WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

6 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Is this World Cup a sign that the traditional footballing powers are being caught by emerging nations?

I'd say that it's more a sign that the days of individual superstars are over and the era of TEAM performances is arriving

Owlstalk Shop

Belgium  3-2  Japan ... Another corker - another marked contrast from the game that preceded it

Goals, pace and the spirit in which the game was played - also a ref that let the play flow rather than award a free kick

every time a player hit the deck

Japan were terrific and didn't deserve to lose - especially with the last kick

Belgium weren't shabby either, they hit the post, missed a few simple chances but needed a fluke to get back into it

Brazil teed me off - Japan restored my faith. So come on Belgium, make the next game count

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd say that it's more a sign that the days of individual superstars are over and the era of TEAM performances is arriving

I was thinking that as well. Shows that a well drilled, hard working team can defeat a couple of stars that used to carry some of these “bigger” nations in the past.