CONFIRMED | Jordan Rhodes leaves #SWFC for Norwich on loan

6 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Thought he signed a 4 year contract in july 2017? Meaning when he comes back next summer he'll still have 2 years left with us. 

Could be right mate, thought it was loan Feb-Jun 2017 then a 3 year contract from July 2017. Still, a 29 year old would still struggle to fetch anywhere near what we paid I'd guess.

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Isn’t it better for us to keep Rhodes longer. Not 100% on this but my understanding is players sold lose the benefit of spreading cost over term of contract. 

8m over 4 years = 2m per year against books. Once you sell Him it’s 3x2m so 6m  against you.

So in theory better to take loan deal. 

Aye mate, a couple of other posters have just mentioned that (might have been in another thread). For FFP, it makes more sense for us to lose money over the course of Rhodes' contract than to recoup a permanent transfer fee now. Totally bonkers! lol

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Could be right mate, thought it was loan Feb-Jun 2017 then a 3 year contract from July 2017. Still, a 29 year old would still struggle to fetch anywhere near what we paid I'd guess.

Not if he scores 20+ next season, there'll be some parachute club willing to throw money about no doubt lol

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

At this point it's about cutting our losses while also keeping an eye on FFP. Because even today we won't be getting near what we paid, it's in the club's best interest to loan him out as opposed to registering a loss.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Wrong on a couple of levels here mate.

Long story short... selling Rhodes this season would put a greater strain on our FFP position than if we sell him next. Selling him this season would have been like shooting ourselves in the foot, it was never an option. 

He's also on nowhere near £50k. I have no idea where you got it from, but it's wrong. It's more like £35k

Even if hes on £35k pw not £50k thats still £1.82 million in wages

1 hour ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Cracking player in there somewhere. Hope he does well for him for his sake, another dud season and I don't think his career recovers from that which would be a shame for both us and him

He's hiding this cracking player VERY VERY well.

Saw all his games for us and he was awful. 

58 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

No wonder football clubs are a mess. So, for ease of maths, let's say the fee was £8m and Rhodes signed a 4 year contract. We pay Boro £2m a year, but if we sell him 2 years into a 4 year contract, we owe Boro the £2m for that season, plus the remaining £4m for the other two years?

Bonkers. Utter bonkers.

We pay Middlesbrough whatever and whenever we agreed to pay them.

You are describing how it gets reported financialy to the FL not how we pay Middlesbrough.

• Like 1

I honestly believe this is a Bad, Bad, move.

However, If Jordan Rhodes ever choses to look at Owlstalk, he will be of the opinion that almost everyone wants him gone.

Personally, I would be much happier if Jordan Rhodes stayed with us and played a big part in our promotion push.

Good Luck and all the best Jordan.

I think you deserved better than this.

38 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Were but we arent now. CC shot his confidence 

All this confidence talk is nonsense 

Lack of confidence doesn't make you run like you've got the hips and fitness of a 90 year old woman.

His time as a decent forward has been and gone - it had before we stupidly paid for him 

Financially, this a no brainer. Jos clearly didn’t rate him, and as we are looking to balance the books there wasn’t really a decision to be made. 

Footballing wise, it’s a shocker. I just can’t fathom out how we’ve managed to turn one of the most potent centre forwards of his generation, at this level, into what we witnessed last season. 

I thought he was a great signing and a brilliant gamble. Fulham did the same with Mitrovic, and it paid off. 

I honestly think he will find a home, hit form, and make us look like absolute donkeys. Good luck to the lad. 

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2018/july/rhodes-interview/

Rhodes commented: [A full-house every week] is something I’ve rarely had,” said Rhodes. “But it will be something different and I’m really looking forward to it."

Cheers for that Jordan! A prolific Jordan Rhodes is something that sadly the Wednesday faithful have never experienced in their own colours! :picnic:

I know it's par for the course for players to make positive comments about the club they are joining but not sure there was a need for a subtle dig about our crowds, purposeful or otherwise.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2018/july/rhodes-interview/

Rhodes commented: [A full-house every week] is something I’ve rarely had,” said Rhodes. “But it will be something different and I’m really looking forward to it."

Cheers for that Jordan! A prolific Jordan Rhodes is something that sadly the Wednesday faithful have never experienced in their own colours! :picnic:

I know it's par for the course for players to make positive comments about the club they are joining but not sure there was a need for a subtle dig about our crowds, purposeful or otherwise.

Ain't he making a dig at the size of their ground.

lol

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Shame this, he will score goals for them imo. I just hope we can get a few players signed now. Would have let a few of the other strikers leave before him.

Problem is he's failed at his last two clubs so obviously something not right.