Has Jo’s seen something in Palmer

Going forward he seemed up for it. Couple of great crosses, including the goal. Kept possession well too in tight spaces.

Defensively though, completely uninterested. His unwillingness to track back for Lincoln’s best chance was an absolute disgrace. A few players had a word with about it too but he seemed to ignore them. 

Unfortunately we play with wing backs and he’s not good enough to be in the front three. So there isn’t really any remedy to his unwillingness to put in the hard yards out of possession.

He’s playing like a stand out League One level right midfielder at best for me at the minute. Regardless of how many games he may, or may not, have played in the past. On his more recent displays his ability to play as a wing back won’t be anywhere near sufficient enough for me.  

9 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

It's that bit about 100% I gave a problem with, Palmer doesn't give 100%. When he walks/jogs slowly back when he's caught upfield after a very poor cross that is nowhere near 100% and if that is him giving 100% then he needs to work a damn site harder in training to endure his 100% is significantly fitter. I can take it if individuals simply aren't good enough, that's not essentially their fault but there is never ever an excuse for walking off the pitch with something left in the tank.

Yes, he doesn't get up and down the flank as fast as Hunt....but Hunt is blessed with natural pace and athleticism that few can match (through no fault of their own, much like some lack in natural skill as you point out).

Are people a bit guilty of short term/selective memory when criticising Palmer's fitness levels though? God knows he wasn't alone in being off the pace last season....and we all know the reason why.

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Lets give Palmer a chance this season before slagging him off again. Its a new start, the players look fitter and we need to get behind the team as pulling together should fuel confidence.

yeah! BUT,  when people at the lincoln game report back that he didn't track back enough, we've all seen liam caught upfield and get back like he's on a sunday afternoon stroll, blaming carlos' fitness (or lack of it) regime can't be hidden behind anymore, if you fit put a shift in, if yer not f*** off to saltergate.

I would be disappointed if Palmer is our first choice in that position next season. The lad has been at the club long enough to show improvement which he invariably hasn't. Nothing wrong with Palmer as back up but we'd be going backwards if we didn't look to improve on Hunt, never mind Palmer.

11 minutes ago, Owl At Risk said:

Yes, he doesn't get up and down the flank as fast as Hunt....but Hunt is blessed with natural pace and athleticism that few can match (through no fault of their own, much like some lack in natural skill as you point out).

Are people a bit guilty of short term/selective memory when criticising Palmer's fitness levels though? God knows he wasn't alone in being off the pace last season....and we all know the reason why.

if he ain't fit for professional footy, he ought to have been a dart or snooker player.

7 minutes ago, dnhc said:

if he ain't fit for professional footy, he ought to have been a dart or snooker player.

That's not what I said though is it.

Is the assumption here that all sportspeople should be of identical physical capabilities? i.e. clones

For me it’s two things, or perhaps three 

Firstly, we aren’t able to spend money In fact, we need to bring money in 

Secondly, the emergence of Baker, means that, if we can’t afford to improve on what we have, then at least he’s a younger, and presumably cheaper, option than the two we had 

Thirdly, someone was prepared to pay a decent fee for Hunt, and we were in no position to turn it down

In my opinion, there was little to choose between Palmer and Hunt, both were steady and can do a job at this level In previous debates, I’ve always maintained that Palmer slightly shaded it for me, but there was never much in it All in all, if we can’t afford better, it was a good deal for us to do

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

I like to give players a chance but Palmer has played 100+ games for us, he isn’t going to turn into Cafu under Jos is he! Should be back up to a top right back coming in, starting the season with Palmer rwb wont result in a positive finish 

Mainstay in a record clean sheet defense two seasons on the trot. 

He isn't a Fredericks but he can still play in that team and not be the weak link. 

He is not a weak player. He just isn't prem class. But that is OK. 

Edited by Beholder

There’s always been potential in Palmer when it comes to simply getting up and down the pitch and putting a cross in. The latter needing work but it’s not impossible.

I think it was clear he was a bit more unsure in the tight spots when playing out from the back though which is what cost him under CC. 

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Mainstay in a record clean sheet defense two seasons on the trot. 

He isn't a Fredericks but he can still play in that team and not be the weak link. 

He is not a weak player. He just isn't prem class. But that is OK. 

This ^^^^ and it’s clear we can’t afford better 

4 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Lets give Palmer a chance this season before slagging him off again. Its a new start, the players look fitter and we need to get behind the team as pulling together should fuel confidence.

Like a few others last season, seemed to be coasting along a bit too much. Not fit enough, lacking that hunger and desire. 

If he really applies himself and listens to Jos I think we could have a very capable wing back next season. Its OK getting all up for it and motivated to chase, run and give your all against the divisions bigger fish so to speak, but they need to be showing the same commitment at such as the Millwall and Qprs of this division if they want promotion. 

Guest Arcadianrocket
26 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Palmer could be @Arcadianrocket  's Rhodes this season . Has to have somebody to moan about.

Surprise you have mentioned your hero again.

Guest Arcadianrocket
33 minutes ago, A12owl said:

If he isn't in the first 11 then we are unlikely to have a RB in the team. Any suggestions ?

Hmmm maybe Baker? Boyd on right, maybe Lee when back or how about a loan signing?

56 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

I like to give players a chance but Palmer has played 100+ games for us, he isn’t going to turn into Cafu under Jos is he! Should be back up to a top right back coming in, starting the season with Palmer rwb wont result in a positive finish 

How many games did Paul Warhurst make when by chance he turned turned into one of the most short term prolific strikers for Wednesday from being a defender. Just saying. I think Jos s hands are tied. He hasn't a pot to pish in so someone comes in for one of our rb's and he is forced to sell. Maybe no one was interested in Palmer. I think we are in the mire deeper than what most people think re finances.

If we are to go with Palmer as first choice wing back then I have no problem with that. Aslong as he proves he is up to the task I don't think any of us will. My only real concern with him is when asked to defend sometimes his position sense is a bit lacking or maybe he just need to turn on the afterburners in order to get him there quicker.

Dress it up any way you like but we are weaker with the departure of Hunt. When Jos first took over he gave Palmer a run of games and then did the same with Hunt. Jos chose Hunt as his first choice wingback as Hunt's performances (after a poor start) went upwards and Palmer's went the opposite way. Palmer was well and truly second fiddle when Jos made the call to go with Hunt. I think this decision did Palmer no favours and resulted in his absolutely shambolic performance against Ipswich where I actually felt for the lad.

Jos did exactly the same with Nuhiu, Joao and Rhodes. The first two took their chance while the other failed.

It looks like Palmer is going to get an unexpected second bite at the cherry due to the financial mess we are in. I hope he can prove my opinion of him wrong as I am poo scared about our weakness in both wingback positions. If things stay as they are I think any opposition manager would be pretty stupid not to target those positions. If Jos has any say on transfers he has got to bring in a RWB and a LWB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3