WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

Sorry if anyone has already posted on this but I have just read Maradona's anti-England rant

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/fifa-world-cup/diego-maradona-goes-on-incredible-anti-england-rant-after-world-cup-2018-win-against-colombia/ar-AAzz1aJ?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

Obviously too much Columbian over the years.

The man is an absolute melt

• Like 1

FWIW, had England lost that game it would have been a freaking travesty. Easily the better side on the day. My fear was that a loss would mean revert to type and continue with the dross endured for the last 20 years.

I was surprised that Colombia didn't make more of the opportunity. I expected them to be much more attacking. Perhaps if James had played they might have been, but one player is unlikely to make that much of a difference.

The match up with Sweden will be interesting as two very different approaches. I'm torn as I have a soft spot for Sweden but this is one of the most exciting England teams I've seen for nearly 30 years (Italia 90). I think the Italia team in terms of team on paper was probably on another level but this lot are playing well together and are great to watch...and they're young and will probably only get better. Well done Gareth. Long may it continue.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Toon Owl said:

Sorry if anyone has already posted on this but I have just read Maradona's anti-England rant

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/fifa-world-cup/diego-maradona-goes-on-incredible-anti-england-rant-after-world-cup-2018-win-against-colombia/ar-AAzz1aJ?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

Agreed ....

To single out The ref Mark "Geiger" for blame is the rant of an attention seeking buffoon ..

I believe he's on very "shaky ground" this time .....:ph34r:

• Like 2

Guest Bulgaria
47 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Agreed ....

To single out The ref Mark "Geiger" for blame is the rant of an attention seeking buffoon ..

I believe he's on very "shaky ground" this time .....:ph34r:

South Americans....

The folk with the biggest chips ever on their shoulder.

Colombia.

Ha ha ha ha ha 

Hope they are so mad and getting some serious grief back home.

Oh, did i mention,,,,,   Colombia.......  Ha ha ha ha ha ha

It's Maradona spouting the usual crap, probably as a follow-up to that photo of him wearing a Colombian shirt

But aside from his puerile expressions of self-importance the message seems to be aimed at the Colombian people:

'Don't be too hard on the players.'

I realize the Escobar incident was over 20 years ago but maybe this type of comment needs to be said? Dunno

As for that cheating little toad, the day he says something nice about England is the day I'll know we're doing something wrong

5 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

It's Maradona spouting the usual crap, probably as a follow-up to that photo of him wearing a Colombian shirt

But aside from his puerile expressions of self-importance the message seems to be aimed at the Colombian people:

'Don't be too hard on the players.'

I realize the Escobar incident was over 20 years ago but maybe this type of comment needs to be said? Dunno

As for that cheating little toad, the day he says something nice about England is the day I'll know we're doing something wrong

Mate the players who missed pens have already had death threats, so yeah, that type of comment really does still need to be said unfortunately 

the Colombians employed a lot of unsavoury cheating tactics...

...but in the interests of balance, we must remember we have one of the biggest cheats ever to have played the game, Ashley Young, who even rivals Pepe

and the Swedes are well aware of this.

can't for the life of me understand how he gets the nod ahead of Rose

6 hours ago, Davidioso said:

...but in the interests of balance, we must remember we have one of the biggest cheats ever to have played the game, Ashley Young, who even rivals Pepe

Agreed.

But it wasn’t so much the diving that got me going, it was the really obvious tactic of trying to get us to lose our cool, and the refs inability to get a grip on it.

The fiasco of the penalty delay could have been dealt with very swiftly. Send some cùnt off.

• Like 1

The Colombians deserved to lose.  They didn't even try to play football.  

Think that approach came from their management. 

They even tried to scuff the penalty spot when the ref wasn't looking.  That in itself should have warranted a red card. 

6 hours ago, Davidioso said:

Havent seenYoung  up to any tricks in this World Cup though !! 

18 hours ago, Toon Owl said:

Image may contain: 1 person, meme and text

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ronio said:

The Colombians deserved to lose.  They didn't even try to play football.  

Think that approach came from their management. 

They even tried to scuff the penalty spot when the ref wasn't looking.  That in itself should have warranted a red card. 

They looked a decent side when they did decide to play.  Surprised they finished the game with eleven players.  

16 minutes ago, Watson said:

They looked a decent side when they did decide to play.  

Indeed.

They’d be better served asking why their manager took such a cowardly approach to the game rather than blaming the ref