WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

It's right what Bilic said last night

At the weekend it was "Come on England, chances don't come better than this."

And the closer to kick off we get the more Colombia are made out to be world-beaters - well they aren't

They're okay, that's all. I've watched all three of their games and for most of the last one they were going home

If England approach this in the right frame of mind then there's nothing to worry about

Belgium were complacent against Japan and almost paid the price - if ever we needed a wake-up call then that was it

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

It's right what Bilic said last night

At the weekend it was "Come on England, chances don't come better than this."

And the closer to kick off we get the more Colombia are made out to be world-beaters - well they aren't

They're okay, that's all. I've watched all three of their games and for most of the last one they were going home

If England approach this in the right frame of mind then there's nothing to worry about

Belgium were complacent against Japan and almost paid the price - if ever we needed a wake-up call then that was it

They were fantastic against Poland. One of the best performances I've seen from a team at this World Cup in my opinion. Won 3-0, could/should have been 5 or 6. They worked like dogs, Barrios in midfield was infectious, and with three flair players in behind Falcao, they looked the real deal. 

For some strange reason, Peckeman changed it against Senegal, and brought Sanchez back in, whose far more passive, and as a result, Colombia had to grind instead of the play. By all accounts Barrios is back in today. 

The concern for tonight, is the way Colombia continued to exploit the half spaces behind Poland's wing backs. England have looked vulnerable down their left side especially, behind Young and Maguire's lack of mobility could see us struggle to contain Colombia creating overloads in those areas. 

If Peckeman's brings in Barrios, and looks to engage England and go toe to toe with us, we could be in for a tricky night. If he sets up to protect and contain, I'd fancy us to have enough to see them off.

Make no mistake though, Colombia are a more than decent side...and much better than anything we've faced as yet. But then again, England are much better than anything Colombia have faced yet either. 

• Thanks 1

Sweden  1-0  Switzerland ... Spent the first 65mins wondering how both sides knew Mark Lawrenson was co-commentating

If he hadn't written the script then at least this game was right up his street

Sweden had most of the chances in the 1st half and fluffed the lot

They eventually went ahead through a wicked deflection and then it was the Swiss turn to make hard work of it

To be fair, neither team had raised their game considering the prize and although I might've predicted some late

VAR intervention (given those FIFA connections) it happened at the other end and, in keeping with the rest of the

game, came to nothing

• Like 1

Colombia  1-1  England ... So much for 'stay clam and watch the match unfold'

I don't really think I enjoyed ANY of that, although there were probably a few moments in the 1st half that resembled

a normal game of football

I don't think those 15mins or so after the award of England's penalty had anything to do with sport

I just wanted it to finish and apart from Walker giving me kittens every time he got the ball in the last 10mins I thought

we'd just about done enough

But nooo, 93rd minute - so typical

And then we gave Colombia the freedom of the park throughout the first period of extra time

Woke up in the second period, nearly scored a couple of times, and then actually won, yes WON a penalty shoot-out

But not before putting us all through the wringer one more time

I'm going to bed now - but somehow, I don't think I'll get much sleep            

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Colombia were an utter embarassment, couldnt believe what I was seeing from their antics. How they had no one sent off is a miracle, ref didnt control them at all. 

Used to be a fan of their style of play, not anymore. Adios amigos, good riddance you have been a disgrace to the world cup.

Have enjoyed most of these world cup games but didnt enjoy tonight at all. Not just because it was England, it was a really poor game for a WC last 16 match. Thought we shouldve put them to bed but just wouldnt do it, Sweden aint gonna be pretty next.

Edited by swfc-dan