2 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

Fair to say that if he was the finished article he wouldn't be playing with us in the Championship

Yes. I’ve always rated Joao but when he came on against the baggies he was rubbish. He wasn’t great again today before the goals. But then he scored 2 great goals. I think he should got loads of talent but not sure on his mental application sometimes. 

15 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Still gets a lot of stick on here from some, but he scores goals. For all the talk of hold up play and workrate, goals are what really matters from your striker.

Averaging a goal every 91 minutes this season in the championship. Outstanding ratio. 

Yep, posted his goals per minute stats yesterday, which have obviously improved further now as you state. Bring him on to hold the ball up and see a game out and you are going to be left disappointed. Get him into scoring positions and he will do a good job. A little surprised to see him do so well without Fletcher or Nuhiu on the pitch for him to play off today but he didn't have to play a hold up-type role today as generally we weren't going long to him in the hope of him holding it up.

15 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Looks an absolute beats and prem quality when he’s facing the opposition goal.

Either needs to improve with his back to goal or we have to start playing more to get him running and defenders and facing the goal. Probably need both to be fair.

Took both his goals very well today.

Been a problem that for a long while with our strikers. I always think strikers are far more dangerous running at defenders rather than with backs to goal 

13 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Been outstanding from Jan onwards and you mention the poor twelve mins against WBA?

Bit harsh

He's played well since he came back and deserved more of a chance after he came on in the Derby last September but he often frustrates. He has so much talent but his decision making can be poor such as having too many touches on the ball (although you can't argue with that today) and not working hard enough for team when we don't have possession like the West Brom game. Today though he has won the game with two great finishes. If only he could work on other aspects of his game then we would have some player.

15 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I sing his praises all the time, he's a Premier League footballer on ability but consistency is his main issue. I will say that Jos' rotation policy hasn't helped him, he's definitely not the striker to play at the top of the 4-2-3-1 though, can't hold it up at all. 

The key is to get players around him and not isolate him as much as we do. We isolate fletcher he's just better at holding it up but doesn't carry the goal threat Joao does. Joao when fit should start up top with players up and around him its the winning formula for me. 

1 minute ago, Avon barksdale said:

The key is to get players around him and not isolate him as much as we do. We isolate fletcher he's just better at holding it up but doesn't carry the goal threat Joao does. Joao when fit should start up top with players up and around him its the winning formula for me. 

Yep plays better with three up front for me, gives him more options.  

40 minutes ago, Watson said:

Joao plays at the same level as the players he has around him.  Put him in a Premier team and he won't look out of place. 

Go to the back door. Open it. Stand there and breathe some cool October air into your lungs.

Repeat this until you feel better.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Still gets a lot of stick on here from some, but he scores goals. For all the talk of hold up play and workrate, goals are what really matters from your striker.

Averaging a goal every 91 minutes this season in the championship. Outstanding ratio. 

Like FF, Joao, on the whole,  gets a tough time on OT, compared with others.

Barnes Waltzers throuh the whole team & scores; yet bizarrely the OT knives were out for him.

Miles better player than both Nuhiu & Fletcher.

Along with Bannan, Reach & FF, one of the 1st names on the team sheet.

• Thanks 1

He’d been really poor, but can’t argue with his goals today, his goals per minute or his great tally since Jos started playing him regularly last season.

No question that he benefited from the attention the defence had to pay to Nando. 

Think both he and Nuhiu May start v Boro. Land of the Giants. Hope he plays FF-Nuhiu-Joao.