Loss of leaders

6 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Saying that, dont remember loovens giving out many rollockings over his time here

How's that relevant?

Loovens was the best captain we've had at this club since the good old days. 

He was a leader of men. He commanded respect. You only need to look at the responses on social media to him from every player in the squad, when he left the club and subsequently, when he signed for Sunderland. He was a colossus in the changing room. Carvalhal said he was the best captain he's ever managed. 

Captain's don't give rollockings, they galvanise squad's, they command respect, they are reliable, they stand up to be counted. 

I'm not sure Loovens was replaceable. But, to not have had the opportunity to address the total lack of leadership within the squad, could well be the biggest blow in terms of our recruitment. 

Guest Bulgaria
3 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Loovens was captain, so fair enough - but as for the other two - what Leadership qualities?

Come on now be fair.... Lees was leading with his chin when he copped an unfortunate one at Mansfield.

Loovens an obvious miss, he is somebody who makes other players play better when he is on the pitch. Especially Tom Lees.

Wallace for his character and experience rather than pure leadership. Bet he was the life and soul of the dressing room, talking all the time, mainly rubbish but relaxing everybody.

And he always turned up for big games, last one being the sty last year, when he was very good.

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

How's that relevant?

Loovens was the best captain we've had at this club since the good old days. 

He was a leader of men. He commanded respect. You only need to look at the responses on social media to him from every player in the squad, when he left the club and subsequently, when he signed for Sunderland. He was a colossus in the changing room. Carvalhal said he was the best captain he's ever managed. 

Captain's don't give rollockings, they galvanise squad's, they command respect, they are reliable, they stand up to be counted. 

I'm not sure Loovens was replaceable. But, to not have had the opportunity to address the total lack of leadership within the squad, could well be the biggest blow in terms of our recruitment. 

In my opinion a captain dishes out a few rollockings aswell as praise and guidance, Id say we’ve needed all three under his captaincy. Wasnt doubting his good points

5 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Losing leaders in the dressing room is worrying me, more than losing quality.

Loovens, Wallace and Venancio. All have the kinds of leadership qualities you need to nurture young talent and help them develop.

Who are the leaders in the dressing room now?

I'm starting to worry a little.

Doesn’t losing older players to make way for youth help nurture young talent?  

Loovens was a good leader on and off pitch. However to be leader on pitch you have to be able to play to a certain standard and unfortunately his quickness of reaction has gone and he was a liability last season as a player which negates any leadership qualities.

6 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I agree it is an issue and it is one reason I would move Hutch to the back 3 so that between him Lees and Pudil we should have some experience and leadership to talk and organise on the pitch.

It is easier to do that job from the back but I am not sure Lees on his own has the right mentality.

Agree

Just reading that Brentford aren’t having a captain this season.

The players are just going to pick somebody to go up for the coin throw before each game.

Dean Smith says  having a captain encourages players to become followers rather than taking responsibility themselves.

Presumably the coin throw man will have to wear the armband as somebody will have to

22 hours ago, Blatter said:

Well said, some of our so called fans delight in denigrating everything about the club. If the team are not performing after a dozen games it would be expected but not before the season starts.

There seems to be a headlong rush to start negative ‘new’ topics in a panic about every little bit of gossip surrounding our club. 

Lets just support Wednesday and have a bit of patience, especially if and when our youngsters come into the team. To stay within P & S rules some of these kids will be the future.

It's OK to turn up tomorrow to cheer the lads on to what we all hope will be 3 points, but to also think cutting out supporters be it through rising costs or just denying them access to radio coverage, f*cking stinks. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

22 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I agree it is an issue and it is one reason I would move Hutch to the back 3 so that between him Lees and Pudil we should have some experience and leadership to talk and organise on the pitch.

It is easier to do that job from the back but I am not sure Lees on his own has the right mentality.

Agree completely.

Superb leadership, experience and toughness in that back 3.

Add in Nuhiu and/or Joao at set pieces and you have good heading ability too.

11 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

It's OK to turn up tomorrow to cheer the lads on to what we all hope will be 3 points, but to also think cutting out supporters be it through rising costs or just denying them access to radio coverage, f*cking stinks. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Fully agree about the radio coverage. My post was made before that story broke.

A season ticket holder myself,I live out of town now and can’t get Radio Sheffield so not affected by this.

However when I lived within its range I always listened and enjoyed the away game commentary.

Also have elderly friends and relatives not mobile enough to go to games who are avid listeners. I know for sure most of these cannot be arsed with internet and Ifollow and will just stop following the fortunes of the club.

Bad decision regardless of what I think of the BBC who are disgracefully management top heavy and actually are flush enough with public money to pay millions to the likes of Linekar.

44 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Just reading that Brentford aren’t having a captain this season.

The players are just going to pick somebody to go up for the coin throw before each game.

Dean Smith says  having a captain encourages players to become followers rather than taking responsibility themselves.

Presumably the coin throw man will have to wear the armband as somebody will have to

Yes, saw this earlier and it could be interesting to see how it turns out. I like the idea of collective responsibility as it stops anyone having an excuse to shirk responsibility.

On the names mentioned for Wednesday though I thought Reach led the side well last season when he had the arm band, constantly encouraging and talking to his team mates. Whether he will do it with the senior players I don't know.

21 hours ago, Blatter said:

Wind up merchant yes...leader.? Don’ t think so.

Yep he was a good aggravator, excellent shot and cross too, but found it difficult to take players on.  Didn’t really have the pace, but that can sometimes be remedied by reading the game and knowing how to be in the right place at the right time

Edited by pgmetcalf

23 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Lees just doesn't strike me as a leader /organiser on the pitch, his best and most commanding performances have normally been when loovens was alongside marshaling the other players, or towards the end of last season when venancio started to get games and he could just focus himself on defending and not having to worry about anyone else. It is a slight worry for me.