Reinstate Stuart Gray

OK it's not a serious thread, I know its not gonna happen but we could do alot worse. 

Our change in fortunes started with this fella and it lasted to about 20 months after he left.

Makes you realise how important getting the right manager is. Get it wrong and you can destroy a club. Get it right and he can transform everything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest everydays_wednesday
2 minutes ago, Beholder said:

OK it's not a serious thread, I know its not gonna happen but we could do alot worse. 

Our change in fortunes started with this fella and it lasted to about 20 months after he left.

Makes you realise how important getting the right manager is. Get it wrong and you can destroy a club. Get it right and he can transform everything. 

Probably one of the more sensible suggestions tbh.....

4 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

The first of many poor decisions by the Chairman.

and more to come......

It would never happen. Re-instating the first manager he sacked would be admitting he'd made a mistake. 

The current position is that we are worse off than when Chansiri arrived. In more ways than one.

12 minutes ago, Beholder said:

OK it's not a serious thread,

Why not? As you say, we could do much worse, especially now big budgets are a thing of the past.

He's a capable and respected coach. He would probably get the best out of our leaky defence and  get the team organised and well drilled.

If I could turn back the clock I would keep him on and allow him to sign 2 or 3 quality players of his choice.

1 minute ago, Davetherave said:

He should never have been sacked .. at the very worse kept on as assistant manager.

He was a dedicated professional.

Yes dc stepped into the unknown and is paying the price, should have kept on grey and used his experience, instead he paid a load of numpties a fortune to get us up the creek

5 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Why not? As you say, we could do much worse, especially now big budgets are a thing of the past.

He's a capable and respected coach. He would probably get the best out of our leaky defence and  get the team organised and well drilled.

If I could turn back the clock I would keep him on and allow him to sign 2 or 3 quality players of his choice.

Agreed.

I only said that cos i was expecting a backlash but it looks like most agree. Gray was a really good manager for us and I m sure he would have taken us up if he'd been given what Carlos was given.

Edited by Beholder

Honestly convinced that Stuart Gray would have got us to Wembley in the season Carlos managed it. 

And I think he would have done it again the following season, and that's without spending big bucks on Flectcher, Abdi and the like. Huge opportunity missed after he proved he could work on a shoestring just to see what he did if you offered him the shoe to go with it. 

I watched the team many times when Gray was in charge. Not the most exciting football but well organised hate to say it but when he left we were only three players short of a very good team that could of challange for the playoffs at not a lot of cost makes me cringe thinking about it.

6 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Gray was a really good manager for us and I m sure he would have taken us up if he'd been given what Carlos was given.

I think he was a good manager for those times. I'm not sure he would have taken us up but I suspect that left to his own devices he would have invested sensibly in strengthening the team in the right places and we'd be competing at the right end of the table right now.

Edited by Roy Of The Roasters