My Balanced View

Two shots on target in a home match, suggests it’s ridiculous to claim that we deserved something from the game. Think Jos wanted it to be an attritional sort of game, and it was In the end it was close, but their know how and experience gave them the edge Hard to fault Jos’s choice of tactics, shorn of most of our creative forward thinking players, we were unlikely to out football them The problem was, they were better than us in a physical dog fight as well, like you’d expect from a Pulis side.

It was my worry before the game, that with the players available, we’d come up short whichever way we played it, so I didn’t really expect anything. With some tricky games coming up, we will struggle to stay in the top six without our flair players

Edited by gurujuan

This whole clean sheet thing is getting frustrating now. I actually don’t think our defence either individually or collectively have suddenly become absolute tripe, I think it’s the style of play this season which is hurting. We allow the opposition no matter who it is, shed loads of possession and it’s seems that they are constantly attacking our goal, with short breaks where we have it and attack. It would be good to see our possession, shots against etc stats for the season to see where we are agianst the league average. Eventually no matter who you’ve got in defence / goal you’ll concede. Being under constant attack leads to mistakes, which happened with Lees. Jos is to blame in my opinion not the team or individuals, sadly it’s just more visual because they are out on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

I thought Penny ,Palmer ,Joao and Lees wernt at the races which is not good 3 out of deffence not playing well you aint gonna win nowt...,only Hector ,Pellepessy,Reach gave themselves any credit,the rest were very forgetable.Not a great nite,what a big miss FF is...Hurry up Winnall and Lee....UTO

I’ve been praying and praying for the return of Lee.

If he gets himself back to fitness, our season changes overnight.

Most underrated player ever to wear a Wednesday shirt. Not by us obviously.

9 minutes ago, Stevelknievel said:

This whole clean sheet thing is getting frustrating now. I actually don’t think our defence either individually or collectively have suddenly become absolute tripe, I think it’s the style of play this season which is hurting. We allow the opposition no matter who it is, shed loads of possession and it’s seems that they are constantly attacking our goal, with short breaks where we have it and attack. It would be good to see our possession, shots against etc stats for the season to see where we are agianst the league average. Eventually no matter who you’ve got in defence / goal you’ll concede. Being under constant attack leads to mistakes, which happened with Lees. Jos is to blame in my opinion not the team or individuals, sadly it’s just more visual because they are out on the pitch. 

I dont think we have a leader/vocal player in back 4 or 5 including keeper..Loovens was the natural voice..Lees just isnt a captain way to quiet not confident enough to take control.Hopefully Hector will step up once he gets comftable and settled.I know hes on loan but id give him armband.Puts himself about...UTO

11 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

I'd like to know who is in charge in the last third?

Who is the organiser?

Where is the communication?

Our league 1 defence and playing it out from the back will be our undoing this year notwithstanding the addition of the calm and collected Hector.

When Bannan has to play on our 18 yard line, we struggle.

^^^^^This all day long^^^^^

absolutely clear as day to anyone with fully functioning eyes 

lol

3 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

I dont think we have a leader/vocal player in back 4 or 5 including keeper..Loovens was the natural voice..Lees just isnt a captain way to quiet not confident enough to take control.Hopefully Hector will step up once he gets comftable and settled.I know hes on loan but id give him armband.Puts himself about...UTO

True, during away games where I’ve been close enough to the action, it’s young Thorniley, who seems to take charge. He may be the man in the future, but it’s a lot to expect from someone so inexperienced Their is also zero communication between the keeper and his back line

Westwood, Hunt, Lees, Loovens, Pudil.

Operated as an integrated unit.

Seaman, Dixon, Bould, Adams, Winterburn. 

Also operated as an integrated unit.

Integration and coordination are key.

Disparate elements of a fragile entity provide instability.

8 minutes ago, baz9209 said:

^^^^^This all day long^^^^^

absolutely clear as day to anyone with fully functioning eyes 

lol

We gifted them two guilt edge opportunities, other than that they had as many chances as us in open play. Whilst some are being wax lyrical about their defence, some are having a meltdown about our defence despite similar performances (aside from the uncharacteristic mistakes as stated above). 

11 hours ago, theowlsman said:

What crap? I provided a balanced view. Some things are clear to some that aren’t so clear to others, so we try to help the misguided out

to say tom less was a disgrace and didn't care doesn't sound balanced to me . he had a  terrible game but to be labelled a disgrace and uninterested  just  coz he had a shocker is ridiculous …..

By and large, that was an awful game of football.

Our defensive errors were nothing short of embarrassing. 

I'm still at a loss as to what sort of team we are meant to be. Direct? Passing?

Needless to say, most of the team look like they're handling the proverbial hot potato when we try and pass it about.

We look so uncomfortable. 

1 minute ago, AwokenGiant said:

We gifted them two guilt edge opportunities, other than that they had as many chances as us in open play. Whilst some are being wax lyrical about their defence, some are having a meltdown about our defence despite similar performances (aside from the uncharacteristic mistakes as stated above). 

I am not just talking about the last game it’s been the same story for most of the season, Boro looked average last night, it was our passing, indecision on the ball and the fact we couldn’t seem to beat a man or keep hold of the ball further up the field that made them look better, much like the second half vs Leeds that’s where we let ourselves down, we invite pressure and make mistakes, at least Hector has been a calming influence since his arrival 

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

to say tom less was a disgrace and didn't care doesn't sound balanced to me . he had a  terrible game but to be labelled a disgrace and uninterested  just  coz he had a shocker is ridiculous …..

You understand my comments were related to last night’s game only don’t you?

So, for clarity, I’ll repeat, last night, Lees looked uninterested and his defending was a disgrace. I really can’t see how anyone could disagree tbh. 

Guest everydays_wednesday
11 hours ago, dan1980 said:

Give over mate penney was shocking tonight they targeted him as weak link offered nothing at all

I did see that someone said get Penney on a new contract and sell for 12m in summer....on the performance last night he wouldnt get in Hearts first team.

Needs a rest and reallity check as obviously has talent but needs it managing imho.

56 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Absolutely dreadful. Penney is getting crap on here but both fullbacks were 4/10. Palmer lost control of the ball on about 4 occasions, was hesitant all evening and he is hopeless going forward. 

Hector was clear man of the match tonight.

I thought Palmer largely played as I would expect; poor execution with his passing and little imagination on the ball, but in fairness he seemed pretty solid defensively.  

I agree that Penney had a poor game and he looked low on confidence last night. That said as a young player he’s bound to have the odd wobble, but I reckon we’ve all seen enough already to know he’s got the ability to play at this level. 

With regard to Palmer as brutal as it sounds, I personally don’t think he’s a good enough footballer for the level we are playing at. For anyone who’s played plenty of football as you start to play at a higher level, there can come a time when you feel that the game and players around you are quicker in mind and body on the ball; for me Palmer often looks that fraction of a second too slow to react.  The game doesn’t come naturally to him and it’s almost like he’s playing to a rule book rather than on instinct. 

6 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

You understand my comments were related to last night’s game only don’t you?

So, for clarity, I’ll repeat, last night, Lees looked uninterested and his defending was a disgrace. I really can’t see how anyone could disagree tbh. 

he had a terrible game I don't dispute that but didn't care and a disgrace I don't think so . …..he looked distraught when he messed up and why would he do that if he didn't care or wasn't interested …….do you think he was faking it and smiling smugly to himself inside .?

It seems to me that the word is out on how to play against us at Hillsborough. In general home teams tend to be on the front foot and away teams a bit more defensive. But every manager in the league knows that we try to play out from the back with players who aren't comfortable enough on the ball, don't have enough football nouse and don't have team mates who make passing easier by finding space and making the angle for an easy pass. Therefore away teams (at least the better ones) press high up the pitch resulting in hurried passing and sheer panic. It was no coincidence that we played better when big Dave came on last night and we started to play a longer game.

Lets hope that Jos can find a better way at home or its going to be a long season!

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

he had a terrible game I don't dispute that but didn't care and a disgrace I don't think so . …..he looked distraught when he messed up and why would he do that if he didn't care or wasn't interested …….do you think he was faking it and smiling smugly to himself inside .?

His defending was an absolute disgrace last night. The worst back pass I’ve ever seen in my life.

Then after Thorniley’s error, alongside Dawson, he failed to provide an effective 2nd line of defence. 

But before you continue down the wrong avenue of attack, introducing “faking it” and “smiling smugly to himself” suggesting in a sly way, that these words came from me, and not you, you need to remember how I championed Lees and Lee for England recognition at their pomp, thus recognising what a fully functioning Tom Lees is all about.

If he gets back to that level, we’ll all be happy. Last night he was shocking.