Wing Backs

So it’s pretty obvious we’re going with wing backs next season. For me in this formation your wing backs are the 2 key players.

They have to be able to carry the ball forward and attack otherwise the team will never move up the pitch. 

We saw tonight the difference from Baker/Fox not been able to carry the ball forward to Palmer/Boyd been able to. 

For me we need to upgrade these positions. Palmer and Boyd are decent back ups, and it looks like he doesn’t see Reach as a wing back. 

Perfect scenario would be to get Sam Byram and Scott Malone on loan. But we don’t live in a perfect world unfortunately. 

Any other decent wing backs out there? 

Byram and Malone would be handy. 

If Barry Douglas becomes available at Wolves, his stats would suggest he's "the cream of the crop signing" 

Played 39 - Goals 5 - Assists 14 

^

They are the stats of a LB/LWB you want in your team!

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I’d go with Baker and Reach for the wing back role at the moment. Don’t rate Palmer and Fox.

Byram and Malone would be absolutely spot on deals but I’m not feeling any good vibes about us making any signings at the moment. 

Boyd 

seems like both wing back spots are up for grabs so a chance for someone in these practice games to nab themselves a starting place …....palmer & boyd would be my guess at who'll be lining up at wigan .though my preferred choice would be boyd & reach but I don't think jos will go that way .  

I think a bit of clever scouting and business looking down in league one there's a few who play as wingbacks around the 23/24 age bracket I think Jos is aiming for who could possibly step up nnd improve, personally I'm not that knowlegeable as far as picking names out, but there's got to be a bargain or two under our noses if we look. 

13 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I’d go with Baker and Reach for the wing back role at the moment. Don’t rate Palmer and Fox.

Byram and Malone would be absolutely spot on deals but I’m not feeling any good vibes about us making any signings at the moment. 

13 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Hes been out on his feet in the last few games. Completely gone.

Last night Palmer played really well and was far better going forward than Baker. Boyd was the best I've seen him. Looked much fitter, made some good runs forward and made some of their players look silly at times. Reach played in midfield so we missed his runs down the wing which were great against Norwich. Didn't think he looked that great last night compared to the other midfielders like Hutch, Bannan and Hunt. Shame as I think he's a perfect left wing back.  

For a team that is going to play with wingbacks we are fundamentally flawed. Palmer, Fox and Boyd are garbage and the rest are all unknown quantities. We need two proven wingbacks to give the system a chance of working. 

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

Last night Palmer played really well and was far better going forward than Baker. Boyd was the best I've seen him. Looked much fitter, made some good runs forward and made some of their players look silly at times. Reach played in midfield so we missed his runs down the wing which were great against Norwich. Didn't think he looked that great last night compared to the other midfielders like Hutch, Bannan and Hunt. Shame as I think he's a perfect left wing back.  

Can't believe he would have played Reach wing back at Norwich if he wasn't planning on at least trying it again this season. 

Reach was required for a midfield role against Lincoln as we were short in that position having deciding Jones and Abdi are no good and leaving them at home. 

Providing there are no new signings I will be amazed if we are not 3-4-3 against Wigan and the 4 is not.

Palmer  Pelupessy  Bannan  Reach

Byram was quality who's never really got a chance at West ham and looks less likely now that they've recruited on mass. They've got a habit of recruiting from lower leagues and not utilising them (Byram, Snodgrass, Hugill - with Antonio being the exception). If Malone isn't going to get utilised I'm sure he'd be available on loan. 

I think Moses Odubajo could be an option currently a free agent but on trial at Celtic. It doesn't look like he's been picked up yet (despite being there for three weeks) so I'd explore him as an option but probably require fletcher and/or a few big earners moving on before that.