Definition of support

6 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

A stereotypical football fan, from a club’s viewpoint, is very loyal, very compliant, easy to please, and gullible.

That’s fine when the relationship with the club remains truly symbiotic and trust provides the glue to hold everything together. There are only ever problems when one side takes the other for granted, takes the pish, or fails to recognise not everyone is stereotypical in just accepting everything presented to them.

Rather worringly there appears to be a few of those about.

Aye, there's also a difference between supporters and sycophants.

Supporters can like or follow something but it does not stop them from having an opinion when things are not to their liking. Sycophants give undying loyalty no matter what. I think that I prefer the former rather than the latter option.

• Like 1

People have different levels of expectation. When I was living in Sheffield, I had a season ticket, and generally went every week. For the most part, it was pretty poo, so I guess I just attended out of habit Now I’m more choosey, and a little less tolerant of poor performances. It isn’t that I expect us to be winning, I’ve never been one of those win at all costs type. That’s what’s so galling for me at the moment, I think I could put up with the mixed bag of results, if only the football was entertaining. For me, when DC took over, and said he wanted us to play entertaining football, which Carlos initially delivered, I bought into it, despite the extra costs. That season was like a breath of fresh air, and the trips to Sheffield became enjoyable.

It didn’t last though, Carlos abandoned the swashbuckling style that brought the best out of players like Forestieri, and replaced it with a more attritional game. Did nobody take DC to task about this change of direction, I can’t believe they didn’t The dour football has continued under Jos, in fact it’s probably worse. Now I pick and choose my games, preferring away games, purely because they offer some respite from the dull fare on the pitch. I still consider myself a supporter, but I can’t put up with the dross served up by Jos at the moment. I’d rather not go

Edited by gurujuan

3 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

What he means is to keep paying your money, clap away and do not have an opinion.....where do I sign?

how do you know, another mind reader. Read the short post i wrote slowly and show me where i say that. Another example of an owlstalk reply based on an imagined theory dreamt up in op mind to avoid answering the simple question. Classic. Most of these replies have totally proven what i had decided from previous topics i have posted or read that very few people use the forum for what it is meant for. the reasons for this are

1. Not reading the post properly

2. Jumping to assumptions based on imagined opinions

3. retreating to personal abuse or comments of a personal nature

4  Making a massive point about grammar, spelling or english or word choice to then use as excuse for more personal abuse

5 Commenting on another op post opinions but replying to original topic creator about points never raised by topic creator. Creating a chinese whispers situation

6 Tagging posts negatively for only a question ??? 

Many people on OT are guilty to some extent of at least 1 of the points above. Lately its getting worse. If you read through the replies in this post it becomes very clear what my issue is. I posted a simple question with no assumptions or fingers pointing making accusations or anything to do with suggesting inferior support from others or alternatively i made no comment on superior support from me or anyone else. I find the tone and content of most of the replies very disappointing.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

People have different levels of expectation. When I was living in Sheffield, I had a season ticket, and generally went every week. For the most part, it was pretty poo, so I guess I just attended out of habit Now I’m more choosey, and a little less tolerant of poor performances. It isn’t that I expect us to be winning, I’ve never been one of those win at all costs type. That’s what’s so galling for me at the moment, I think I could put up with the mixed bag of results, if only the football was entertaining. For me, when DC took over, and said he wanted us to play entertaining football, which Carlos initially delivered, I bought into it, despite the extra costs. That season was like a breath of fresh air, and the trips to Sheffield became enjoyable.

It didn’t last though, Carlos abandoned the swashbuckling style that brought the best out of players like Forestieri, and replaced it with a more attritional game. Did nobody take DC to task about this change of direction, I can’t believe they didn’t The dour football has continued under Jos, in fact it’s probably worse. Now I pick and choose my games, preferring away games, purely because they offer some respite from the dull fare on the pitch. I still consider myself a supporter, but I can’t put up with the dross served up by Jos at the moment. I’d rather not go

So basically you can go but don't.

And are first on here to moan

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Do I approve of the way the club is been run, no.

Do I approve of the way the fans are being mugged off by paying top dollar for a poor product, no.

Do I approve of the treatment of senior players such as Westwood, no.

Do I approve of our dire dire tacticts, no.

Do I think I should be happy after sitting through 90 minutes of pureshite against our biggest rivals and managing just 25% possession, no.

Do I love Sheffield Wednesday, yes.

Do I want to see us become a force in British football like we once were, yes.

are you a politician, good points but no answer to the only question, 

Apart from all the rubbish that is posted my question was posted with the intention of showing swfc and all other clubs has by definition of support much less supporters than i realised. Also due to the definition of support I have learnt we have much more supporters when we winning and playing well. Normally that accusation is disliked but I "support" swfc more when results are good and so do the majority of others. As another op has posted the word fan is probably better to describe ourselves. Fan definition - 

a person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular person or thing. Thanks to all who replied with sensible answers without judgement or abuse. Those who didnt are guilty of making owlstalk a forum thats being used for the wrong purpose
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, robowl4life said:

Approval of what? Comfort of what?? But yeah I’ll encourage my side on the field but I’ll also express my feelings of discontent if I feel the need to. That goes for off the field too. I will praise my club and support my club through thick and thin but I will voice my opinion if I feel things aren’t right for the best of my club. 

the definition of support from your comment means you support swfc when its going well but you dont when things are not so good and feel things arent right. Its not normally an accusation that is liked but by the definition of the word in the oxford dictionary its true. I posted the question because people will be shocked to realise at this moment they are not swfc "supporters" I am shocked to. I have no other reasons that i posted the question and certainly not bringing up the biggest fan silly argument. It noticeable very few people could answer the question yes or no, in fact nobody did this proves that people can not admit to not supporting swfc at this moment even though it is clear many people dont support the club at this present time but still find it impossible to say that they don't.

11 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

the definition of support from your comment means you support swfc when its going well but you dont when things are not so good and feel things arent right. Its not normally an accusation that is liked but by the definition of the word in the oxford dictionary its true. I posted the question because people will be shocked to realise at this moment they are not swfc "supporters" I am shocked to. I have no other reasons that i posted the question and certainly not bringing up the biggest fan silly argument. It noticeable very few people could answer the question yes or no, in fact nobody did this proves that people can not admit to not supporting swfc at this moment even though it is clear many people dont support the club at this present time but still find it impossible to say that they don't.

I want the best for my club, so when things aren’t going well I want them sorted for the best of my club. I’m not going to blindly support something that I don’t feel is right and is detrimental to my club. 

Are you a supporter? If so, what makes you feel like you are one? 

17 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

give approval, comfort, or encouragement to. 

Are you a supporter of swfc?? 

supporter, n.

A person with an enthusiasm for and active interest in a particular form of sport or a particular team or club.

Maybe spend a little less time trying to reverse-engineer words there, chief.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

how do you know, another mind reader. Read the short post i wrote slowly and show me where i say that. Another example of an owlstalk reply based on an imagined theory dreamt up in op mind to avoid answering the simple question. Classic. Most of these replies have totally proven what i had decided from previous topics i have posted or read that very few people use the forum for what it is meant for. the reasons for this are

1. Not reading the post properly

2. Jumping to assumptions based on imagined opinions

3. retreating to personal abuse or comments of a personal nature

4  Making a massive point about grammar, spelling or english or word choice to then use as excuse for more personal abuse

5 Commenting on another op post opinions but replying to original topic creator about points never raised by topic creator. Creating a chinese whispers situation

6 Tagging posts negatively for only a question ??? 

Many people on OT are guilty to some extent of at least 1 of the points above. Lately its getting worse. If you read through the replies in this post it becomes very clear what my issue is. I posted a simple question with no assumptions or fingers pointing making accusations or anything to do with suggesting inferior support from others or alternatively i made no comment on superior support from me or anyone else. I find the tone and content of most of the replies very disappointing.

@OWLSTALK Please tell us (the majority) if we’re using the forum wrong mate! 

lol 

15 hours ago, adifferentgame said:

supporter, n.

A person with an enthusiasm for and active interest in a particular form of sport or a particular team or club.

Maybe spend a little less time trying to reverse-engineer words there, chief.

I suppose the same can be said either way, I obviously chose a definition. Just as you have. The replies are what I expected, nobody actually answered. Most comments are responses that have little to do with the question. A relative of mine has learning difficulties and as mad about wednesday. He would love to go on this site but we have stopped him from getting signed to the forum. Can you imagine what people would post if he asked for opinions with spelling mistakes or grammar not of the standard some require. So chief not everyone is as intelligent as you and although I not bothered if you agree or dont with how i worded the question, how much time a spent engineering the question was not what was asked. Why not dont bother replying if its not what the poster was asking in future ?? The site would be a much better place for swfc fans of all intelligence and abilities. To sum up my reply, maybe you should spend a bit less time trying to find issues with the post.

8 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Blind faith is a sign of stupidity in my book. 

agree....You can be a supporter of the club, and still criticise the running of it, Mr chansiri probably believes the club is his...It isn't, he goes the club carries on.

Maybe DC has a "Blind faith" he's doing everything right...when common sense shows he probably isn't.

Do we dispense with common sense because as a "Supporter" we shouldn't bother with it?

There are many ways of supporting something such as a football club, part of that is surely saying your piece when you think its going wrong.