CONFIRMED | Jordan Rhodes leaves #SWFC for Norwich on loan

Jordan Rhodes.jpeg

Owls striker Jordan Rhodes has signed for Norwich on a season-long loan.

Rhodes joins the Canaries ahead of the 2018/19 campaign.

The 28-year-old moved to Hillsborough, initially on loan, from Middlesbrough in January 2017.

The transfer became permanent the following summer.

Rhodes has since made 55 appearances for the Owls, scoring ten goals.

Owlstalk Shop

Jordan Rhodes.jpeg

Norwich City are delighted to confirm the signing of striker Jordan Rhodes on a season-long loan deal from Sheffield Wednesday.

Rhodes, 28, began his professional career with Ipswich Town before joining Huddersfield Town in the summer of 2009.

He scored 87 goals in 143 games at the John Smith's Stadium, including 36 league goals in the 2011-12 League One season, the most ever for a Terriers player in one campaign.

The Scottish international then moved to Blackburn Rovers in 2012 and carried on his superb goalscoring form, scoring 85 times in four seasons.

Most recently, Rhodes has played for Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday and now becomes the Canaries’ sixth summer signing after the arrivals of Emi Buendia, Moritz Leitner, Teemu Pukki, Ben Marshall and Felix Passlack.  

Speaking to canaries.co.uk, Rhodes said: “The move took its time in the end but now that it’s finally happened, it’s a real pleasure to be here.

“It’s a fantastic football club with a great fanbase and if I play a few games this season, it will be a pleasure to do so.

“I’m looking forward to getting settled and starting up and playing a few games with the team. I’m really looking forward to pulling on the yellow and green jersey.

“It’s a sell-out every week and there are a few familiar faces here that I already know. They’ve made me feel really welcome already.

“I’m really looking forward to settling into the area, getting to know everyone and really taking in the local surroundings.”

Head Coach Daniel Farke said: “We’re very pleased. Jordan has proved for many years that he’s able to play at this level and to score and assist.

“We were looking to strengthen our squad in terms of scoring goals and assists and he’s also at a great age where he can develop his game even more.

“I also like a lot his attitude on the pitch. He always works hard for the team and he’s a brilliant character. He was desperate to join us and I’m pleased that he’s here.”

Owlstalk Shop

Don't get the point in loaning Rhodes out to another Championship side to be honest.

Norwich clearly wanted him, we should have stood firm for a permanent transfer so we could finally move on if he has no future with us.

This time next year we could be getting a 29 year old back, in the final 12 months of his contract (so worth bugger all), still pulling his £50k a week, and not in our plans.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Don't get the point in loaning Rhodes out to another Championship side to be honest.

Norwich clearly wanted him, we should have stood firm for a permanent transfer so we could finally move on if he has no future with us.

This time next year we could be getting a 29 year old back, in the final 12 months of his contract (so worth bugger all), still pulling his £50k a week, and not in our plans.

Wrong on a couple of levels here mate.

Long story short... selling Rhodes this season would put a greater strain on our FFP position than if we sell him next. Selling him this season would have been like shooting ourselves in the foot, it was never an option. 

He's also on nowhere near £50k. I have no idea where you got it from, but it's wrong. It's more like £35k

Wish him all the best, just never worked for him here. Glad to get the business done early and then Jos can focus on his main squad for the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more leave before the end of July.

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Shame this, he will score goals for them imo. I just hope we can get a few players signed now. Would have let a few of the other strikers leave before him.

Clubs have to be interested in them.

As much as i like Jordan Rhodes, fact is it's not worked out here...and he's too expensive to have sat on the bench. Based on his record here he's behind Joao, Hooper, Nuhiu, Fletcher and Fessi in the pecking order.