My Balanced View

I'd like to know who is in charge in the last third?

Who is the organiser?

Where is the communication?

Our league 1 defence and playing it out from the back will be our undoing this year notwithstanding the addition of the calm and collected Hector.

When Bannan has to play on our 18 yard line, we struggle.

9 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Defensively he was sound, played really well in the first half defensively. Can't pass for sheeeet though.

He's played loads of games so manager after manager must feel he’s up to the job. Personally I just don’t feel there’s anywhere near enough natural footballing brain or ability for the level of football we are playing at. 

Boro were better than us tonight but not by much. In truth a mistake by our skipper won them the points in the end.

We are not comfortable in possession and this is a big problem if this is how the manager wants us to play. Only Hector, Bannan, Fletcher and maybe Reach looked comfortable with the ball and there were misplaced passes from some of them TBH.

It’s admirable that Jos had put his trust in youth but when you do this you’re going to get performances and results tonight. Boro’s experience and knowhow got

them the result tonight not much more.

If we’re going to stand a chance of stating where we are in the table we need to use the experience we have in our squad. It’s that simple IMO.

I thought the game mapped out similar to the Leeds game (apart from the result). Both Leeds and Boro played a high energy pressing game, high up the pitch. First half in both those matches we did ok, but second half we struggled to get the ball in the oppositions half.  It’s admirable that Jos seems determined that we play the ball out from the back, but unfortunately we don’t have the personnel to pull it off against teams like Leeds and Boro.  I suspect the United game will bring more of the same; Wilder is sure to want his players to aggressively press us high up the pitch.

The absence of Westwood feels all the more disappointing because I really feel we’re missing his distribution and experience with games like last night. I also feel Lees needs more experience around him; he’s a better player than he’s looked this season but I think he’s struggling with the added responsibility now Loovens has gone. 

Last night was a bit of a reality check and I think Jos needs to find a style of play that keeps us in the game against pressing teams like Leeds and Boro. 

Guest Bulgaria
7 hours ago, dan1980 said:

Give over mate penney was shocking tonight they targeted him as weak link offered nothing at all

I've seen some guff performances for swfc over my time but Penny's was up there with the worst I've ever seen in a blue and white shirt.

Guest Bulgaria
12 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

The absence of Westwood feels all the more disappointing because I really feel we’re missing his distribution and

Are you serious?

Westwood's distribution is on a par with a blind postman with no arms.

Edited by Bulgaria

15 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

......The absence of Westwood feels all the more disappointing because I really feel we’re missing his distribution ..... 

Think I've seen it all now. Been a great GK for us, saved us points etc. But the reason he's a Championship GK is mostly down to his awful distribution. And I'm by no means a massive Dawson fan (he flaps at the high ball way too much for me).

23 minutes ago, Almat said:

Think I've seen it all now. Been a great GK for us, saved us points etc. But the reason he's a Championship GK is mostly down to his awful distribution. And I'm by no means a massive Dawson fan (he flaps at the high ball way too much for me).

I think you’re being a bit harsh there and I’m coming at it from the perspective of what we’ve got available at the club. Put yourself in DCs position; the bloke is losing millions and if we don’t get promoted this season it might be even harder next season if we have to become a selling club next summer. Dawson and Wildsmith are fine young keepers, but think Westwood offers us a bit more in ability, experience and distribution. It wasn’t so long ago that virtually every Wednesday fan would have bragged about Westwood being the best goalkeeper in the Championship. 

Anyway all about opinions, but I reckon it’s a crying shame that we don’t seem able to use his services for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

I've seen some guff performances for swfc over my time but Penny's was up there with the worst I've ever seen in a blue and white shirt.

Thinks he needs to be rested. If anything to show him that he has to continue tobwork hard, play the simple game and not rest on his laurels which I felt he did last night. All three crossfield passes were atrocious, his defensive work was ok but a little weak and poor positionally and he offered very very little going forward. On the other flank thought Palmer was solid but uninspiring. The lad needs to start having a go at full backs.

Anyone who thinks we deserved anything out of that game is watching something different to what I am seeing. We were second best in most positions, only Reach and Bannan would get in there team. We had trouble getting the ball from midfield to the forwards because of poor positioning and equally poor passing. I cannot see us finishing near the top six so forget about any chance of promotion.

We did OK 1st half but Boro always knew that if the pressed us we'd make a mistake and they'd capitalise. We also knew that. Tom Lees should have his wages and match fee docked and given to a charity this week. Absolutely pathetic what he did. Thorniley as bad with letting the ball bounce which led to their goal. Pathetic and the 1st thing you're taught not to do as a defender. How anyone can accept that is beyond me. 

We didn't try as hard as them. We didn't fight for the ball hard enough and we dithered in defence. We were slow to attack which meant they had plenty of time to get all their hardworking giants back into position. 

Anyone who thinks that side can finish top 6 is insane. Far too many players who aren't good enough, don't care enough or both. Pains me to say it too cos I'm a proper happy clapper. I've reevaluated my expectations now to mid table and praying to a god I don't believe in that the pigs fooook up. 

10 hours ago, theowlsman said:

You clearly can’t read. See the bit that says Dawson can’t be blamed for the defeat. 3rd last sentence. Let me know if you struggle with anything else. lol

Agree with most apart from Dawson and Jos bits .. You say you didn't blame him yet still manage to hold him accountable by saying he doesn't inspire the defenders

I don't think an inspiring keeper would make any difference to Thorniley not heading a ball or Lees giving the ball straight to the opposition ...

10 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Palmer was awful tonight 

Absolutely dreadful. Penney is getting crap on here but both fullbacks were 4/10. Palmer lost control of the ball on about 4 occasions, was hesitant all evening and he is hopeless going forward. 

Hector was clear man of the match tonight.