Mid table team

1 hour ago, s6 owl said:

We have the makings of a good team but we lack leadership on the pitch, a brave call needs to be made regarding our Captain.

I agree with this and have thought it for a while now re. Lees.

He may have been picked for all the right reasons off the pitch but he isn't the man for the job on the pitch.

It is a bit of an awkward situation to manage but that's what Jos is paid for.

Venancio would have been the obvious choice had he signed permanently and I'm struggling to choose someone from the present group which goes to show the lack of obvious leaders out there especially in tough periods of games like tonight.  

Hector could definitely have it in him but it's difficult if you're new and could possibly create disharmony.  

I don't feel Bannan is the man as others have suggested, he seems vocal after stuff happens rather than being vocal in making stuff happen.

Reach had a stint last season when Lees was injured but Fred sort of stepped up alongside him to martial the defence so maybe others know more about how he did in the role.

It is an extremely difficult call but something has to change be it Lees gets some help, gets dropped forcing a change, stands down I'm not sure but then it still requires someone to step forward and step up to the task.

There seems no problem at all with morale and togetherness in general but there is still a tendency to flap, panic and lose heads and shape in pressure situations.  Definitely needs to be looked at if we are to continue improving as we really aren't too far away and there is plenty of time to address our areas for improvement.

We are missing some big heads with big gobs and experience out there.  The gaps in Loovens' absences were filled previously by the likes of Wallace, Westwood, Hooper and Hutchinson to some degree (although he was a nightmare at Brentford) but with these players gone, replaced, out of favour or whatever the reason for their absence, it is something we're missing in the side and even when they were around, we were better in this area when Loovens was a regular.

Hector and Thorniley, who has shown signs of being future captain material, may be both the answer in the middle and the start of a long term solution re. the captaincy as Hector beds in and possibly steps up but it would take a brave man to drop Lees either from the side or the captaincy and would really need handling well.  I actually think Lees might benefit if the burden is lifted but it could quite easily go the other way too.

Some of the problem will be resolved by better understandings developing over time between the manager, players and their new teamates etc but Jos and the team need a man on the pitch now holding everyone together and keeping an eye on stuff.

10 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

I agree with this and have thought it for a while now re. Lees.

He may have been picked for all the right reasons off the pitch but he isn't the man for the job on the pitch.

It is a bit of an awkward situation to manage but that's what Jos is paid for.

Venancio would have been the obvious choice had he signed permanently and I'm struggling to choose someone from the present group which goes to show the lack of obvious leaders out there especially in tough periods of games like tonight.  

Hector could definitely have it in him but it's difficult if you're new and could possibly create disharmony.  

I don't feel Bannan is the man as others have suggested, he seems vocal after stuff happens rather than being vocal in making stuff happen.

Reach had a stint last season when Lees was injured but Fred sort of stepped up alongside him to martial the defence so maybe others know more about how he did in the role.

It is an extremely difficult call but something has to change be it Lees gets some help, gets dropped forcing a change, stands down I'm not sure but then it still requires someone to step forward and step up to the task.

There seems no problem at all with morale and togetherness in general but there is still a tendency to flap, panic and lose heads and shape in pressure situations.  Definitely needs to be looked at if we are to continue improving as we really aren't too far away and there is plenty of time to address our areas for improvement.

We are missing some big heads with big gobs and experience out there.  The gaps in Loovens' absences were filled previously by the likes of Wallace, Westwood, Hooper and Hutchinson to some degree (although he was a nightmare at Brentford) but with these players gone, replaced, out of favour or whatever the reason for their absence, it is something we're missing in the side and even when they were around, we were better in this area when Loovens was a regular.

Hector and Thorniley, who has shown signs of being future captain material, may be both the answer in the middle and the start of a long term solution re. the captaincy as Hector beds in and possibly steps up but it would take a brave man to drop Lees either from the side or the captaincy and would really need handling well.  I actually think Lees might benefit if the burden is lifted but it could quite easily go the other way too.

Some of the problem will be resolved by better understandings developing over time between the manager, players and their new teamates etc but Jos and the team need a man on the pitch now holding everyone together and keeping an eye on stuff.

Lees has looked an average championship for well over a year, ducked for the Leeds equaliser and backed off all the way for the 2nd one against West Brom. 2 seasons ago he'd have thrown himself at it.

6 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

I agree that we look like a mid table team, I still think we are capable of better!

Jos isn't getting the best out of the players far from it. 

I still think we have the players to make a push for the playoffs.

A mediocre side will make the playoffs this season!

A thread  stating the obvious followed by a deluded post like this :picnic:of course we are a mid table side and no we don’t have the players for a pla off push ..

What a brilliant season this is so far.  I have never felt this relaxed as a fan. We have zero chance of relegation. But have little chance of promotion. There is no pressure at all.

We are scoring lots of goals, some that will long live in the memory,  and are involved in some really good games. We have a team built on the youth team plus players like Bannan and Nuhiu who give their all in the shirt and love being here. We have a really nice, decent, modest manager who is focusing on the long term.

7 hours ago, vulva said:

Written all over us. Very honest bunch, but a better side would have closed that down. Barnes should have been brought down 50 yards from goal. 

Wednesday at the minute remind me of an old boxer, the type wheeled out to get better boxers in shape. Honest, durable and organised, with many matches going the distance. We won’t get sparked out in the first, but we havn’t got enough nouse to move up a weight. We were playing 6 at the back tonight for large parts. 

Thought Pellupessy had his best game tonight. Hector is a good defender but he’s playing for us in the Championship because his distribution isn’t good enough. That’s worrying, because Tom Lees is similar. 

Sorry but what are you on RE pelupessy? THAT WAS POSSIBLY ONE OF THE WORST PERFORMANCES IVE EVER SEEN FROM ANY PLAYER EVER. NOT JUST HIS WORST BUT THE WORST OF ANY PLAYER IVE EVER SEEN. HE WAS SHOCKING.

5 minutes ago, maldenowl said:

Sorry but what are you on RE pelupessy? THAT WAS POSSIBLY ONE OF THE WORST PERFORMANCES IVE EVER SEEN FROM ANY PLAYER EVER. NOT JUST HIS WORST BUT THE WORST OF ANY PLAYER IVE EVER SEEN. HE WAS SHOCKING.

I’m not reading that. That’s just a noise. 

Come back with something a bit better. 

• Haha 1

My feeling is that we have an outside chance of top six if the likes of Hooper and Winnall make an impact when they return. Actually doing the biz in the top six should we make it is a different matter and we are not quite at our best at key moments.

More than likely we will be between 6-12th which is decent for a team in transition. But the blades are putting the pressure on.

I think that there is an expectation that the likes of Winnall, Hooper, Lee, Hutchinson et al will get fit, have an impact and shoot us into the playoffs. 

Few flaws with this theory. Firstly they aren’t fit, have a track record of never been fit and are 2 years older in most cases since they made an impact at this level. 

OP is right - definitely mid table team this year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us finishing 12th. We have got some very good players but we lack a leader, we are too inexperienced at the back and we have an injury plagued squad. Enjoy the ride this year and hopefully we can bring the young players on and we have a huge clear out at the end of the season. 

8 hours ago, vulva said:

Written all over us. Very honest bunch, but a better side would have closed that down. Barnes should have been brought down 50 yards from goal. 

Wednesday at the minute remind me of an old boxer, the type wheeled out to get better boxers in shape. Honest, durable and organised, with many matches going the distance. We won’t get sparked out in the first, but we havn’t got enough nouse to move up a weight. We were playing 6 at the back tonight for large parts. 

Thought Pellupessy had his best game tonight. Hector is a good defender but he’s playing for us in the Championship because his distribution isn’t good enough. That’s worrying, because Tom Lees is similar. 

If we're a mid table team what are wba? 

8 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

I agree that we look like a mid table team, I still think we are capable of better!

Jos isn't getting the best out of the players far from it. 

I still think we have the players to make a push for the playoffs.

A mediocre side will make the playoffs this season!

Wow.

We are Top 6 over the last 10 games. 

Form: Last 10 matches (HOME AND AWAY)

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Sheffield Utd 10 7 1 2 19 11 +8 22
2 West Bromwich 10 6 3 1 26 14 +12 21
3 Middlesbrough 10 6 3 1 12 2 +10 21
4 Leeds Utd 10 5 4 1 18 7 +11 19
5 Norwich City 10 5 2 3 13 12 +1 17
6 Sheffield Wed 10 4 4 2 15 14 +1 16

1 minute ago, Drewswfc said:

If we're a mid table team what are wba? 

Top 2 side that played poorly last night. Not convinced they’ve got the right manager either. Worth noting that their best player, Phillips, wasn’t playing last night.

Also add into the squad last night the likes of Sako, Morrison,Oliver  Burke etc, and you can see how the parachute payments have made this league very unfair. 

8 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

We lack nounce, mental toughness and most importantly a winning attitude, we could still be a top six side this year, but only if jos can sort out the at times  fragile mentality and naivity of our game. Some times you have to be a bit nasty to get what you need... Nice guys don't win things... Bruno vs tyson from the old days springs to mid. 

No natural leaders either - just a little too soft.

There is no commanding presence at the back which is really hurting us

16 minutes ago, vulva said:

Top 2 side that played poorly last night. Not convinced they’ve got the right manager either. Worth noting that their best player, Phillips, wasn’t playing last night.

Also add into the squad last night the likes of Sako, Morrison,Oliver  Burke etc, and you can see how the parachute payments have made this league very unfair. 

I've seen west brom a couple of times this season and they've been no great shakes. I don't think we'll be far away from the play offs. Need to be a bit more cynical and Joey needs to get a nasty streak

44 minutes ago, Almat said:

Wow.

We are Top 6 over the last 10 games. 

Form: Last 10 matches (HOME AND AWAY)

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Sheffield Utd 10 7 1 2 19 11 +8 22
2 West Bromwich 10 6 3 1 26 14 +12 21
3 Middlesbrough 10 6 3 1 12 2 +10 21
4 Leeds Utd 10 5 4 1 18 7 +11 19
5 Norwich City 10 5 2 3 13 12 +1 17
6 Sheffield Wed 10 4 4 2 15 14 +1 16

But this is my point, look out our form, if we had won last night we would be sixth, apart from Leeds nobody has stood out, we haven't kept a clean sheet, I'd say we played well against Millwall and Villa for 90 mins.

We are in third gear at the minute, imagine where we could be if we hit top gear! 

I still think there is more to come from us, and if there is why can't we make the playoffs this season, about 12 other clubs will be saying same thing!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

But this is my point, look out our form, if we had won last night we would be sixth, apart from Leeds nobody has stood out, we haven't kept a clean sheet, I'd say we played well against Millwall and Villa for 90 mins.

We are in third gear at the minute, imagine where we could be if we hit top gear! 

I still think there is more to come from us, and if there is why can't we make the playoffs this season, about 12 other clubs will be saying same thing!

You only have to look at the parlous state of affairs Jos inherited from clueless to realse we are very much on the up as a team/club. But it won't happen overnight and we really do as a fanbase need to adopt a patient approach. West Brom are 13/5 on SkyBet to WIN the league (we have come in from 200/1 to 150/1 lol) and there was no way, maybe excluding the last 10 mins, they looked a better team than us last night! We STILL have very big players to come back also. I think there's been a massive overreaction on here due to the 2 late goals WBA scored but, let's face it, most would surely have been happy with a draw pre-game! That tells me for 80 mins we massively over-achieved last night. And that has to be progress. 

we are doing ok and mid table sounds fine to me …...a couple of dodgy away performances but overall well pleased with what I've seen so far . we are competitive which isn't easy to be when have to make a big overhaul  of the squad without having the capability of buying players .

• Like 1

I would forget the likes of Winnall, Hooper, Hutch, Van Aken etc. The squad and club have moved on since those players were regulars. If anyone is crazy enough to want these hopalongs on loan we should, like we did with Rhodes, gift wrap them up and carry them there. We are scoring plenty with a target man of adthe or fletch up top and players with energy buzzing around them.

I am pretty sure Jos would chuck a another kid in the side than draw down on the talents of the leper colony in the tiny windows of fitness and form they have .