Westwood conspiracies

So what I was told......

He consistently got away with murder under CC and after another conflict in December/January, immediately after CC's departure, it went quite public that his time here was over and agreed by both sides.

We are only paying him a very low weekly wage but he was on a much bigger  amount for a clean sheet bonus based on his record over his first two years here.

This was evidenced to me by both the video clip below and that there have been a good few times he has played with very obvious restrictions through being injured.

The person who told me has an itk connection and is usually trustworthy with his info although it is rarely to do with Wednesday.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/why-i-was-glad-to-see-players-hurting-against-aston-villa-jon-newsome-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-1-8847665

I doubt we'll see him again but at the same time he won't actually save us that much in "real terms" financially purely based on his low basic wage and the flip side is his absence is not costing us much either at least financially anyway.

He is definitely no saint though in all this and his recent tweet re. fitness  was most likely aimed at others rather than us.

Hope he gets a move and we get chance to say thanks and we all move on if the above is true.

39 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

So what I was told......

He consistently got away with murder under CC and after another conflict in December/January, immediately after CC's departure, it went quite public that his time here was over and agreed by both sides.

We are only paying him a very low weekly wage but he was on a much bigger  amount for a clean sheet bonus based on his record over his first two years here.

This was evidenced to me by both the video clip below and that there have been a good few times he has played with very obvious restrictions through being injured.

The person who told me has an itk connection and is usually trustworthy with his info although it is rarely to do with Wednesday.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/why-i-was-glad-to-see-players-hurting-against-aston-villa-jon-newsome-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-1-8847665

I doubt we'll see him again but at the same time he won't actually save us that much in "real terms" financially purely based on his low basic wage and the flip side is his absence is not costing us much either at least financially anyway.

He is definitely no saint though in all this and his recent tweet re. fitness  was most likely aimed at others rather than us.

Hope he gets a move and we get chance to say thanks and we all move on if the above is true.

You've heard similar to me but you have been told more detail, my source really wasn't keen to go into too much detail other than Westwood is "trouble" and has been in all his time here. Can't knock his actual performances overall as his record here shows.

Shame really that it's ending this way.

8 hours ago, Pulsar said:

There have been many theories over why KW hasn't been playing for us recently ranging from image rights to bonuses activated by 150 game appearances.

The current negativity is fuelling some reyt stories, it's a good job there was no internet in the early to mid 70's.

Here's what i do know.

Most of you will know straight away who i am talking about anyway but i had an ex professional goalie in my shop last week.

While i was cutting him a load of keys we gets chatting about Westwood.

I remember him saying a couple of years back that Kieren is a good goalie but he's hard work on non match days and in the dressing room.

Anyway he was telling me that Nicky Weaver rang him recently, they are mates. NW told my customer that Westwood had asked Nicky if he could get him a move to my customer's current club (in the NW not far from Manchester) but he said no because they were ok with keepers plus would not be able to afford his wages.

His words were "he's on 20 odd grand a week"

He mentioned that all these conpiracy theories are laughable but said that NW did say that Westwood is fully fit.

I was tempted to dig a bit deeper but he is a good customer and don't want to fizz him off but he told me all this freely.

Sorry guys, i really can't say why KW is not getting into our team?

It's all way beyond baffling.

Perhaps I’m missing the point but even if this drivel is true who gives a fizz. 

So I am reading the above and thinking so what? 

He is still our best keeper, and you can hardly say team spirit has improved with Westwood's omission.

I'd suggest more senior players (the good ones), know we are better off with Westwood in the team than without him and that Westwood's inclusion hardly had a negative impact on our results previously. So sorry, still not buying this Westwood exclusion crap.

1 hour ago, sonofbert2 said:

So what I was told......

Would possibly explain when he went absolutely ballistic at us conceding a goal away at villa when we had won 2-1. As in stormed down tunnel

Would I be right to say he has been linked with a move away during every pre-season since joining? 

Perhaps he's not the most model of pros.

Needless to say, having him stuck in the stands or sniping on Twitter isn't helping anyone. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, WhiteOwl91 said:

Would possibly explain when he went absolutely ballistic at us conceding a goal away at villa when we had won 2-1. As in stormed down tunnel

Yeah...He went absolutely schizo didn't he.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah...He went absolutely schizo didn't he.

The link to the video is in my post above.

It's quite funny because JN frames the video and his reaction in terms of passion and caring but iIF what I was told is true then it is because he just lost a lot of money in the dying seconds of the game.

41 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

He is still our best keeper, and you can hardly say team spirit has improved with Westwood's omission.

I'd suggest more senior players (the good ones), know we are better off with Westwood in the team than without him and that Westwood's inclusion hardly had a negative impact on our results previously. So sorry, still not buying this Westwood exclusion crap.

I wonder whether this differs from your thoughts on other players who have tried to engineer moves away from the club?

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

Having that much desire to keep clean sheets is a terrible thing.

I don't actually think there is anything wrong with the deal in itself unless it influences a players fitness and ability to play which could then clash with other occasions when the player hasn't wanted to play.  

Remember that all this was in the context of the ethos CC adopted which came very close to getting us promoted.  However new bosses come new ideas and different ways of working which very often causes problems with players who are more "difficult" to manage.

11 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Having that much desire to keep clean sheets is a terrible thing.

Completely agree, this is a good thing. This is the way to forward for me. Wished all our players were on performance and results based contracts. Maybe then we wouldn’t have to put up with the terrible and lifeless performances we’ve had this season. Hell injured players might even come back and recover from their injuries quicker.

As for the he’s trouble business. So was Roy Keane, he could start an argument in an empty phone box but nobody doubted his leadership and quality on the field. I don’t care about any of this stuff Westwood is our best keeper and playing him gives us a better chance of winning a football match it’s that simple for me.

8 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Completely agree, this is a good thing. This is the way to forward for me. Wished all our players were on performance and results based contracts. Maybe then we wouldn’t have to put up with the terrible and lifeless performances we’ve had this season. Hell injured players might even come back and recover from their injuries quicker.

As for the he’s trouble business. So was Roy Keane, he could start an argument in an empty phone box but nobody doubted his leadership and quality on the field. I don’t care about any of this stuff Westwood is our best keeper and playing him gives us a better chance of winning a football match it’s that simple for me.

Didn’t fergie bomb Roy keane out for some stupid comments on MUTV? I mean it’s a great example, just to the wrong side of the argument I think. 

12 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Great example as I stated in post above, here’s an excerpt from Rio Ferdinand about how their captain was bombed out as a sign that no ones bigger than club... as I said it’s a great example that absolutely wins the argument, just not the side you’re arguing! 

“The scenario with Roy Keane,” recalled Ferdinand. “There was a video he’d done for MUTV that the club didn’t want to go out, the manager thought it wasn’t right, that it was too disrespectful to the team.

“The next day, he told the players that Roy Keane will never be coming back.

“He was the captain, the best player they’d had for a long period of time. That was for the next generation — don’t think you’re ever bigger than this club, because you’re not, because you’ll go, I’ve just told you the captain is never coming back again. What are you going to do now?”

2 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

So what I was told......

Westwood has signed a new deal twice under the current regime, I doubt very much if this amounted to a 'very low basic wage'. His reaction at Villa does point towards a financial loss given we had won the game, maybe he does get £5-£10K extra for a clean sheet but I still think his basic will be more than the other 2 keepers get combined and an amount that would make a difference to us financially if he were to move on.

This could still point towards him not playing for financial reasons - if the wage plus the potential bonus is big then we are saving money by not playing him - I doubt the young lads playing in goal and at the back currently have significant clean sheet bonuses and we don't look like getting a clean sheet or a win in the league any time soon anyway!

I believe there is some truth to him being a difficult character - there's often no smoke without fire in instances such as this but generally when players are such a bad influence more tends to come out quicker than it has done in this case. Also, if he was so disruptive you would expect excluding him to have an uplift in morale. This doesn't seem apparent, Westwood didn't appear to be a figure cut-off from the group when he was in the team and the fact is that while we have him we need to use him as defensively we look rudderless in terms of leadership and organisation and have some young players whose confidence will become eroded the longer we go on conceding 2 goals per game and look like conceding more.  

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

Do you not think a senior member of the squad should be setting an example? Anyone breaks the rules and you'll be dealt with?

Or is KW exempt from the rules and can act how he wants?

Do you think all our other senior players (mainly BB and FF) would stand by and watch another senior pro get treated unfairly?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Do you not think a senior member of the squad should be setting an example? Anyone breaks the rules and you'll be dealt with?

Or is KW exempt from the rules and can act how he wants?

Do you think all our other senior players (mainly BB and FF) would stand by and watch another senior pro get treated unfairly?

Personally I think we need experience at the back at the most, you know, to boss the defence, tell people what to do and such