5 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

He hates playing with his back to the goal.  Absolutely hates it.  That's it really. You can give the ball to him any other way you like but he isn't interested in having it sent to him long, high and facing the wrong way and I think that is it with him.

Gorgeous for the second goal today and lovely to see.

Completely agree.

His biggest qualities are speed, dribbling and finishing. 

Never looked like winning a header yesterday and lost the ball almost every time it was played into him under close marking. Same v WBA. 

Strange that his flick-on heading is so poor. His defensive heading at set-pieces is outstanding. Maybe hairy-arrissed CBs get away with pushing and mauling mid-field, whereas in our box Lucas will get pretty much a free jump.(add your own punch-line)

I think Lucas is far more effective wide or alongside Fletch or Nuhiu. But I was calling for him to be subbed after 60 ineffective minutes yesterday, and looked a teet after 64 and 66 minutes, so what do I know?

5 league goals in ~ 470 minutes this season.

12 goals in ~ 1600 minutes since Brum at home in February.

He went for almost 2 full years under Carlos scoring one goal. Jos needs enormous credit, as does Lucas of course, for this unreal transformation of a player.

Edited by Holmowl

18 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Still not the finished article but he’s got all the talent. Still don’t think he likes that physics battle with centre halves. He was poor before the goals then bang 2 goals in 2. 

When are we likely to this 'finished article'? Just asking.... :biggrin:

• Haha 1

I thought he was poor in the first half. But presumably after a rocket at half time he was much much better in the second, and particularly after he scored. 

The problem with Joao is his mind I think, he’s a player who requires confidence and when he doesn’t have it he’s poor and sulks somewhat. 

Took his goals well. 

15 hours ago, Ash77 said:

Not suprised he struggled with no support, but if we can get up the pitch and in the box more often he has that talent, pace, flair and technique to create that crucial half yard with the composure to finish.

Target men like nuhiu and fletcher cant create space to shoot like that and wouldnt score as many per games played, including any of joaos goals superbly taken goals today imo.

Players like ff/matias can get in behind, create space and chances for joao or a target man might help get us up the pitch more directly, but he cant do it on his own with 4 centre backs behind him, he needs ff/matias off him or one of the big guys next to him imo.

5 goals from 4 starts and 5 sub apps so far, great stats, needs a run with ff now imo

343 formation - Front three of Matias Joao Forestieri.

27 minutes ago, James1986 said:

When are we likely to this 'finished article'? Just asking.... :biggrin:

There's a chance we never will, but I agree with @Bouncing Owl that there's potentially a fair bit more to come from João, which is an encouraging thought given that he's currently averaging a goal every 91 mins!

As I say, he may never realise that potential, but I'd say if he can add a bit more of a physical edge to his game and develop that ironclad self-belief that all truly top strikers need, then he could play in the Premier League.

If not, well then he's doing a mighty fine job for us in the Championship for now.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

343 formation - Front three of Matias Joao Forestieri.

Have said this before but issue is matias always injured so would use as an impact sub when fit(ish), might get injured less then and regularly contribute.

Would go joao and ff now with reach, bannan and onomah behind, jp/hector defensive midfield in front of back 4 (4132)

Edited by Ash77

I don't think Joao has been helped by our lack of consistency upfront over the years. Nobody seems to have held down a pairing or partnership for long before rotation and/or injuries mix things up again. We're still waiting for players to come back who will complicate the issue again.

He is however an undeniable threat. Thing is with Joao is he's one of those players who will attract interest if he goes on a run. Has got all the tools, just needs sustained success. With the transfer market the way it is now, letting Joao leave on a free would have been absolutely insane. 6 months of consistent Championship football or a handful of good games in the top flight - should we ever get there - rockets players value nowadays. I still believe Joao will leave here for a profit rather than for a loss or on a free.