history on here are genuine Wednesday fans. 

I think it would be a terrible idea. Name one club that has benefited long term from selling their stadium?

Leeds?

Just now, Bukta said:

Glad to hear that chief. I can remember coming on hear for the first time and it looking a scary place. We don’t exactly bend over backwards to accommodate new posters or welcome them with open arms do we?

no mate I had the baptism of fire when I first joined ,they soon ease up just keep posting ,

5 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Name one club that has benefited long term from selling their stadium?

Long Term? (AFC) Wimbledon. Now a fan owned club back in the football league and about to break ground on their own new stadium 250 metres away from the one that was sold for flats 25 years ago.

A football club that everyone involved in rebuilding (well, reforming) should be very proud of and a shining light amongst the greed of modern day football.

• Like 1

Guess it depends on who you sell to? Didn’t Leeds sell to the council to keep them afloat. Council then has a responsibility to tax payers. If you are selling your dad brother best mate to raise some capitol is it a bad deal. Chansiri owns the ground now. How bad would it be if his dad owns it and we keep clear of ffp? Don’t know this is what’s happening just asking the question 

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Guess it depends on who you sell to? Didn’t Leeds sell to the council to keep them afloat. Council then has a responsibility to tax payers. If you are selling your dad brother best mate to raise some capitol is it a bad deal. Chansiri owns the ground now. How bad would it be if his dad owns it and we keep clear of ffp? Don’t know this is what’s happening just asking the question 

Think i’d prefer the council. They’ve a responsibility to the city of which the club is a major part. DC’s hypothetical dad’s brother’s best mate is responsible for himself only, at the end of the day.

Joking apart ...

DC said, FFP? 'We have friends'

DC said, 'I don't sell players'

DC said, 'We are in deep pongy stuff, if we don't go up'

DC said, 'I won't sack CC'

DC said, 'I won't sack Jos'

So if SB is really coming, where's the transfer kitty coming from?

Unless Bruce said, 'no worries DC, no money needed, I'll get this lot we already have promoted.

Or maybe he is planning on taking on the EFL/FFP etc with an up yours and will see you in court, competition law etc. Where some teams in the same league get £100M start on all others. And then in January spendageddon, with a foook em, deduct points if you dare

Think we have a lawyer who deals with that kind of stuff.

Or maybe he is skint and needs to sell the ground ...:biggrin:

The sale of the ground would just swap one asset ( the ground) for another asset (cash) for the purposes of FFP. It wouldn’t help in the slightest. Ok if we get exceptionally technical it may help slightly, but certainly not to any meaningful extent as the income from the sale wouldn’t count in the FFP profit and loss calculation.

If anything it would simply indicate a more sinister intent on behalf of DC. Eg asset stripping as he knows he can never sell the club and get his investment back.

£200 million price tag !!!! Lol

14 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

How did they indirectly benefit?

Think they got £8M from the council...in effect an emergency loan, they were in dire trub may have gone out of existence without. The council of course were almost certainly going to sell it them back assuming leeds got out of financial trouble, eventually they did and bought it back. If they hadn't, it would have been a council run car park and leeds utd would have merged Bradford (a bit like when they nicked bradford airport and added leeds)

Ours is a completely different situation...we nicked doncaster airport :biggrin:

5 hours ago, gillyno9 said:

Thanks for replies. I expected all sorts and wasn’t disappointed. 

Just to to clarify from what I understood, the grounds ownership would be transferred to a family member. Therefore not actually leaving the Chansiri family.

Hopefully not the one who owns Reading. Dont want that lot moving in!

19 minutes ago, Barmowl said:

The sale of the ground would just swap one asset ( the ground) for another asset (cash) for the purposes of FFP. It wouldn’t help in the slightest.

Didn't Man city sell only naming right for their stadium for £zillions?.....though they are under investigation and may get fined and banned from europe for a couple of years if found guilty, which they won't of course :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

If it’s valued at £25 m on the balance sheet why wouldn’t it? Genuine question. Interested in how this ffp pans out. 

In that case it wouldn’t be an issue, I was under the impression that such as selling assets to other businesses owned by the chairman was a closed loophole but I stand corrected 

What rent do United pay McCabe for their ground?  Be interesting to see some actual structure and numbers re. how this is done because it stinks of asset stripping unless someone convinces me otherwise.

This is what all the 10 bob merchants were sniffing around when we were on the point of admin and I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

Think Leeds sold it to the council the first time. This was the second time where they got £8m for it from an investment firm based offshore in the Caribbean somewhere. They bought it back for £20m 13 years later having paid rent every year. By the end it was £1.7m a year in rent so a straight calculation would be about £42m all in, although I assume the rent was inflation linked or something so the total would be less. It’s a pretty terrible deal really but probably dug them out of some financial abyss or other. As far as I can tell we would just want to do it because DC has bought too many footballers on high wages so the league won’t let us buy any more right now but instead of selling some of the footballers on high wages that we already have we’ll do this instead and then we can get even more.

All hypothetical of course, as I’ve no idea if there’s any truth in this. Very interesting reaction so far though. Seems like people would only want to leave Hillsborough over their dead bodies, renaming it would be another sacrilegious act along with changing the badge/stripes, but really you can flog it to someone else no bother so long as we can buy Mo Diame on a three year contract.

• Haha 1