penney may be off

Guest The Claw

2 hours ago, davey_wells said:

Some proper bells on this thread.

I've said myself he had a stinker, but importantly he clearly will know that too, and he's already proven over the course of his time in the youth team and his few 1st team appearances that he's still by a huge distance our best left back or wing back.

He'll be back and be back a lot better, too.

Actually thought he just needed more conviction in everything he did - especially crossing - we know he can ping them as good as anyone.

I didn’t think he was that bad. He was confident and wanted to do something with the ball, but it didn’t come off. I’d rather a young player have that confidence than not. But I agree his crossing and shooting seemed weak compared to what we know he can do.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

There was one point on Friday down in the Kop South corner when he put a half arsed tackle in then just momentarily stood and watched the ball trickle away whilst the Boro player was immediately on it for the second ball. I think it’s usually rubbish when players are accused of a lack of effort but he was far too casual on Friday. Be surprised if Jos wont be making that point to him pretty strongly and it would get most players dropped.

I noticed that too and went barmy, it’s like he has constant brain farts 

4 hours ago, davey_wells said:

Some proper bells on this thread.

I've said myself he had a stinker, but importantly he clearly will know that too, and he's already proven over the course of his time in the youth team and his few 1st team appearances that he's still by a huge distance our best left back or wing back.

He'll be back and be back a lot better, too.

Actually thought he just needed more conviction in everything he did - especially crossing - we know he can ping them as good as anyone.

The trouble with the young lad is he thinks he is Chris Waddle. If he ever becomes half as good as him then he will be alright. He as to learn his trade first and be competent with that before he starts trying the intricate stuff which is making him look a prize knob at the moment. I think he needs knocking down a peg or two before he gets a little bit too big for his boots. 

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Not just been one game though has it. At the moment there’s nothing setting him apart from Baker, Preston etc, apart from a few fancy flicks 

Baker has competition from Palmer. Who's edged it. 

Preston competing with Reach for the right attacking slot.

Shall we drop Penney and put Fox back in?

He's a kid. Learning on the job. With no one having done a better job in that position in the last 18 month. 

I think some patience is required. Though I appreciate that that is in short supply in 2018

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

He's a kid. Learning on the job. With no one having done a better job in that position in the last 18 month. 

I think some patience is required. Though I appreciate that that is in short supply in 2018

I’ll stick my neck out and say Fox would be the safer choice at the moment. A few of us were having a conversation on here a few weeks ago after Fox had a good game and were all in agreement on how he’s the biggest scapegoat 

I’ve personally, off the top of my head, never seen a really bad Fox game 

• Haha 1

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Baker and Preston as competition - yikes!!

Guest LittleG

He is a young player learning his trade and because of that you may have to handle them differently. He has been below par for a few games and it may be time to take him out of the firing line for a couple of games and bring him down to earth. I think he will be a very good player but playing him every week when he's struggling to show the form of his first couple of games is not going to help.

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I’ll stick my neck out and say Fox would be the safer choice at the moment. A few of us were having a conversation on here a few weeks ago after Fox had a good game and were all in agreement on how he’s the biggest scapegoat 

Oh he is a scapegoat. One of many.

He had had some bad games though. And one or two nightmares. 

Probably not helped by his scapegoat status. It puts players on edge.

He was good in the defeat at forest.

Guest Grez Bez
2 hours ago, CLswfc said:

The trouble with the young lad is he thinks he is Chris Waddle. If he ever becomes half as good as him then he will be alright. He as to learn his trade first and be competent with that before he starts trying the intricate stuff which is making him look a prize knob at the moment. I think he needs knocking down a peg or two before he gets a little bit too big for his boots. 

Know him well do you?

He has shown huge potential, created a buzz and hence his price has been ramped up on here, he has his own contract thread and no doubt his love life will have improved over the past few weeks.

He expressed himself freely when under pretty much zero pressure to do so but now has a bit more to think about following the performances, praise and plaudits.

He did some nice stuff on Friday night but the horrific stuff is perhaps more memorable following the defeat.  All the bad stuff came from the new interference now messing around with the gut instinct and naturalness of his previous play.

He's young, has made an impact, is obviously very talented and is at the crucial point now where he needs to switch off the new voices in his head and channel back into his gut instinct and what his boss and fellow players are saying.  As fans we need to show a little patience and give some encouragement although it is very difficult not to scream at somebody passing the ball horizontally across the pitch in a straight line directly between your defence and their attack on more than one occasion I know.

I trust Jos to sort things out with him.

He had bad game, no doubt about it, but treatman he got on here is blown out of proportions.

It is not him who cost us points after all. Bannan got to see plenty of the ball, yet created very little. Fletcher and Joao, though quite isolated for most of the game couldn't make ball stick upfront so we found ourselves under constant pressure. And Lees...

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Can't have got to many games then

lol

Morgan Fox has never had a bad game? 

Image result for basketball coach gif

Anyway, back to Penney...

He's only a kid and clearly has lots of potential, but I wasn't impressed by his efforts on Friday night. Quite lackadaisical and though his application (at times) was wanting. 

One thing he needs to get sorted out is his anticipation and heading on long balls. Have noticed on a few occasions that he gets himself under the ball, resulting in it bouncing off the top of his head. 

Poor game on Friday, not a wing back but bags of potential at fullback

Jos needs to stop putting square pegs in round holes.

Penney is a full back,Palmer is not a wing back, Reach is not a centre midfielder and Hutch needs to be brought back to the fold If fit.

Hope Winnal can make the bench at QPR as we need him

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Can't have got to many games then

lol

Fox looks a lot better than Penney, but no one wants to hear that because it goes against the grain. Penney has looked like a lost 16 year old and anyone who disagrees is lying to themselves 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Fox looks a lot better than Penney, but no one wants to hear that because it goes against the grain. Penney has looked like a lost 16 year old and anyone who disagrees is lying to themselves 

Disagree. Thought he looked good up until the Leeds match. He's struggled since then. But still provided an assist against West Brom.

Fox has had stinker after stinker. Wolves at home last year sticks out. Will never forgive him for taking a red card because he couldn't be arsed to show a bit of desire and follow his runner. Just lazy. Burton at home last year. Wolves in the Cup this season. Three off the top of my head. League Two footballer. 

38 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Penney was weak, poor and clueless on Friday but...still has huge potential.

Fox on the other hand is a complete waste of space...one of the worst I've seen in 35 years of attending.

If fox is the answer wtf is the question?