Best boss?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
10 hours ago, RevOwl said:

Here's one to put the cat amongst the pigeons. Who's officially the best manager we've had in the last 20 years? 

Ron Atkinson by a country mile.  We actually won a trophy under him. However, as this is longer than 20 years ago I’d have to say Brian Laws. Played some great football under him. Statistically it will probably be CC.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
8 hours ago, poite said:

Either Gary Megson or Stuart Gray. Torn between the two to be honest. 

Despite the fact he got us up (fair play to him) my most hated manager is Dave Jones. Couldn't stand the bloke. 

Megson? Really?  He had to leave it to Dave bloody Jones to bail us out and get us promoted as we wouldn’t have done it if Gary had stayed!

4 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Megson? Really?  He had to leave it to Dave bloody Jones to bail us out and get us promoted as we wouldn’t have done it if Gary had stayed!

Would love to have seen him get us promoted without the signing of Antonio. 

Who signed Antonio?

garymegson

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 minutes ago, poite said:

Would love to have seen him get us promoted without the signing of Antonio. 

Who signed Antonio?

garymegson

Do you honestly think we’d have gone up with Megson? We’d lost three on the spin before the derby.  

Granted ge changed the mentality of the players so he was successful in that sense but playing for long throws and set plays is not what I call football. Each to their own though I guess.

38 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Do you honestly think we’d have gone up with Megson? We’d lost three on the spin before the derby.  

Granted ge changed the mentality of the players so he was successful in that sense but playing for long throws and set plays is not what I call football. Each to their own though I guess.

With Antonio in the side he was trying to change the style of play wasn't he. 

Unlike some more recent managers megson knew exactly what we were missing and that the style we were playing wasn't going to work. 

Do I know for a fact that he would have got us promoted. No I don't. Nobody does. But he gave Dave Jones all the tools he needed to get the job done. 

Oh and my other point would be that Jones had less to do with our turnaround than Terry Burton. When Burton left Jones was utterly clueless. May as well had me in charge. Everything turned around again when Stuart Gray came in. Someone else to tell him what to do. 

Edited by poite

7 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

That's because he called Milan a rude name.

As the saying goes, it's a results based business and his Gingerness has the highest win ration of any manager over the last 20 years, so that makes him officially our best manager over that period of time.

And the big plus is, he is one of us.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

That's because he called Milan a rude name.

As the saying goes, it's a results based business and his Gingerness has the highest win ration of any manager over the last 20 years, so that makes him officially our best manager over that period of time.

And the big plus is, he is one of us.

Just a question mate...did you enjoy the football under Megson? I certainly didn’t. We roughed teams up and scored from long throws and set plays only.  Nothing wrong with being good in those departments but when you play football like Wimbledon in the early 90s then that’s not for me I’m afraid.

I think it depends on how you want to work it out. Taken from a thread a couple of weeks ago, if win percentage then since Charlton (including him) it is Megson at 45.2%. If points per game then it is Wilkinson with 1.61. Megson is 4th on points per game and Wilkinson 2nd on win percentage. Carlos was 2nd on PPG and 3rd on win percentage. Statistics can prove anything. Prefer points per game myself.

They all brought something different. 

Only one as I recall took out the defibrillator and shocked player, groundsman , tea lady and fan back to life and made them see they should all have a pride in being associated with one of the countries oldest and most legendary names.