Westwood

52 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

We have made a decent start and I am quite prepared to accept some of the unusual tactics and selections as Jos probably knows what he is doing. But what is still really bugging me is that our best goalkeeper is being wasted. We didn't sell him, he didn't go in the loan window so we have one of the best goalkeepers in the Championship being paid serious money and being wasted. I do not accept Jos' assertions that he is third choice based on ability and performance and with our back line still looking shaky, Westwood in goal would be an immediate improvement. Does anyone know what is really going on?

Yes:-

1 Dawson

2 Wildsmith

3 Westwood

• Like 2

Guest addedtime
21 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

It’s not based on ability and performance

How many more times will this have to be spelled out

Would someone/you then just explain exactly what it is then?

3 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

The funniest thing about it all is when people try and justify that Dawson is the better keeper. Or that it’s all about development of youth, which is just not true. No war has Westwood just all of a sudden become a useless keeper. 

It reeks of similar goings on to the GH situation. 

well we moaned that we had  an injury prone aging squad ...jos as now reduced the age of team and to do that there as to be some casualties of aging players . he came with a reputation of giving youth a chance so it's no great surprise that the ones being left out are the over 30s who's best days are behind them …..take jones he doesn't get a look in now but  he's a better player than say conor Kirby but if theres a place come up i'd hope and expect that it would be Kirby gets the nod . if you don't make tough decisions of playing the future over the past  then the team would never evolve .

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

No war has Westwood just all of a sudden become a useless keeper. 

It is not suddenly, it is over 9 months. How do you know he isn't now not as good as he was?

If anyone actually knows different, tell us what it is you do know and how you know it.

Edited by OxonOwl

33 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

He's a good keeper but...

A - He's a reyt fanny

B - He takes far too long on Goal kicks

C - He's a reyt fanny

You missed him stopping to top up his hair gel.

lol

In all seriousness though he should be our number 1 and I am pretty sure when he is no longer under contract to us. he will tell us why he wasn't our number 1.

35 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Agree with this. Think the focus shouldn't be on Westwood.... he is the past. In Dawson we have a very bright young keeper who is performing well. Think the focus should be on him.

The focus is on we haven’t managed to keep a clean sheet yet. 

Guest Bulgaria
49 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

My opinion is we have a had a few strong willed characters in the dressing room over the last few years.. some no doubt disruptive/highly opinionated perhaps (KW).

Jos has seen this, no doubt evaluated it all and for the greater good of the team is looking past these players regardless of stature at the club and past glories (FF)

which he has stated as such in interviews, some may have already gone and is now forging a new team together with limited resources and eager youngsters.

Nailed it

Guest Bulgaria
50 minutes ago, James1986 said:

What i was told is that it all stems back to last Christmas when he refused to stop in the team hotel on Christmas Day for the Nottingham Forest match, especially with it being 45 mins down the road (probably wanted to be with family)....

He hasn't played since.

If that's true then I would make him 4th choice.

2 minutes ago, kingsidney said:

The focus is on we haven’t managed to keep a clean sheet yet. 

Think I'd go with Jos on this one, as long as we win I'm not bothered about clean sheets.

I'd rather we win every game 3 - 1 or 6 - 4 than rely on keeping clean sheets and possibly have 0 - 0 draws or try and hang on to 1 - 0 leads.

24 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

The Westwood saga is undoubtedly one of the reasons Andy Rhodes decided it was time to part company with the club, which was a bigger loss than the najority realise .

Really? Nothing to do with the chance to become an assistant manager at a club he had played for in his career with one of his best pals as the manager? 

We have probably looked at it and thought got two good keepers already. a good saleable asset to get of the wage bill.

What we didn't account for was Westwood saying.

Look contrary to what Hunt thinks Bristol City are not a club on the rise.

I am staying put.

lol

We’ve not kept a clean sheet this season and look vulnerable at times at the back...yet we’ve got a keeper available to us who as so far in his career with us, won player of the season and kept more clean sheets than I care to remember (equaling our clean sheet record in one of the seasons).

The decision by the club and/or Jos is baffling!! I’m all for giving these Young lads a whirl but there needs to be a sense of perspective in it all...Westwood is our best keeper (there’s no debate). The decision isn’t made on footballing reasons on the pitch, it’s between Westwood and the management off the field. 

Westwood in the side helps the back four tighten up...he would certainly help thornley and penny individually as well. 

He won't play for us again. Even in an injury crisis I'd expect we'll look further down the youth ladder for cover. 

For me, that silly tweet was probably the final nail in his coffin as far as his Sheffield Wednesday career goes. Joking or not, spouting off on social media about how he's better than the other goalkeepers at the club suggests a lot about his attitude. As the only 'senior' keeper at the club, he should be using his experience to help develop the younger players, not tweeting that he's better than they are. I don't imagine Jos to be the type who will stand for that kind of thing.