WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

41 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Colombia were an utter embarassment, couldnt believe what I was seeing from their antics. How they had no one sent off is a miracle, ref didnt control them at all. 

Used to be a fan of their style of play, not anymore. Adios amigos, good riddance you have been a disgrace to the world cup.

Have enjoyed most of these world cup games but didnt enjoy tonight at all. Not just because it was England, it was a really poor game for a WC last 16 match. Thought we shouldve put them to bed but just wouldnt do it, Sweden aint gonna be pretty next.

Are you sure?

763705392_.thumb.jpg.f57cd7394a7c969ca12c56838be84179.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Morepork said:

I'm absolutely loving seeing defenders being nailed by the officials for manhandling opposition players at set pieces, it had reached a ridiculous level. Hopefully, it will filter down.

I just wish they'd do something about dissent and simulation now

Colombia took harrassment to new depths last night and the ref acted as though he was powerless to prevent it

In truth, he's the ONLY one in a position to nip it in the bud

I bet Uriah Renney wouldn't have stood for it (not that he'd be reffing an England game) or this guy ...

KLfYOfF.jpg

That's it, we need more scary refs  :mad:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I just wish they'd do something about dissent and simulation now

Colombia took harrassment to new depths last night and the ref acted as though he was powerless to prevent it

In truth, he's the ONLY one in a position to nip it in the bud

I bet Uriah Renney wouldn't have stood for it (not that he'd be reffing an England game) or this guy ...

KLfYOfF.jpg

That's it, we need more scary refs  :mad:

Agree, those penalty protests went on for about 3 minutes, not to mention all the other sh!te. 

6 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Agree, those penalty protests went on for about 3 minutes, not to mention all the other sh!te. 

Yep really poor reffing. If that was me I’d have brandished it at 3 more of them and they’d have soon got the flipping idea! Bunch of cheating fizzes. Part of me glad they had that little bit of hope before we took it from them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morepork said:

It was similar v Panama too, which makes me think the problem has a lot to do with geography

But the object of this behaviour isn't to change the ref's mind, that won't happen, but to unsettle the penalty taker

The ref has to be aware of it, so by allowing this dissent to continue for minutes on end he's actually condoning it

You've got to say that the 3 minutes of antics after the award of the penalty ultimately was to their benefit by equalizing in the 93rd minute.  They should have had a player sent off in the first for the intent and contact with Henderson (anyone ever receiving a head butt knows it wasn't a head butt), and Sanchez should have gone for two yellows at the penalty.  His actions and dissent fully warranted a second yellow.  I'd even go so far as to say the right back/wing back was borderline on receiving a second yellow.

Its not how anybody wants to see a game decided by having the opposition reduced to 10 or even 9 men, but football has a real problem with respect for the officials.  I'd love to have them on microphones so everyone can hear what is being said to the referee.  Its been said before, but we could learn a lot from Rugby Union.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Barrios, who should have had red and only got yellow committed several fouls worse than the one that Lingard got booked for. I couldn't believe he stayed on the pitch.

I thought that was the real danger the longer the 2nd half progressed

That the ref would try to 'even things up' by awarding free kicks to Colombia, maybe even a penalty given the chance, and start booking our players in an effort to calm theirs down a little

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I thought that was the real danger the longer the 2nd half progressed

That the ref would try to 'even things up' by awarding free kicks to Colombia, maybe even a penalty given the chance, and start booking our players in an effort to calm theirs down a little

That would have been a nightmare.

Vardy has apparently got a bit of a groin strain.

Whilst not a starter I think that'd be a blow. I think he helped alleviate the building pressure when he came on with his willingness to pressure he back line when our forward players were otherwise looking out on their feet. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

The Ref has got the power under current ules to sop payrs crowdng him. After his decision, anyone possibly with the exception of the aptan, should be waned, then Yellow or even red cards. 

Maybe a change and introductio of the Sin Bin would help..

Havng said that, I'm sory to ay that, penalty (ies)apart,, their goalkeeper had an easy game. Yes, even during our better periods, we did not manage a shot on goal.. And unless you shoot you are not likely to score. if you don't shoot, or head the ball at goal, you will not do this.. Look at England's record. Kane is our leading Goalscorer and most of his goals have been penalties. The further we progress, the more defences will toughen up.  

6 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

The Ref has got the power under current ules to sop payrs crowdng him. After his decision, anyone possibly with the exception of the aptan, should be waned, then Yellow or even red cards. 

Havng said that, I'm sory to ay that, penalty (ies)apart,, their goalkeeper had an easy game. Yes, even during our better periods, we did not manage a shot on goal.. And unless you shoot you are not likely to score. if you don't shoot, or head the ball at goal, you will not do this.. Look at England's record. Kane is our leading Goalscorer and most of his goals have been penalties. The further we progress, the more defences will toughen up.  

Is that you Crabtree?

56 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Norman Collier lives ....

"Reborn" as Buxton Gent .....

lol

• Haha 5