Wing Backs

6 minutes ago, Dandrewchaz said:

Byram was quality who's never really got a chance at West ham and looks less likely now that they've recruited on mass. They've got a habit of recruiting from lower leagues and not utilising them (Byram, Snodgrass, Hugill - with Antonio being the exception). If Malone isn't going to get utilised I'm sure he'd be available on loan. 

I think Moses Odubajo could be an option currently a free agent but on trial at Celtic. It doesn't look like he's been picked up yet (despite being there for three weeks) so I'd explore him as an option but probably require fletcher and/or a few big earners moving on before that.

Byram would be an excellent signing. 

Not sure on Odubajo those. To go from being the best right back in the league 3 seasons ago to being without a club for 3 weeks, alarm bells should be ringing. probably down to his injuries mind.

On 14/07/2018 at 08:35, torryowl said:

Ashley young seems to cope …..

He really tore the World Cup to bits. Very rarely makes it to the end on most games.

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

At the risk of becoming repetitive, Palmer is underrated. 

If Jos gives him a very specific remit, he will do really well this season my opinion. 

I do like Palmer but would like to see challenging with someone other than Ash Baker. I think wing backs are the only position where we don't have at least two quality senior pros who are natural in these roles. I'm hoping Palmer kicks on this season though and get's appreciated for what he contributes.

2 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

He really tore the World Cup to bits. Very rarely makes it to the end on most games.

I think he's crap but the powers that be Mourinho & southgate probably know more than me and seem happy to play him ……..he  was an  example that playing wing back isn't just  the domain of young players as someone stated earlier in this thread .all that matters is ability age(young or old) doesn't come into it 

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Reach is one if the most natural wing-backs I have seen . 

He is is like a fish out of water as a  CM. Hope Jos puts him wide before we kick off. 

In an interview towards the end of the season they asked Reach what his best position was. He said LWB and I think he said he expected to play there when everyone’s back and fit. May be wrong. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dandrewchaz said:

I think Moses Odubajo could be an option currently a free agent but on trial at Celtic. It doesn't look like he's been picked up yet (despite being there for three weeks) so I'd explore him as an option but probably require fletcher and/or a few big earners moving on before that.

Odubajo would be a great signing even if he’s half the player he was before his injury 

32 minutes ago, Beholder said:

At the risk of becoming repetitive, Palmer is underrated. 

If Jos gives him a very specific remit, he will do really well this season my opinion. 

I think like Nuhiu, it’s really hard for Palmer to come in now and then and do anything other than a solid job. 

Surely needs a month or so of solid games to build any sort of match fitness, form, confidence? 

Also I’m sure he’s on vastly less than majority of the squad in terms of salary. I really don’t get why everyone so quickly dismisses players like him, that have minimal resale value and cost to replace almost certainly is higher both in transfer and salary. 

On 14/07/2018 at 07:48, Bouncing Owl said:

I’d go with Baker and Reach for the wing back role at the moment. Don’t rate Palmer and Fox.

Byram and Malone would be absolutely spot on deals but I’m not feeling any good vibes about us making any signings at the moment. 

I know you can't read much into an opening pre season friendly against league 2 opposition but Palmer looked light years ahead of Baker on Friday.

18 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I know you can't read much into an opening pre season friendly against league 2 opposition but Palmer looked light years ahead of Baker on Friday.

no surprise when he's got 200 games under his  belt and baker as one …….ive only seen baker the once and he did ok defensively but offered little going forward .now those who have seen him more often may have there own views but why anyone who only saw his one appearance in the 1st team thinks he's our best option I find difficult to understand . 

The key players if we play 3 at the back are the wide centre backs.

While the wing backs need to have the energy to get up and down the pitch it is the wide centre backs that make the system work or not.

They have to be good enough defenders to play as a proper centre half but mobile enough to cover the space and basically play as full backs when the wing backs push on. 

If they are not capable of doing this then the wing backs can’t get forward and you end up with a back 5.

This is why Southgate played Walker instead of a conventional centre half 

7 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The key players if we play 3 at the back are the wide centre backs.

While the wing backs need to have the energy to get up and down the pitch it is the wide centre backs that make the system work or not.

They have to be good enough defenders to play as a proper centre half but mobile enough to cover the space and basically play as full backs when the wing backs push on. 

If they are not capable of doing this then the wing backs can’t get forward and you end up with a back 5.

This is why Southgate played Walker instead of a conventional centre half 

is there need for a conventional centre half at world/european level (jack charlton john terry esque)?

can you get away with it for a season in the championship?

There’s a lot of different views on Reach at LWB. I do like a Reach breaking down the wing, but for me he’s far too defensively vulnerable to play wing back. Even if the priority is going forward they have to have some awareness defensively and I don’t think Reach has it.

Another season developing at CM and I think he’ll find that to be his best position.

12 minutes ago, joelswfc said:

There’s a lot of different views on Reach at LWB. I do like a Reach breaking down the wing, but for me he’s far too defensively vulnerable to play wing back. Even if the priority is going forward they have to have some awareness defensively and I don’t think Reach has it.

Another season developing at CM and I think he’ll find that to be his best position.

Will he get in cm week in week out ahead of Pelupessy, Bannan, Lee,  even hutch. Doubt it. 

Left wing back be where he plays 80% off his games next season.

3 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I think like Nuhiu, it’s really hard for Palmer to come in now and then and do anything other than a solid job. 

Surely needs a month or so of solid games to build any sort of match fitness, form, confidence? 

Also I’m sure he’s on vastly less than majority of the squad in terms of salary. I really don’t get why everyone so quickly dismisses players like him, that have minimal resale value and cost to replace almost certainly is higher both in transfer and salary. 

Palmer got his chance and a run of games when Jos arrived and briefly upped his game then quickly reverted to type. The night game against Ipswich must rank as one of the worst ever performances I've witnessed from a Wednesday fullback, even worse than when Beswertherick  (sp?) got subbed in the first half. His wages are irrelevant to me as he's not good enough whether he's on £1,000 a week or £10,000. We need quality in both wingback positions as it's such a vital role if we are going with a back three, we would probably need 4 players capable of playing that role (2 x lwb, 2 x rwb) due to the fitness requirements, at the moment we haven't even got one proven decent option. 

I see the arguments for playing Reach at LWB but I always got the feeling Jos did not want to play him there, I think we only gave it a go once for the full 90 mins and I watched him closely and he looked very naive defensively and I wouldn't like to see him against a genuine winger but he definitely gave us another dimension going forward. 

Seems such a massive gamble on two key positions to assume that Reach, Lee or even Plessy will just come in and all will be well. Palmer, Fox and Boyd have been nowhere near the required standard in those positions and then there's the two unknowns in Penney and Baker? Maybe Jos hasn't got any other option other than to go with what we have, if that is the reality then it's a very sobering thought and I think I would go with Reach at LWB  and Plessy at RWB. I was hoping that two flying wingbacks were a priority for us, hopefully Jos has got some say on signings and I'd be pretty confident he would see the wingbacks as a major weakness,

19 minutes ago, Rogers said:

I’d say Jos is gonna try Boyd at wing back, as he has a good engine. 

I hope they've fixed his engine then as the one he was using last season was in engine management mode.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, joelswfc said:

Exactly my thoughts. Reach can do a job as a wing back. He’s good going forward and his delivery is generally good, against weaker teams when you are not tested defensively it totally works. However it’s not the answer because he doesn’t have the defensive work rate to get back and see things as natural defender would and he tackles like a boy Scout. 

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

I hope they've fixed his engine then as the one he was using last season was in engine management mode.

Lol exactly my thoughts from last season. However people at the Lincoln game said he looked fit and athletic and was getting up and down. I watched the highlights of the game and I have to agree from the bits I saw he looked a different player physically to the one we saw last year.....