Onomah And Reach.

It seems there's a bit of realisation happening now of what I was saying before the season. Reach doesn't really fit anywhere.

He doesn't fit in the front line.. Fletch is the best foil we have.. Joao and Matias give us pace and movement around him.
Reach can't match what they provide, and we still have Nando and Hooper to come back.

Pessy and Bannan are basically a must. While some fans have it in for Pessy, both Jos and Bannan talk repeatedly about how important Pessy is.

The only other player on the booked who can do a job similar to Pessy is Hutch, and he's proved a bit of a liability in terms of fitness and discipline.

So that leaves one place for Onomah, Reach, Abdi, Lee and Boyd.

Fortunately for Reach, Lee and Abdi are both still coming back to fitness. Boyd's not really a central creative player, and Onomah's only just got in the door.

Onomah looks like has the attributes to do the job really well. Physical enough, decent pace and skills. Could make himself a certain pick with some form.

A fully fit Kieran Lee would be one of the first names in the side. Simple as that.

While we've seen nothing of it in blue and white, we all know that Abdi was a player. If Jos can work his magic and get him back fit and back to form, as he's done with Joao, Matias, Nuhiu, Fletch and arguably put Bannan on another level now he's among the goals.. then there's a small chance of Abdi doing the same.

That would put Reach as 4th choice in center mid. Without Abdi, 3rd choice.

The problem is that Reach is a decent player.. super fit, decent with a ball, occasionally scores a worldie and going on good runs.. but he's really lax with regard to the defensive side of his duties a lot of the time.. And he's not he's not exceptional. He's not as good as Bannan, he can't do Pessy's job, he can't do Joao's job, Lee's better at that forward linking midfield role and early signs are that Onomah might be too.

Reach's a good puzzle piece, but I'm not sure he's from the jigsaw we're making right now.

Edited by cookeh

Reach had an off day on Saturday. This helped the opposition as his energy helps the side by stopping opposition building attacks. If you have one of the front four not functioning it undermines the system. personally see Reach as part of the attacking midfield and prefer him in wide role but has done well in centre position. We need our attacking midfield players to score regularly as options available up front for lone striker role are not that prolific only one goal in seven this season. I think if these 3 play well and press opposition players it also helps Bannan in his role as creates space for him to work in. All teams need a defensive midfield player we have JP and Hutch. Hutch can be a bit too rash and cause problems for team if he could eliminate this from game would probably be first choice. JP is steady and sticks to script which is what you need. 

Onomah from what I have read is an attacking midfield player and could probably fill the Bannan role or one of row of three behind striker. It was difficult to judge on Saturday but he looks to have a turn of speed and plenty of energy and therefore would be suited to wide role.

There is plenty of competition for attacking midfield roles with FF, JO, MM, LJ, AR, and Fraser Preston all playing to a reasonable standard in those roles this season. 

11 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Reach's a good puzzle piece, but I'm not sure he's from the jigsaw we're making right now.

If he's a piece that isn't from the jigsaw we are making we need to find a new jigsaw.

He's a good player, he's proved he's a benefit to the team. A good manager will find a way to utilise his best players and Jos is a good manager.

16 minutes ago, prowl said:

If he's a piece that isn't from the jigsaw we are making we need to find a new jigsaw.

He's a good player, he's proved he's a benefit to the team. A good manager will find a way to utilise his best players and Jos is a good manager.

That's the question tho.. I'm not trying to be a d**k to Reach, but is he one of our best players?

He's not a center foward, so Nuhiu and Fletch are in ahead there.
He's not a defensive mid, so Pessy and Hutch are better there.
Bannan is a 100% nailed on certainty. No one is pushing Bannan our of the side.
So we have options of using him at left back, left wing, right wing or attacking center mid.
For me Reach is 100% not an out and out left back. He's defensively frail and just isn't suitable for the job.

Right wing.. not Reach's best position. He struggles a bit when not able to cross on his left. Joao and Matias are better there.
Left wing.. Probably his natural position, but.. Joao's a bigger goal threat and Nando is undoubtedly better than Reach out there.

So we're left with the only real option being where he plays right now.. attacking mid.

But, is Reach better than a fit Kieran Lee? I'd say no. Lee was great at making runs, finding space and getting goals.
There's a questionmark over Onomah since he's just arrived, but those two are certainly in competition with one another.

So once everyone's fit, it'll be one from Reach, Onomah, Lee and Abdi. And for me, Reach is in the middle of that list, not at the top of it.

Edited by cookeh

In the short time Onomah was on the pitch he showed one attribute that neither Reach or Joey bring, he moves into space and calls for and wants the ball.  He then looks for a forward pass or run instead of the usual sideways/backward pass.

15 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Think these two will battle it out for the same position.

Onomah looked lively when he come on yesterday. Think he may have a bit of Kieran Lee about him. Someone who will go box to box all game, get forward and take the game to the opposition.

Think if I was Reach though I would be worried that I maybe on the bench on Wednesday.

Penney even proved he can be as effective as him running down that wing and carrying to ball.

Reach needs to improve on that performance and fast as it was one of his worst for us.

I don't think Onomah is that type of player. I think he's more of a Kante type.

Whilst he could get forward and influence I think he will also influence the breaking up of play. Think going forward it will be him and Bannan with Reach in front of them.

I do agree with Reach though he has to maintain his high level (which I thought dropped yesterday) as Penney looks quality at LB or even LWB should we revert so If Lee was to come back then Reach is no longer an Automatic choice.

Pelupessy was poor yesterday, and I am not one of his boo boys I think he is what he is, a 350k player who is decent. He is an improvement on Jones and Buttercup but he shouldn't be starting week in week out and is not up to the standard of Hutchinson. He would however make an impact coming on to sure up a game. So going forward I expect Onomah to take his place.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mickjj said:

In the short time Onomah was on the pitch he showed one attribute that neither Reach or Joey bring, he moves into space and calls for and wants the ball.  He then looks for a forward pass or run instead of the usual sideways/backward pass.

Kieran Lee also very good at doing this.

24 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I don't think Onomah is that type of player. I think he's more of a Kante type.

Whilst he could get forward and influence I think he will also influence the breaking up of play. Think going forward it will be him and Bannan with Reach in front of them.

I do agree with Reach though he has to maintain his high level (which I thought dropped yesterday) as Penney looks quality at LB or even LWB should we revert so If Lee was to come back then Reach is no longer an Automatic choice.

Pelupessy was poor yesterday, and I am not one of his boo boys I think he is what he is, a 350k player who is decent. He is an improvement on Jones and Buttercup but he shouldn't be starting week in week out and is not up to the standard of Hutchinson. He would however make an impact coming on to sure up a game. So going forward I expect Onomah to take his place.

Pelupessy will play. Matias is most at threat at the moment to lose his place.

I agree with Cookeh, Reach is the odd man out, but not so much so, that he needs leaving out For me, Jos has got the line up about right, he just needs to tweak Reach’s role a little Certainly I don’t think we should change the way we are playing, but maybe just alter the job we are asking Reach to do, as we look to make the most of his undoubted talent

24 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Pelupessy will play. Matias is most at threat at the moment to lose his place.

I think your right Pelupessy will play Jos loves him.

However I don't know about Matias think he is getting better and better with this run. People will say he didn't contribute a lot bar the goal on Saturday but look at the runs he made off the ball they were fantastic.

I think he has got the defensive side of his game up to scratch now. He looks like he can add goals now if we can get the creative side we have a player and a half, and I think Jos thinks that too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think your right Pelupessy will play Jos loves him.

However I don't know about Matias think he is getting better and better with this run. People will say he didn't contribute a lot bar the goal on Saturday but look at the runs he made off the ball they were fantastic.

I think he has got the defensive side of his game up to scratch now. He looks like he can add goals now if we can get the creative side we have a player and a half, and I think Jos thinks that too.

and he scored a good goal at Forest last time

16 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Onomah looked lively when he come on yesterday. Think he may have a bit of Kieran Lee about him. Someone who will go box to box all game, get forward and take the game to the opposition.

Think if I was Reach though I would be worried that I maybe on the bench on Wednesday.

Penney even proved he can be as effective as him running down that wing and carrying to ball.

Reach needs to improve on that performance and fast as it was one of his worst for us.

Onomah looks nowt like Kieran Lee

:tango:

• Haha 1

Based on how we’re setting up I expect the wide forwards and box to box mid role to cover more ground than any other positions. They’re needed to transition defense to attack and support defense from attack. 

I cant understand how so many people are talking in definitives almost as if it’s a one game season. There’s plenty of minutes and running to be shared out between Fessi, Matias, Jaoa, Reach maybe the new lad too even if Lee, Hooper get back. 

In in the past we’ve ran our players into ground, almost crippled a few and the week their back we force them back into side, now we appear to have found a way to keep reserves happy, raise their game, form and motivation levels and instead of celebrating that fact we’ve a few pages of debate over who’s best where.... fact we’re debating shows how far we’ve come and how good our options are! 

That’s the key OPTIONS! We may want two box to box mids one week or play with three mobile forwards. We can! We can rest, rotate, swap and change; that for me is a good thing though. 

So many different views on where would be best to use Onomah. It's very interesting. 

I think there's a lot of guess work going on with him at the minute because we haven't seen him properly, and a lot of people are just replacing what they currently see as a weak link in midfield, regardless of what Onomah's game actually is. It's difficult to believe that one person can suggest he should sit behind Bannan and do the dirty work while another person say he should be one of the creative outlets going forward, having seen the same match. 

For what it's worth, a friend of mine who is a Villa fan suggested that from everything he saw of him last season, his attributes would actually have him best suited to playing just behind someone like Atdhe or Fletcher. If we're playing a 4231, he'd be in the middle of the 3 - a spot which there's a lot of competition for. 

Reach as far too many positives to be left out of the team

hes quick fit direct and can put quality balls in the box we all know he’s got a wonder goal in his locker too he stretchers teams and is versatile more importantly he seems to perform like he’s just come on even if we’re in the last minute of extra time.

i don’t think I’ve ever seen a player improve quite dramatically than with him. His first season I struggled to see what we had spent all that money on. I thought he offered little going forwards and was poor defensively but the last two seasons he’s up there with a must on the team sheet like bannan 

you only drop these players when they need it or are not required in the team 

3 hours ago, fpowl said:

Reach as far too many positives to be left out of the team

hes quick fit direct and can put quality balls in the box we all know he’s got a wonder goal in his locker too he stretchers teams and is versatile more importantly he seems to perform like he’s just come on even if we’re in the last minute of extra time.

i don’t think I’ve ever seen a player improve quite dramatically than with him. His first season I struggled to see what we had spent all that money on. I thought he offered little going forwards and was poor defensively but the last two seasons he’s up there with a must on the team sheet like bannan 

you only drop these players when they need it or are not required in the team 

Lees, Bannan, Joao, Forestieri. Maybe even Hooper and Lee all bigger misses than Reach.

On 16/09/2018 at 20:48, Animis said:

Reach out wide left - unless FF is fit. If he is, then we need to find space for both of them.

Onomah should replace Pelpussey if anyone. 

The balance of the team is critical for us to move forward. 

Playing the best players needs to be JL's priority.

No , picking up consistent good results, like he has , needs to be jos’ priority 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 17/09/2018 at 04:22, pazowl55 said:

Disagree. Reach is a very flexible player and is very fit. I think Reach will start on the wing for either Matias or Joao with Onomah in the middle. Jos likes a bit of rotation. In the long term though, you may well be right.

Edited by Kagoshimaowl